Brewster Rockit: Space Guy!
is a newspaper comic by Tim Rickard. It chronicles the crazy antics of the crew of the space station R.U. Sirius
, led by Cloudcuckoolander
Captain Brewster Rockit.
Brewster Rockit: Space Guy! provides examples of:
- Action Mom: Pam. She's a divorced mother of two.
- Adorably Precocious Child: Winky.
- Aliens Speaking English: Lampshaded at least once.
- A Planet Named Zok: Zorgo, the home planet of the Zorgons.
- Applied Phlebotinum / Misapplied Phlebotinum / Just Think of the Potential: Benevolent aliens decide to give humans an unlimited energy source. Dr. Mel's first thought is how to weaponize it.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Brewster, principally.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: Tim Rickard sounds like Picard.
- Big Bad: Dirk Raider.
- Butt Monkey: Winky. Also Ensign Ted, but less frequently.
- Catch Phrase: "Aaah! My spleen!"
- Cloudcuckoolander: Brewster.
- Companion Cube: Bucky the Robot, a bucket on a coat rack who nonetheless managed to win an election.
- Crush! Kill! Destroy!: Killbot's campaign slogan.
- Dead TV Remote Gag: Ended in a Stable Time Loop.
- Dumb Is Good: Maybe not in general, but Brewster reportedly was a much less likable Narcissist before his brain damage.
- Earth All Along: Done twice, once in a Planet of the Apes storyline and another when Brewster crashed in an Earth Wal-Mart and thought he was on another planet.
- Expy: Dirk Raider is a take off of Darth Vader, though the man himself shows up now and again.
- Fat Bastard: Cliff Clewless.
- Flashback Effects: Things get all wavy when someone reminisces.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Why Pam remains loyal to Brewster. He was a highly competent space captain who sacrificed his brain to save her from aliens.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Pam.
- Idiot Hero: Brewster.
- Ice Cream Koan: Toada.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Agent X's amnesia spray. He even uses it once on the audience.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Brewster once had a dream where he and other newspaper comics were being threatened by a dangerous ink spill.
- The Masquerade: No one on Earth knows about the aliens... somehow.
- Meet Your Early Installment Weirdness: Whenever the crew travels into the station's past, the characters are drawn as they were back then.
- The Men in Black: Agent X.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Dr. Mel has one. Doubles as a Mad Scientist.
- Noodle Implements: The strips for September 18 and 19 of 2007.
- Only Sane Employee: Pam.
- Only Sane Man: Pam and occasionally Brewster.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Brewster's Groucho glasses. To make matters worse, his Line-of-Sight Name is "door."
- Planet of Hats: Planet of the donut people, anyone?
- Punny Name: Just about everyone who doesn't have a Meaningful Name. Pamela Mae Snap, Dr. Mel Practice, Cliff Clewless, etc.
- Red Shirt: Ensign Kenny!
- Right-Hand Cat: In several strips, Dr. Mel has a cat.
- Shout Out/The Cameo: Numerous Science Fiction references. Dozens of Star Trek Shout Outs.
- Shown Their Work: Sunday strips will often focus on Dr. Mel a lecture on the planets and stars, often ending in a Genius Bonus joke. Not surprising, since Tim Rickard is a MENSA member.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: The standard alien abduction restraining method.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Brewster loves his ham.
- Too Dumb to Live: Multiple characters.
- Uranus Is Showing: Comes up pretty much whenever the unfortunately named O-Dor of Uranus appears. Certain members of the R.U. Sirius still haven't gotten over it.
- Useless Spleen: Winky appears to have an endless supply of replacement spleens.
- Zombie Apocalypse: The presumable origin of the Zombie Planet.