Characters / Rising × Rydeen
A list of characters from the Rising × Rydeen
manga and light novel series.
The main character of the series. Takara has always wanted to a stranger and one day he gets his wish. Unfortunately, instead of the powerful wind powers he wanted he gets the ability to release an unknown gel from any part of his body. This makes him a rank E stranger but some later discovers about the properties of the gel would bump him up to rank D.
- Accidental Pervert: Can't go a few chapters without accidentally walking in on a girl changing, finding his face or hands planted on a girl's breasts or crotch.
- Battle Aura: Generates an outright vicious looking one in Chapter 19, after his Berserk Button (Mikan getting curbstomped) is thoroughly pushed. Even Toya shows some fear upon seeing it.
- Chick Magnet: A couple chapters in the series and Yowabi, Sanagi and Ruri all have obvious crushes on him. Mikan has had feelings for him for a while but chooses to hide it. Fumi from his school gets a crush on him after he saves her life. Even Aria who's three years his senior tells him she's open to the idea of having a relationship with him.
- Fatal Flaw: His ego. While he's well aware how useless his powers are, he still thinks of himself as the ultimate stranger. This mindset has caused him to make numerous bad decisions on missions, usually involving confront more powerful strangers head-on with no plan of attack. The end result is the mission being made more complicated or his teammates lives being put in danger.
- Guile Hero: He has shown talent in lying.
- I Just Want to Be Special: He Idolizes superheroes to an abnormal degree. So much so that Aria dubs it as a power, his "delusional power" and it's the reason why he's a great strategist. He's constantly been hypothesizing and solving situations a hero would get into. As a result he's developed a meticulous and dauntless imaginary strategic sense.
- Iron Butt-Monkey: He constantly gets electrocuted by Mikan for doing something perverted, usually by accident. Mikan's lightning blasts leave most people unconscious and smoldering but thanks to Takara's strange ability he gets by with a few bruises.
- Leeroy Jenkins: On missions he often confronts outlaws head on with no plan of attack or ignoring the set plan for the mission. Most of the time it ends badly.
- Oblivious to Love: Sanagi, Yowabi, and Ruri are anything but subtle about their crushes on him. Ruri even flat out tells him that she's pursuing him. All of this goes straight over his head and he sees them as friends.
- The One Guy: Everyone else on his team is female. Eden actually wanted an all female stranger team but reluctantly included him because he fits into their plan.
- Power Incontinence: Shortly after his powers awoken he would randomly release gel, usually on Yowabi. He would later get it somewhat under control by only losing control of his ability when he's extremely aroused.
- Shirtless Scene: Occasionally in order to use his powers effectively.
- Something Else Also Rises: He releases gel prematurely anytime he gets extremely aroused, usually by getting glomped or finding himself in a sexually suggestive position with a girl. The end result is both him an the girl covered in gel.
- The Strategist: When he actually plans ahead he can come up with ingenious plans that allow his team to defeat some really powerful strangers.
- Tsundere: Towards Mikan, he always calls her by the nickname Electric Mikan and generally acts annoyed by her. But he is worried for her, and generally understands what she is thinking.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: His ability to release gel from his body is embarrassingly useless.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: It's not completely useless. His gel is very slippery, so if he produces some gel around his feet he can slide at high speeds. It's later revealed that his gel and his entire body have high insulative properties meaning, he can take multiple lightning blasts from Mikan and still keep conscious, where as most people can only take one. This discovery gets him reevaluated as a rank D stranger.
Mikan is a powerful government rank A stranger known as the lightning god. Her strange ability lets her turn her arms and legs into lightning . Five years ago her strange ability awoken, it was a very powerful and uncontrollable power that cause her to be shunned by most people, with the exception of Takara, who had a one-side rivalry with her. Seeing potential in her, the stranger disaster prevention office took her in their care and trained her to control her powers. Shortly after Takara awakens his strange ability she meets with him after as a new transfer stundent in his school and his supervisor.
- The Ace: She's considered one of the strongest strangers around and since joining the Stranger Disaster Prevention Office has failed a single mission.
- Broken Ace: And when she does fail a mission for the first time she breaks down and cries in private. She hates her strange ability but the praise she got from others for completing missions gave her a reason for having them and helped her cope with the self-loathing.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Her strange ability awoken when she was ten years old. Unfortunately, it's a powerful and largely uncontrollable ability so her peers, including her best friend, would stay away from her out of fear of accidentally being electrocuted. The only person who would talk to her was Takara.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Despite constantly arguing with and belittling Takara, she gets annoyed when other girls act affectionate or clingy around him, usually telling them and in one case forcing them off of him.
- Conspicuous Gloves: She wears a pair of black rubber gloves and thigh-highs at all times. They keep her powers in control.
- The Dreaded: Most outlaws are aware of her reputation and usually try to run away from her.
- Elemental Hair: Has blonde hair to match her electric based abilities.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Despite her immense power she's always hated her strange ability. It's a hard ability to control, extremely dangerous to her and caused her to be shunned by other children when she was younger.
- Ineffectual Loner: She's been a very successful working by herself long before joining Takara's group because of this feels like she doesn't need the rest of the team. However, most of her missions were to capture outlaws that worked alone or didn't work together. She had a difficult time on a mission to capture outlaws that did use teamwork. Which was made even more difficult by her refusal to cooperate with Takara. This led to the team capturing only two of the three outlaws, and Mikan failing a mission for the first time.
- Necessary Drawback: Her power strange ability has few inherent drawbacks
- It requires a lot of concentration so she can't use her lightning dash and lightning dust at the same time.
- At least that's what Aria says. She can use both techniques simultaneously but it causes her ability to go haywire.
- One that Takara was able to figure out. She can only turn her forearms and hands and the area below her knees into lightning. She still needs to move the rest of her arms to aim at an opponent with lightning dust and she has to be able to move the rest of her legs to use lightning dash. Takara exploits this by jumping on top of her and pinning her down so she can't move her arms and legs
- New Transfer Student: She transfers to Takara's school and is also part of his class. She introduces herself to her classmates by warning them that she's a dangerous person whom they should try to get close to.
- No Range Like Point-Blank Range: Her lightning blasts have a lot of range but she usually uses her Super Speed to get in close for a surprise close range attack
- Power Incontinence: When she was younger she was shunned by all of her classmates including her best friend because her powers would constantly activate shocking things and people. The only person that wasn't afraid of her Takara. In the current story she has more control over her powers thanks to training and specially made rubber gloves and socks but Aria tells Takara in private that her powers are still dangerous, not just to other people but also to Mikan herself. If her powers activate when she's asleep or unconscious she could end shocking herself which could result in her losing her limbs or dying. This is why she's rarely seen not wearing her rubber gloves.
- Power Limiter: Her rubber gloves and socks keep her from unintentionally activating her strange ability. She can still use her ability wearing them, but it ensures that she won't lose control of it.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her long blonde hair almost touches the ground. In flash backs it only went a little passed her shoulders.
- Shock and Awe: Her powers are electric-based. Mainly, she can turn her arms and legs into lightning.
- Lightning Gun: "lightning dust" turns her arms into lightning and lets her fire powerful lightning blasts.
- Super Speed: "Lightning dash" turns her legs into lightning which lets her move fast enough to appear as though she's teleporting and create afterimages of her.
- Required Secondary Powers: Aria states that while Mikan does have Super Speed, she does not have super-perception or reflexes. It only seems like she does because she predicts where she's going to end up after dashing.
- What's not discussed is how the rest of her body is able to resist the air friction while moving at that kind of speed.
- Orbiting Particle Shield: She has an unnamed ability that lets her create orbs of electricity that surround her and most of the area. If someone touches the orbs they get electrocuted.
- Aria notes that this one falls under Awesome, but Impractical as she can't stabilize it for too long so it's just for intimidating enemies. However, thanks to Takara's planing she was able to use it to take out some very powerful outlaws from re-birthday.
- Superpower Lottery: Her strange ability makes her one of the strongest strangers around. She can move lightning fast and her electric attacks can knockout most strangers in one hit.
- Tsundere: Her relationship with Takara. She regards him as an annoying person, criticizes him any chance she gets and electrocutes when he does something perverted. At the same she wants to be close to him, and takes solace in the fact that he's one of the few people not afraid of her.
- Vapor Wear: She doesn't wear a bra under her school uniform, which shows since it's open from her collar down. Were it not for the fact that clothes in this series behave like their stuck on female characters' breasts a Wardrobe Malfunction would be a given with her.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She's one of the strongest strangers around but she is extremely afraid of cockroaches. During her fight with Takara's team she freaks out when Sanagi uses her powers to land a cockroach on her.
A young girl who, like Takara, recently awakens her strange ability. Unfortunately, again like Takara, she's a rank E stranger with a largely useless ability that lets her create fire too small to be useful.
- A-Cup Angst: She's saddened by the fact that Sanagi is the same age as her yet has much bigger breasts.
- Boisterous Weakling: Like Takara but to a lesser degree. She loves making grandiose introductions and bragging about how awesome she is despite being the lowest ranking stranger on the team with a useless ability.
- Playing with Fire: She can create fire. Unfortunately, the flames are too small to be useful.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: She has the most useless strange ability in the series. It's so useless that she hasn't even activated it on any of her mission.
Sanagi isn't the youngest person on the team but she's certainly the most childlike. She an energetic daughter of a rich business owner and a rank C stranger with the ability to control insects "marionette worm". This would be a useful ability were it not for the fact that she can only control one bug at a time.
- Boisterous Weakling: She loves bragging about her rank C status even though her ability is useless in a fight.
- Bunnies for Cuteness: She always has on a pink bag with a bunny face design she calls Totto-chan. Fitting for someone as childlike as her.
- Entendre Failure: One of the few characters that isn't grossed out by Takara's gel, in fact she likes being geled by Takara. Due to her childish nature the sexually imagery is lost on her.
- Pest Controller: She can control bugs. Unfortunately she can only them one at time.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Being able to control one bug at a time makes her useless in combat but she can use her insects to track down other people.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Most female characters are usually grossed out when covered in Takara's gel. Sanagi isn't, in fact she loves being covered in his gel. The first time she gets covered in gel she plays around in it and tries to eat it.
- Spoiled Sweet: She's the daughter of a rich business owner. While she comes off as condescending when she was introduced because of her rank C status, she quickly becomes friendly towards the rest of the team after Takara saves her life on the first mission.
Rurika, or Ruri, is a popular idol and government stranger assigned to join Takara's team by Eden. She was sent by Eden to spy on Aria but it turns out she's really working for somebody else. She's a rank B stranger who has the ability, "chain of lost memory", to revert anything she's touched with her right hand back to the state it was five minutes ago.
- Berserk Button: She's normally cheerful and ditzy but when Aria accuses her for being a spy working for an outlaw, she has a momentary outburst of anger denying working for one.
- Clark Kenting: Takara is surprised during their shopping trip that no one seems to notice her despite being a famous idol singer and not hiding her face. She tells him it's because she can turn on and off her idol aura. She proves this by doing a couple poses which causes everyone around them to immediately notice her and form a crowd around her and Takara.
- Conspicuous Gloves: She always wears a glove on her right hand so she doesn't unintentionally activate her powers. If she needs to use her powers she takes them off.
- The Cracker: She hacks Eden's servers and emails "that person", most likely the "hero of justice" she's working for, about information a rank A stranger eden wants to capture.
- Cursed with Awesome: Despite her strange ability being very useful she doesn't like it. At first she says it's because it's inconvenient as her ability always activates without her gloves but later it's revealed she hates it because of her Dark and Troubled Past.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her dad left her and her mom because she was a stranger. Her mom would later die in a fire cause by outlaws leaving her alone.
- Double Agent: She was tasked with joining Takara's team by Eden to spy on Aria. In actuality she's working for someone else, a "hero of justice", who she says is part of the government.
- Healing Hands: As long as something or someone was injured within the last five minutes she can revert it to its uninjured state by touching it.
- Idol Singer: She's considered the ultimate idol singer and is very popular. Both Yowabi and Sanagi knew her before she joined the team because they've been huge fans of her.
- Rapunzel Hair: she has her hair tied in a long ponytail that almost touches the floor.
- Smarter Than You Look: She has the personality and looks of a ditzy idol but she's also a skillful hacker, and has great deductive reasoning.
- Third-Person Person: Usually refers to herself by her name or third person pronouns.
- Time Master: Her strange ability, "chain of lost memory", lets her revert anything or anyone she touches back to the state it was five minutes ago.
Aria Kurumu Elinor Walter
Aria is lab chief at Stranger disaster prevention office. She conducting an experiment to see if low ranking strangers can be effective at capturing outlaws if working as a team.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her stomach is exposed because of her crop top and miniskirt combo.
- The Chessmaster: It's unclear what her ultimate goals are but she states that her superiors, Eden, and Takara's team are playing into her plans.
- Improbable Age: She's lab chief of a government agency and even has a PhD at the age of 18.
- Mission Control: She gives orders to and has visual on Takara's team from the headquarters.
- Mrs. Robinson: She tells Takara upfront that she's open to the idea of being in a relationship with him. While Takara is attracted to her, he thinks she's joking because of the huge age difference being the two. Which turns out to be not that huge as she's only 18.
- The Nicknamer: She makes up nick names for the outlaws the team have to capture. Outlaw "Strength" and "Agility" becomes "Gorilla-san" and "Frog-san", Bullet thief Girl becomes "Tama-chan". She says it's to help the team bond more with the outlaws but Sanagi points out the faulty logic in trying to get them to bond with the people they're supposed to be capturing.
- Older Than They Look: Takara is surprised to learn that she's 18 years, three years older than him, yet is significantly taller, bustier and more mature than the rest of the cast.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair goes all the way down to the floor. Years before the present story it barely reached her shoulders.
- Sexy Spectacles: The first time Takara meets her he starts listing off her attractive features. Her glasses is one of them.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Aria keeps her badge between her cleavage.
Toya is an A rank ex-government stranger that has the ability to create explosive darts made of light. He is ruthless and cruel when it comes to exterminating his enemies.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Serves this to both Mikan and Takara in chapter 19.
- Every Scar Has a Story: His hands are covered in scars and it has not yet been explained how he got them.
- Covered in Scars: Toya wears long sleeves and long pants so we still don't know if he only has scars on his hands.
- Foil: To Takara. Toya is an A ranked Stranger with a very powerful ability and is very merciless to his opponents making him the complete opposite of Takara.
- Light Is Not Good
- Stuff Blowing Up: His light darts cause the explosions after they hit.