Barney & Clyde, created in 2010 by Gene Weingarten, columnist for the Washington Post, his son Dan and cartoonist David Clark, details the unlikely friendship between billionaire J. Barnard Pillsbury,note owner and C.E.O of Pillsbury Pharmaceuticals, and a homeless man named Clyde Finster.This Sunday strip from Dec. 09 2012 details the premise in a nutshell.Has NOTHING to do with Bonnie and Clyde.It can be found here.
Tropes in this strip include:
- Casanova Wannabe: Duane Butkis who keeps trying (and failing) to get to first base with Ms. Foxx.
- Idiot Savant: The R&D team at Pillsbury Pharmaceuticals shows expert skills but lacks common sense much of the time.
- Meaningful Name: Duane Butkis.
- No Social Skills: The R&D team again.
- Odd Friendship: The titular pair, bordering on Vitriolic Best Buds.
- Rhetorical Request Blunder: Barney asks regarding his company's pill bottles, "Could we make it more difficult to open?" So they do.
- Sarcasm-Blind: The R&D team. Good thing they don't hear from Cynthia on a regular basis.
- Snark Knight: Barney's daughter (but not Lucretia's) Cynthia is quite sarcastic, to put it mildly.
- Ms. Foxx qualifies as well, regarding how she deals with Duane's advances.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Barney's Exact Words regarding his R&D team.
- Trophy Wife: Lucretia is Barney's second wife and she is quite glamorous.
- White Bunny: Clyde's Rabbit Adolf, whom he refers to by his "Stage Name", Fluffykins McNeedsahug.