Comic Book: Damnation Crusade
is a comic set in the Warhammer 40,000
verse, following the story of the young savage Raclaw, selected by the Black Templars to join their ranks, then Brother Gerhart of the Sword Brethren, and finally the dreadnought Tankred.
Damnation Crusade contains the following tropes:
- Arm Cannon: One of Tankred's "arms" is replaced with a massive assault cannon, and a storm bolter underneath his claw.
- Ave Machina: The Adeptus Mechanicus conducting their rituals to wake Tankred.
- Badass Beard: Gerhart and Brunner.
- Badass Boast: Plenty.
What is the terror of death?
That we die, our work incomplete.
What is the joy of life?
To die, knowing our task is done.
My sword shall not waver, nor my heart weaken. I shall drown the xeno in his own blood. I shall smite glorious ruin upon the heretic. This I swear!
My name is Gerhart! I am of the sword brethren of Mashall Korneliusz's fighting company. Now tell me- who wants to be the first?
- Bald of Awesome: Brunner and most of the Marines.
- Body Horror: One of the recruits failed the implantation process, turning into a mindless brute with hypertrophied muscles.
- Catch Phrase: TANKRED ENDURES.
- Deadpan Snarker: Marshall Korneliusz. "I was unaware you had won the battle alone?"
- Determinator: Tankred, like all Black Templars. It takes more than being shot repeatedly with railguns or being ripped apart by a Daemon Prince to stop him.
- In Media Res: The comic begins with Gerhart delivering a "Facing the Bullets" One-Liner, and switches back and forth between his time as a Neophyte, Sword Brethren and Dreadnought. Even worse with Tankred, since he sleeps for centuries.
- Facial Horror: Chaplain Ecastus' face is hideously scarred.
- Foe-Tossing Charge: By a dreadnought.
- Gladiator Games: how the candidates for the Black Templars are chosen.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: The Templars' helmets, when they wear them.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: One Templar's face has three massive scars the whole length of his face, another has a complicated network over his skull.
- Helmets Are Hardly Heroic: Helmets are pretty much only worn so they can be dramatically removed.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: One unlucky Templar ends up shanked with half a dozen spears and a chainsword.
- Meaningful Rename: Twice, first, from Raclaw to Gerhart, then to Tankred.
- Mentor Occupational Hazard: Brunner.
- Mighty Glacier: A dreadnought is not made for speed, but will soak up everything you throw at it, and return it with interest.
- Mini-Mecha: Tankred, of course.
- Monochrome Casting: Averted: In one of the rare non-Salamanders 40K examples, one of the Space Marines is black.
- Non-Indicative Name: Tankred is neither a tank nor red.
- Not a Morning Person: though if your life was reduced to sleeping for centuries, waking up to find everyone you knew was dead, and that it was time to fight again, you'd be grumpy too.
- No Sell:
We hear them
first. Ten thousand edged weapons pounding a pulsing, primal beat. An ancient ritual designed to instill panic and fear in their foe.
It doesn't work.
- Obi-Wan Moment: Brunner, even as an Eldar walker is crushing him in its fist, yells at Raclaw to get back to fighting.
- Pride: As a young Templar, Gerhart had a tendency to take greater joy in his company's exploits than his brothers felt was proper. After he showed himself capable of restraint, the matter was dropped.
- Sword and Gun: Raclaw uses a bolt pistol and chainsword, Tankred a dreadnought fist and assault cannon.
- We Can Rebuild Him: Gerhart is too greivously wounded to continue serving as a Sword Brethren, but will be transferred into a dreadnought.
We will not abandon such paragons to succumb to the ravages of mortality. The way will be prepared for him.
He shall not be laid low but raised high and exalted. He will join the Emperor's immortal retinue and walk the road of ages.
He shall be taken from this place and the armor of his past purpose removed. He shall be healed, anointed with sacred oils, unguents, and balms.
The incantations of installation will be intoned and the litanies of preservation given voice.
The machine spirits will be summoned to invest the almighty hose with their motive aspect-
-And he will be dressed in furious glory, to war forevermore in the Emperor's name!
- Written Sound Effect: DAKKADAKKADAKKA
- Your Size May Vary: Depending on the Artist, the Space Marines are either twelve feet tall◊ or human-sized with the proportions of a standard dwarf.