- Crisis of Faith: Following the events in "Silence."
- Deadpan Snarker: To God no less.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Sometimes God communicates with Joan this way.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Zigzagged. She wants to be good at something or wishes her missions from God were something bigger like saving the world, but then gets upset when they interfere with her social life.
- I See Dead People: Part of the "talking to God" package. Although according to Rocky and Judith, Joan doesn't see them every time they're around.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Plot-Induced Stupidity: We're looking at you, season two.
- Worthy Opponent: How Ryan views her.
- Psychic Powers: Her charism "discernment of spirits" is a form of these. It include a vision of Kevin's accidents before the cops came, psychic dreams about the synagogue fire and church vandalism, speaking to God in dreams, and seeing Judith's ghost when she visits Joan.
- Mama Bear: "If someone else made those jokes about you, I would scratch their eyes out."
- Big Brother Instinct: He gives a fair amount of advice to his younger siblings and offers to roll over anyone who picks on Joan.
- Disabled Snarker
- Big Brother Instinct: Despite being the youngest, we frequently see him looking out for Joan's best interests, and Kevin gets mad at Luke for taking on the big brother role in "The Devil Made Me Do It."
- TV Genius
- The Unfavorite: His parents forget his birthday, he's frequently overshadowed by Kevin, and there's a Running Gag especially in the early episodes that no one in the family is actually listening when he talks, to the point that he's shocked when they react to something he's said.
Subdefectives and Others
- Photographic MemoryGrace: The dude has a photographic memory. Everytime he thinks he might forgive you, the image of you smashing his artwork just pops into his head. Not that I've discussed it with him.
- The Stoner: Subverted. People think he's a stoner, but it's an act to keep people from getting too close and to keep Mr. Price away from his art.