Characters: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
The characters of the film The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Voiced by: Riisa Naka (JP), Emily Hirst (EN)
Makoto is a regular high school student who spends her time playing baseball with her two best friends, Chiaki and Kousuke. She hopes to be friends with them forever and to stay like this, but after almost getting killed in a train crossing accident, Makoto develops an ability to "time leap." She initially uses it for her personal benefit, but as Makoto realizes the extent of the past she is changing and how it affects others, she must try to fix the error of her ways before any permanent—or even fatal
- Book Dumb: One of her self-proclaimed "unlucky" moments consists of failing a test. So, naturally one of the things she time leaps for is to ace said test.
- Boyish Short Hair
- Cannot Spit It Out: Her feelings for Chiaki. She manages to tell Yuri, but never has the chance to tell Chiaki himself.
- Celibate Heroine: Makoto is generally not interested in dating or romance... at least at first.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Did Not Get The Guy
- Everyone Can See It: The UST between her and Chiaki.
- Genki Girl
- Girl Next Door
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Makoto slowly realizes her feelings for Chiaki once Chiaki starts dating Yuri.
- I Don't Want to Ruin Our Friendship: Her reason for avoiding Chiaki's feelings. It goes poorly for her, as her avoidance ends up damaging their friendship even worse and eventually causes Chiaki to turn his attention toward Yuri instead.
- Inelegant Blubbering: It may be a little Narmy, but it doubles as a Tearjerker because every time Makoto cries, there's a heartbreaking reason for it.
- I Will Find You
- Just Friends: This is how she sees Chiaki and Kousuke until she realizes her feelings for Chiaki.
- Large Ham
- Late for School
- Master of the Mixed Message: Makoto ends up confusing the hell out of poor Chiaki, partly thanks to her lack of understanding of her own feelings for him, and in large part thanks to her use of time-leaping to undo his attempt to ask her out, after which she begins avoiding him even though from his perspective he hasn't done anything.
- The Matchmaker: Manages to match-make Kousuke and Kaho together though it takes a while for her, from getting them to have a Meet Cute moment to attempting to prevent their deaths when they are killed by a train crossing accident.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Many of Makoto's time leaps are for her own personal gain, and the changes she creates in the time line begin to have an effect with her relationships with Chiaki and Kousuke—especially Chiaki. Not to mention affecting the sanity of one of her classmates.
- Oblivious to Love: Claims to only see Chiaki and Kousuke as friends, is blindsided when Chiaki asks her out, and seems unaware of any feelings Kousuke has for her—not to mention being slow to realize her own feelings for Chiaki.
- One of the Boys
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Poor Communication Kills: And Makoto has to learn this the hard way.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Chiaki. While Makoto knows of Chiaki's feelings for her and eventually reciprocates these feelings, it is likely too late for them to get together because we don't know how far in the future Chiaki's era is, or if Makoto can reach him through waiting for his time or using another time-related device.
- Tareme Eyes
- íThree Amigos!: With Chiaki and Kousuke.
- Throw the Dog a Bone
- Time Travel Romance: With Chiaki.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Makoto is the Tomboy to Yuri's Girly Girl.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Chiaki.
One of Makoto's two best friends. Chiaki is easygoing and laidback. He transferred to Makoto's school in the spring and quickly became fast friends with Makoto and Kousuke, forming a steadfast trio between the three. Chiaki has feelings for Makoto.
- Always Save the Girl: From defending Makoto from insults to stepping into the way so she won't get hit by a fire extinguisher to using his final remaining time leap so she isn't crying in pain (and so Kousuke and Kaho won't die from a train crossing accident).
- Anguished Declaration of Love: And Chiaki doesn't even know how many attempts he had asked Makoto out thanks to her constant time leaping to avoid it.
- Berserk Button: His button is only pressed once in the film, but you DO NOT want to insult Makoto in front of Chiaki.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Kousuke's Betty for Makoto's Archie.
- Book Dumb
- Brains and Brawn: The Brawn to Kousuke's Brains.
- Brown Eyes
- But Now I Must Go
- Cannot Spit It Out: He tries valiantly, but Makoto keeps time-leaping to prevent him from succeeding.
- Delinquent: Showed signs of this from his confrontation with Takase and in a flashback, where it is shown he got into a fight.
- Dogged Nice Guy
- Everyone Can See It: The UST between him and Makoto.
- Fiery Redhead
- First Name Basis: In a flashback of when Chiaki transfers into Makoto's class and the friendship between Makoto, Chiaki, and Kousuke develops, Kousuke lampshades it when Chiaki first calls Makoto by her first name. This is interesting because when Chiaki starts to date Yuri, he still calls her "Hayakawa-san", unlike Yuri, who calls Chiaki, "Chiaki-kun". He only calls Yuri "Yuri-chan" once while talking about going to a nighters game with her to Makoto and Kousuke, though it was more to tease Makoto than really changing to First Name Basis. Makoto seems to be the only girl Chiaki is really informal with, though the reason as to why is quite obvious.
- Fish out of Temporal Water
- Foil: To Kousuke.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Chiaki uses his final remaining time leap to prevent the deaths of Kousuke and Kaho at the train crossing and so Makoto isn't in pain trying to stop them, knowing full well that by doing so will cause him to disappear.
- Heroines Want Redheads: Just ask Makoto. And her friend Yuri.
- I Will Wait for You
- Last Guy Wins
- Late for School
- Malicious Slander: After Chiaki "transfers" out of school (unknowing to everyone else but Makoto as to why), many nasty rumors start about why he left.
- New Transfer Student: Transferred into Makoto's class in the spring.
- Obfuscating Stupidity
- Oblivious to Love: Initially oblivious to Yuri's feelings for him and by the end of the film is still oblivious to her feelings because of the recent time leaps.
- Red-Headed Hero
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to Kousuke's Blue Oni.
- Relationship Upgrade: Chiaki attempts this with Makoto, but she time leaps to avoid it.
- The Reveal: Chiaki is from the future and the original user of the device that allowed Makoto to time leap. He came from an era where some kind of catastrophe may have decimated mankind, and the only reason Chiaki came to Makoto's time is to see a painting that was destroyed in his era and is currently being restored in hers. However, as time grew on, Chiaki began to love the present time in spite of the dwindling moments he had of remaining there.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Makoto.
- íThree Amigos!: With Kousuke and Makoto.
- Time Travel Romance: With Makoto.
- Tomato Surprise: Chiaki is a time traveler from the future.
- Troubled, but Cute
- Tsurime Eyes
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Makoto.
One of Makoto's two best friends. Kousuke is smart and level-headed. He is the voice of reason between the three friends. Kousuke wants to go into a medical profession and constantly thinks about studying, but finds time to play baseball and hang out with Makoto and Chiaki.
Voiced by: Ayami Kakiuchi (JP), Kristie Marsden (EN)
Makoto's classmate and friend. Yuri is often found in Makoto's company. She has a crush on Chiaki.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Dogged Nice Girl
- Hopeless Suitor: She subtly has feelings for Chiaki, but he doesn't really notice her untill Makoto starts avoiding Chiaki following several time leaps to avoid him asking her out. Because of this, Chiaki goes out with Yuri instead. But when the timeline is brought back to the beginning of the film, Makoto finally makes it known to Yuri of her own feelings for Chiaki, and Yuri—having already suspected it—understands.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Yuri is well aware that Chiaki is more interested in Makoto and that Makoto's feelings for him probably run deeper than Makoto herself realizes, and she's clearly reluctant to get in the way of the happiness of both her friend and the guy that she likes. It's only when Makoto begins avoiding Chiaki that Yuri ends up pursuing her own interest in him, and at the end of the film she gracefully accepts it when Makoto admits that she does in fact like Chiaki.
- Romantic False Lead: Arguably.
- Tareme Eyes
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Yuri is the Girly Girl to Makoto's Tomboy.
Voiced by: Mitsuki Tanimura (JP), Natalie Walters (EN)
Kaho is a shy girl from the volunteer club with a crush on Kousuke. Her two best friends continuously attempt to get her to ask him out.
"Auntie Witch" / Kazuko Yoshiyama
Makoto's aunt, who Makoto tends to call "Auntie Witch." She is currently restoring a painting at the museum. Makoto often goes to her aunt for advice on time leaping.