open/close all folders
Voiced by: Riisa Naka (JP), Emily Hirst (EN), Jocelyn Robles (LA)Makoto is a regular high school student who spends her time playing baseball with her two best friends, Chiaki and Kousuke. She hopes to be friends with them forever and to stay like this, but after almost getting killed in a train crossing accident, Makoto develops an ability to "time leap." She initially uses it for her personal benefit, but as Makoto realizes the extent of the past she is changing and how it affects others, she must try to fix the error of her ways before any permanent—or even fatal—wrongs occur.
- Book Dumb: One of her self-proclaimed "unlucky" moments consists of failing a test. So, naturally one of the things she time leaps for is to ace said test.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Her feelings for Chiaki. She manages to tell Yuri, but never has the chance to tell Chiaki himself.
- Celibate Heroine: Makoto is generally not interested in dating or romance... at least at first.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Did Not Get The Guy: While Makoto knows of Chiaki's feelings for her and eventually reciprocates these feelings, it is likely too late for them to get together because we don't know how far in the future Chiaki's era is, or if Makoto can reach him through waiting for his time or using another time-related device.
- Dude Magnet: Both Chiaki and Kousuke had feelings for her. For the former, she returns his feelings, but doesn't know of the latter's and he ends up with someone else.
- Everyone Can See It: The UST between her and Chiaki.
- Generation Xerox: It's implied in the movie and confirmed in the manga that her aunt is Kazuko Yoshiyama, who like Makoto gained the ability to time leap when she was younger and fell in love with a man who came from the future.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Makoto slowly realizes her feelings for Chiaki once Chiaki starts dating Yuri.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Makoto begins to discover her feelings for Chiaki.
- I Don't Want to Ruin Our Friendship: Her reason for avoiding Chiaki's feelings. It goes poorly for her, as her avoidance ends up damaging their friendship even worse and eventually causes Chiaki to turn his attention toward Yuri instead.
- Inelegant Blubbering: It may be a little Narmy, but it doubles as a Tearjerker because every time Makoto cries, there's a heartbreaking reason for it.
- I Will Find You: When Chiaki tells he will wait for her in the future, Makoto responds "I won't be long... I'll come running."
- Just Friends: This is how she sees Chiaki and Kousuke until she realizes her feelings for Chiaki.
- Late for School: A usual habit of hers, that is constantly lampshaded by Kousuke.
- Master of the Mixed Message: Makoto ends up confusing the hell out of poor Chiaki, partly thanks to her lack of understanding of her own feelings for him, and in large part thanks to her use of time-leaping to undo his attempt to ask her out, after which she begins avoiding him even though from his perspective he hasn't done anything.
- The Matchmaker: Manages to match-make Kousuke and Kaho together though it takes a while for her, from getting them to have a Meet Cute moment to attempting to prevent their deaths when they are killed by a train crossing accident.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Many of Makoto's time leaps are for her own personal gain, and the changes she creates in the time line begin to have an effect with her relationships with Chiaki and Kousuke—especially Chiaki. Not to mention affecting the sanity of one of her classmates.
- Oblivious to Love: Claims to only see Chiaki and Kousuke as friends, is blindsided when Chiaki asks her out, and seems unaware of any feelings Kousuke has for her—not to mention being slow to realize her own feelings for Chiaki.
- One of the Boys: She hangs out more with her male best friends, Chiaki and Kousuke than her female friends.
- Poor Communication Kills: And Makoto has to learn this the hard way.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Chiaki.
- íThree Amigos!: With Chiaki and Kousuke.
- Time Travel Romance: With Chiaki.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Makoto is the Tomboy to Yuri's Girly Girl.
- Tsundere: Played for Drama. After she finds out about Chiaki's feelings for her, Makoto refuses to face her own feelings and starts giving him the silent treatment, avoiding him and yelling at him when he gets close to her. At the end, this only makes her regret not being honest about her feelings because not only Chiaki ends up dating someone else, but he has to go back to his own era before they can get together.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Chiaki.
Voiced by: Takuya Ishida (JP), Andrew Francis (EN), Miguel Ángel Ruiz (LA)One of Makoto's two best friends. Chiaki is easygoing and laidback. He transferred to Makoto's school in the spring and quickly became fast friends with Makoto and Kousuke, forming a steadfast trio between the three. Chiaki has feelings for Makoto.
- Always Save the Girl: From defending Makoto from insults to stepping into the way so she won't get hit by a fire extinguisher to using his final remaining time leap so she isn't crying in pain (and so Kousuke and Kaho won't die from a train crossing accident).
- Brains and Brawn: The Brawn to Kousuke's Brains.
- But Now I Must Go: At the end of the movie, he has to go back to the future because he let someone from the past know about time-leaping.
- Cannot Spit It Out: He has a hard time admitting his feelings for Makoto. He tries valiantly, but Makoto keeps time-leaping to prevent him from succeeding.
- Delinquent: Showed signs of this from his confrontation with Takase and in a flashback, where it is shown he got into a fight.
- Dogged Nice Guy: He asks Makoto out early in the film, but Makoto uses time-leaping to avoid it several times. Even though Chiaki has no idea why Makoto suddenly is avoiding him, he does everything he can to get close to her.
- Everyone Can See It: The UST between him and Makoto.
- First-Name Basis: In a flashback of when Chiaki transfers into Makoto's class and the friendship between Makoto, Chiaki, and Kousuke develops, Kousuke lampshades it when Chiaki first calls Makoto by her first name. This is interesting because when Chiaki starts to date Yuri, he still calls her "Hayakawa-san", unlike Yuri, who calls Chiaki, "Chiaki-kun". He only calls Yuri "Yuri-chan" once while talking about going to a nighters game with her to Makoto and Kousuke, though it was more to tease Makoto than really changing to First-Name Basis. Makoto seems to be the only girl Chiaki is really informal with, though the reason as to why is quite obvious.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: He admits that he is fascinated with the current era, because in the future he comes from there are not so wonderful things like rivers, a blue sky, so many people in one place and baseball.
- Foil: To Kousuke.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Chiaki uses his final remaining time leap to prevent the deaths of Kousuke and Kaho at the train crossing and so Makoto isn't in pain trying to stop them, knowing full well that by doing so will cause him to disappear.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: He may call Makoto an idiot all the time, but if anyone else calls her that Chiaki won't forgive them. When Makoto calls him out on it, Chiaki says he calls her an idiot as an Insult of Endearment.
- I Will Wait for You: Before he goes back to his own era, he tells Makoto he will be waiting for her in the future.
- Malicious Slander: After Chiaki "transfers" out of school (unknowing to everyone else but Makoto as to why), many nasty rumors start about why he left.
- New Transfer Student: Transferred into Makoto's class in the spring.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: At first, he only seems like Makoto's laidback and not so smart friend, but turns out he knew everything about time-leaping and figured out Makoto was doing it on his own.
- Oblivious to Love: Initially oblivious to Yuri's feelings for him and by the end of the film is still oblivious to her feelings because of the recent time leaps.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to Kousuke's Blue Oni.
- The Reveal: Chiaki is from the future and the original user of the device that allowed Makoto to time leap. He came from an era where some kind of catastrophe may have decimated mankind, and the only reason Chiaki came to Makoto's time is to see a painting that was destroyed in his era and is currently being restored in hers. However, as time grew on, Chiaki began to love the present time in spite of the dwindling moments he had of remaining there.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Makoto.
- íThree Amigos!: With Kousuke and Makoto.
- Time Travel Romance: With Makoto.
- Tomato Surprise: Chiaki is a time traveler from the future.
Voiced by: Mitsutaka Itakura (JP), Alex Zahara (EN), Héctor Rocha (LA)One of Makoto's two best friends. Kousuke is smart and level-headed. He is the voice of reason between the three friends. Kousuke wants to go into a medical profession and constantly thinks about studying, but finds time to play baseball and hang out with Makoto and Chiaki.
- Beta Couple: With Kaho.
- Brains and Brawn: The Brains to Chiaki's Brawn.
- Crash-Into Hello: With Kaho.
- Foil: To Chiaki.
- Megane: Occasionally.
- Nice Guy: Kousuke is the most mature and sensitive of his friends.
- Oblivious to Love: Is (probably) partly oblivious to his own subtle feelings for Makoto, and initially oblivious to Kaho's feelings for him.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue Oni to Chiaki's Red Oni.
- íThree Amigos!: With Chiaki and Makoto.
- Tsurime Eyes: It's difficult to tell, though.
Voiced by: Ayami Kakiuchi (JP), Kristie Marsden (EN), Vanessa Garcel (LA)Makoto's classmate and friend. Yuri is often found in Makoto's company. She has a crush on Chiaki.
- Curtains Match the Window: Matching light brown eyes and hair.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Yuri has feelings for Chiaki.
- Hopeless Suitor: She subtly has feelings for Chiaki, but he doesn't really notice her until Makoto starts avoiding Chiaki following several time leaps to avoid him asking her out. Because of this, Chiaki goes out with Yuri instead. But when the timeline is brought back to the beginning of the film, Makoto finally makes it known to Yuri of her own feelings for Chiaki, and Yuri—having already suspected it—understands.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Yuri is well aware that Chiaki is more interested in Makoto and that Makoto's feelings for him probably run deeper than Makoto herself realizes, and she's clearly reluctant to get in the way of the happiness of both her friend and the guy that she likes. It's only when Makoto begins avoiding Chiaki that Yuri ends up pursuing her own interest in him, and at the end of the film she gracefully accepts it when Makoto admits that she does in fact like Chiaki.
- Romantic False Lead: Arguably.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Yuri is the Girly Girl to Makoto's Tomboy.
Voiced by: Mitsuki Tanimura (JP), Natalie Walters (EN), Azucena Martínez (LA)Kaho is a shy girl from the volunteer club with a crush on Kousuke. Her two best friends continuously attempt to get her to ask him out.
- Dogged Nice Girl: Kousuke turned her down when she confessed her feelings for him.
- Love Before First Sight: Kaho heard about him from her grandmother, who Kousuke helped out while he was volunteering at a retirement home. She would always say how a "kind and wonderful" person he was, and after hearing the stories over and over again, Kaho came to like him.
- Luminescent Blush: Only around Kousuke.
- Meganekko: Occasionally, again.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She developed feelings for Kousuke after hearing how much of a nice guy he was from her grandmother.
- Those Two Girls: Her two friends.
Voiced by: Sachie Hara (JP), Saffron Henderson (EN)Makoto's aunt, who Makoto tends to call "Auntie Witch." She is currently restoring a painting at the museum. Makoto often goes to her aunt for advice on time leaping.
- Alternate Character Reading: Her name is a pun for the Japanese word "majo," which means "witch." (The English localization simply has her called "Auntie Witch" without explanation, since the pun doesn't easily translate.)
- Cool Aunt: To Makoto.
- Curtains Match the Window: Like her niece, she has matching dark brown hair and eyes.
- Maiden Aunt: She has yet to get married.
- Mentor Archetype: To Makoto. She understands time leaping and knows so much about it because she also had the ability to time leap when she was Makoto's age and is implied to be Kazuko Yoshiyama, the protagonist of the novel The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was adapted from.
- The One That Got Away: When she was in high school she fell in love with a man, but he had to go away promising to return to her someday. Years passed and he never returned. She tells Makoto to not be like her and go find her beloved.