open/close all folders
Played by: Matthew MacFadyen
Detective Inspector of H Division.
Played by: Jerome Flynn
Sergeant for H division. Served in Egypt.
Homer Jackson/Matthew Judge
Played by: Adam Rothenberg
Former army surgeon and Pinkerton. Came to the area under mysterious circumstances with Long Susan.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Sobriety and a conventionally professional attitude aren't his strong points. Fortunately, forensic science is.
- The Coroner: Jackson's official role, although he has also been seen gathering information and kicking ass.
- The Gunslinger: One of the few characters who even carries a gun (with good reason), and indeed he is marked as American more than once by it.
- I Have Many Names: He's changed his name and skipped town when things got too hot at least once; it's implied that this is something of a habit for him. Though Matthew Judge does appear to be his original name, as his brother has the same surname.
- Jerkass: He goes out of his way to sleep with Rose after learning that Drake was sweet on her. Did we mention the madam of the house is his wife?
- Official Couple: He married Susan and they had to flee from her angry father.
- Pinkerton Detective: Formerly
- The Smart Guy
- Smoking Is Cool
Susan Hart ("Long Susan") / Caitlin Swift
Played by: MyAnna Buring
The local madame.
Played by: David Dawson
An unscrupulous journalist that is often at odds with Reid.
- Break the Haughty: He's almost never right then he lost his ear (see below).
- Behind the Mask: It's not totally incongruous with his other appearances, simply something that never comes up in his antagonistic interactions with the H Division team, but his private tenderness and concern for his boyfriend in Threads Of Silk And Gold is quite sweet, as well as shedding some light on his earlier position on moral hypocrisy.
- The Dandy
- Ear Ache: The Pinkerton looking for Katherine Swift cut off his ear when he refused to reveal her location.
- Establishing Character Moment:
- In the first episode, he gets into a physical scuffle with Reid and counters Reid's own attempts to shake him down by suggesting he knows more than he lets on about the man's Dark and Troubled Past and wouldn't be afraid to tell the wrong kind of people. Shady, manipulative smartass not afraid to employ underhanded methods when under pressure or just for kicks? Sounds like Best.
- For the second season: Best adjusting his prosthetic in the mirror, saying wryly to himself "Who's to say you are not beautiful?".
- Paper-Thin Disguise: The false ear attached to his glasses he starts wearing in series 2.
- Straight Gay: As of "Threads Of Silk And Gold".
Played by: Charlene McKenna
One of Susan's hookers.
Played by: Jonathan Barnwell
A young cop in H Division
Played by: Gillian Saker
The woman Bennett Drake married between the first and second season.