- The Chosen One: It does at least suck somewhat less for this aspect of the Eternal Champion.
- Cosmic Plaything: Dorian gets a bit fed up with artifact hunting by The Sword of the Dawn.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: He starts out having been defeated and taken prisoner by Granbretan.
- Determinator: Told you he got better.
- Heroic Neutral: It doesn't last even halfway through the first book.
- Neutral No Longer
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
- Martial Pacifist: He would be a Warrior Poet but he's more poet than warrior.
- Meaningful Name
- The Medic
- Action Girl: Takes up arms alongside her father and husband in The Runestaff. While pregnant yet!
- Brainwashed and Crazy: During The Mad God's Amulet.
- Heroes Want Redheads: And strawberry blondes, too.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half giant— oddly enough, this makes him shorter than most men (and very furry).
- Non-Human Sidekick
- The Big Bad Wolf: His mask definitely evokes this.
- If I Can't Have You...: Yisselda's refusal leads to...
- Revenge Before Reason: To the point of regicide.
- Wicked Cultured: At first.
- Agent Peacock / The Dandy
- The Casanova: He does quite a good job on Flana (see below) and in turn becomes...
- Deadpan Snarker
- Defector from Decadence, though for purely self-serving reasons. A little different in that he is not a Granbretanian born, but a Frenchman who threw his lot in with them even before they took his nation.
- Incurable Cough of Death: Subverted since it's not what kills him— he's just a hypochondriac.
- Wild Card
The Knight in Jet and Gold
- Enigmatic Empowering Entity: Though he doesn't so much give Dorian items of power as points him to where to find them.
- The Faceless
- Knight Errant: Duh.
- The Hedonist: Until her...
- Sex–Face Turn
- Unexpected Successor: Meliadus (her ex-husband) thinks if he sets her up as Queen-Emperor, he can set things right (and, coincidentally, rule through her). It doesn't work.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: After the death of her lover, Huillam she seems resigned to being this. Ironically, one of her first orders is to dismantle the Granbretanian mask-wearing system.