MAJOR SPOILERS FOLLOW.
open/close all folders
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything."
A working - class magician, and a rival to Robert Angier.
"He lives in his act."
"Man's reach exceeds his imagination!
An aristocratic magician, and a rival to Borden. He is actually Lord Caldlow
- Acting for Two: Jackman plays both him and his double, Root.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: As Lord Caldlow. Hard to know if he was always this way, or if he slipped into this as time moved on.
- Cloning Blues
- Death by Adaptation
- The Determinator: Whereas Borden's case was kind of justified, Angier went kind of mad. He kills himself multiple times just to please his fans and best Borden.
- Expendable Clone: Deconstructed. If you believe "the real" Angier is "the man in the box" then he killed himself in his first show. If you belive its "the prestige" then Angier was shot by his clone during the first test of the machine.
- Fake American: Aussie Hugh Jackman plays American Robert Angier. Angier himself is a fake American, as the British Lord Caldlow.
- Flash Step: His greatest act, the Transported Man. Subverted since it doesn't exactly work this way...
- Go Seduce My Archnemesis: To Olivia.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: After his wife, Julia, drowns onstage, setting the rivalry between him and Cutter (at first) against Borden.
- Instant Death Bullet: Played straight with one of his clones, averted with Angier himself.
- Mad Artist: To explain why would be spoileriffic.
- Out-Gambitted: Between him and Borden, and no good comes of it to Angier.
- Twinmaker: How the Transported Man really works. Angier blinds the audience with a flash of electricity and sends his body down a trap shut to be drowned, while Angier reappears 40 feet across the room to everyone's amazement. All the while Angier doesn't know if it is him the one who dies or the one who appears.
- Twin Switch: Between him and Root.
- The Unfettered: He was initially unwilling to "get your hands dirty" like killing doves for his acts. As the story progresses he does anything to upstage Borden such as shooting him, kidnapping, stealing his act, framing him for his own death and killing his clones 100 times (or himself since he first shoots the Angier who appears a few meters from the machine) for the Transported Man.
- Walking Spoiler
- Was It Really Worth It?
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: At the end...
Spoiler in this image.
Borden: "You must be Lord Caldlow -"
: "Caldlow. Yes, I am. I always have been.
An aristocrat who is a collector of machines used in magical acts. He is actually Robert Angier - see his folder for tropes that describe him and his Caldlow persona
"Obsession is a young man's game."
"Every great magic trick consist of three parts - or acts
An ingenieur who works with Borden and Angier.
- Cassandra Truth: He told Angier that Bordon was using a double the entire time.
- The Mentor: To both Angier and Borden
- What the Hell, Hero?: Towards Angier after he sees him alive and well after previously thought to be dead, as Lord Caldlow, and letting Fallon hang.
"Exact science is not exact science."
The famous real-life inventor
"Nothing is impossible Mr. Angier - what you want is simply expensive
who helps Borden and Angier with their magic. He also invents a machine that can duplicate things
"You're a magician. Who's gonna believe you?"
Portrayed By: Andy Serkis
Borden's ingenieur after Julia's death. Is Borden's twin brother, wearing a fatsuit and spectacles
"I've played Caesar, I've played Faust - how hard can it possibly be to play the Great Danton
A washed up actor who Angier uses for a double before his use of Tesla's machine
"I know what you really are!
- Break the Cutie: Borden, or rather, his twin, does this to her over time.
- Driven to Suicide
- Spot the Impostor: She can always tell when her husband really means it when he tells her he loves her. Over time, it's suggested that she figures out what's really going on.
An assistant to both Angier and Borden.
- Distracted by the Sexy: As Cutter says, a pretty assistant is the easiest form of misdirection.
- Lovely Assistant
- Ms. Fanservice: Wears some very skimpy outfits on stage, and is often seen in nightwear offstage.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Towards Borden's twin after he drives Sarah to suicide.
Olivia: "You married her. You had a child with her."
Borden's twin: Yes. Part of me did. But the other part - the other part didn't. The part that found you, the part that's sitting here right now.
Olivia: You could be in some other cafe saying the same thing about me right now. It's inhuman to be so cold.
A solicitor who works for Lord Caldlow.