- Annika Sirenia"Always bring a gun to a knife fight. Add a fist for good measure, and a chair, if you really want to be sure."
Annika embodies the following tropes:
- Badass Princess - Something of a requirement. All Sirenian Princesses must be badass.
- Bling of War
- The Captain
- Combat Pragmatist
- Charles Atlas Superpower - Somewhere between this and her family's Superpowerful Genetics. All three siblings have a degree Super Strength, but Annika works out, allowing her to pick up a ship cannon, fire it from the hip, and then use it as a bludgeoning weapon afterwards.
- Cute Bruiser
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry - She tends to be compared to her Lady of War older sister, and tends to come out as Always Second Best. She doesn't like that.
- Going Down with the Ship - She tries to invoke this during the Disaster of Nations, but her First Mate forces her out of it.
- Gratuitous German
- Improbable Age - Captain at age 18, thanks to her connections.
- Leeroy Jenkins
- More Dakka - When using a firearm, she straps a pair of bandoliers across her chest. Also, her main weapon is a breech-loading rifle with a higher rate of fire than most weapons of the day.
- Never Bring a Knife to a Gun Fight - Invokes this a lot.
- The Neidermeyer - Owing to her personal tactics (or lack thereof).
- Rebellious Princess
- Red Baron - Annika is widely known as "Princess Bruiser".
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections! - Let's just say that Annika abused her connections for a lot of things, from graduating at a high rank from the academy despite problematic grades, to getting new ships under her command even after losing a grand total of three already.
- Sibling Yin-Yang - Her older sister is graceful, knows how to play the Standard Royal Court, and is an excellent tactician. She's rough, doesn't care about her royal station, and prefers to rush in with no plan.
- Wrong Genre Savvy - Painting a ship bright red does not automatically make it better than other ships. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to understand that.
- Elsa van Dorst"If the only possession the world truly gives you is your name, then the only thing you can truly give, as something that you truly own, is your name."
Elsa embodies the following tropes:
- Blade Below the Shoulder - Uses Katars for melee combat.
- Cloak & Dagger
- Cold Sniper - She's a crack shot with a rifle.
- Deliberately Cute Child
- Due to the Dead - Elsa buries her Only Friend Monique at the foot of a special tree and inscribes her Nom de Guerre on it.
- Earn Your Title - "Baraquiel". See Meaningful Name below.
- IKEA Weaponry - The carbine she keeps in her violin case.
- The Ingenue - Invoked as her specific variation of the Deliberately Cute Child
- Meaningful Name - The closest thing she has to a real name is her Nom de Guerre "Baraquiel" ("Lightning of God"), which she got for being the fastest member of her training batch.
- Naturalized Name - Her alias in Avelia is "Isabel de Sica".
- Nice Hat - Never seen without her beret.
- Nietzsche Wannabe - Believes in a 'Morality of the World', wherein "if the world lets it happen, then it must be moral". This includes death, suffering, and all those bad, bad things.
- Ojou Ringlets
- The Only One I Can Trust - As with all Angels, Elsa will only give her Nom de Guerre to somebody she absolutely trusts.
- Robinsonade - A variant thereof. Port Allison is relatively "civilised", as far as extremely corrupt and violent colonies go, but she's still stranded as there hasn't been a ship to or from Remillia in over three months, directly or otherwise. And it's still not safe here.
- Senseless Violins
- The Spartan Way - Her training included fighting naked in the Arctic against a polar bear one-on-one with nothing but a single katar.
- Tyke Bomb
- You Are Number 6 - She is officially known as EMB-54A-87. "Elsa van Dorst" is just a Code Name.