open/close all folders
Voiced by: Rasmus HardikerThe main protagonist of the series, Spencer is a clever, inventive 14 year old kid who aspires to one day become a famous movie producer. Until that day, however, he makes B-List horror movies with his friends. Though he often gets into trouble due to his and Billy's antics, this also helps him mature as a person.
- Affectionate Nickname: Billy rarely ever calls him by his real name, and sticks to calling him different variations of "bro".
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Spencer knows ghosts are real but refuses to believe that Billy's fur coat is really made of werewolf fur.
- B-Movie: Not only is Spencer a big fan of them; but most of his home movies belong to that category (with zombies being his most recurrent theme).
- Berserk Button: Don't you dare to offend his family in front of him, or give bad reviews towards his movies
- Big Brother Instinct: When the resident school bully, Kleet, tries to take advantage of Spencer's sister and family in "The Uninvited". Spencer definitely does not stand for it.
- Butt-Monkey: Gets his share of beatdowns thrown at him, usually by Kleet or Billy. note
- Chick Magnet: To a lesser extent than Billy, but still. Shallina is secretly in love whit him, Mallory apparently likes him, "The Soapies" - Dorine, Morine, and Florine - from time to time and a certain subtext in his relationship with Lolo.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Usually is the one to keep Billy grounded.
- Deadpan Snarker: Compared to Billy and Rajeev? Big time.
- Foil: To Billy. Billy is very wild and out there, while Spencer is more down to earth and willing to think through situations than be impulsive about them.
- Determinator: Nothing will stop him from finishing a movie.
- Everything's Deader with Zombies: He always finds the chance to include zombies in his work.
- Heroes Want Redheads: His crush on Mallory.
- Hollywood Genetics: Spencer has brown hair, however his mom is a redhead and his dad is a blue-eyed blonde.
- I See Dead People: Due to wearing one of Billy's amulets, he is able to see him.
- Iron Butt Monkey: With all the aforementioned smackdowns he gets from people usually much stronger than him, he's usually able to get right back up with little visible injuries.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The Feminine Boy to Jessica's Masculine Girl.
- Master of Illusion: More often with the help of Billy, he gets to have very impressive "special effects" on his movies; though he does manage to make a headless illusion by himself on a school talent show.
- Mistaken For Crazy: At times when his sister catches him 'talking to himself'.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Big fan of horror movies, especially Zombies.
- Punny Name: Due to his last name being "Wright", this leads to some rather funny puns.Hugh: Wrights are never wrong!Principal Ponzi: You think you're right, Wright! But you're wrong, WRONG.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Billy's Red Oni (curiously opposing their color theme).
- Straight Man: He frequently has to play the role in response to Billy's antics.
Billy Joe Cobra
Voiced by: Darren ForemanThe supporting protagonist of the series, Billy was once a superstar musician who rocked the charts with his hits... before dying an untimely death and becoming a ghost. Since then he haunts his former mansion, and once he develops a friendship with his distant cousins Spencer, he takes it upon himself to teach how to fit in to the glamorous California lifestyle... which he will repeatedly mess up for various reasons. He is hyperactive, a bit of diva, and has an ego so large it could dwarf a small planet.
- Ambiguously Jewish: His real name was revealed in "School Of Terror", to be Baruch Cohen.
- Applied Phlebotinum: His ectoplasm can do everything from bringing gum to life to turning Spencer into a werewolf.
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Though in "School Of Terror", it's revealed that Billy Joe Cobra is his stage name and not his actual name.
- Berserk Button: Never EVER call him a no talent hack, or insult his music. He will strike back and you will pay for it.
- Big Eater: In spite of, you know... Being a ghost.
- Butt-Monkey: Not as much as Spencer, but Billy gets his fair share.
- The Cameo: He's one of the extras in Equestria Girls.
- Chick Magnet: Most of his fans are women, and he himself claims that he used to be quite the looker when he was alive and just reeled girls in like a natural.
- Companion Cube: He got waaaay too attached to a wax statue of himself.
- Conflict Ball: Both averted and invoked depending on the episode, most of the conflict comes from Billy messing up unintentionally for ridiculous reasons.
- Crossdresser: He has worn women's clothing and also taken on a human female form many occasions for the sake of comedy.
- Ectoplasm: Billy's ectoplasm can create unique/dangerous things, like supernatural monsters. It can even turn a person temporarily into a ghost.
- Forgetful Jones: Tends to be a bit absentminded.
- Formerly Fat: Billy was once shown to be morbidly obese at one point during his touring days. Whether he lost the weight before his death or reverted to his younger self as a ghost is unknown.
- Genius Ditz: Despite being not very street smart, Billy seems to enjoy learning very much and knows a lot about certain subjects.
- Ghostly Advisor: To Spencer, Rajeev and Shanila.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Tends to fly off the handle when he or his music is insulted.
- Impossibly Tacky Clothes: Most of Billy's outfits are these, upped to eleven in "Trouble with Hairy".
- It's All About Me: In spades, and usually the reason Spencer can't stay out of trouble.
- Invisibility: Invisible to everyone unless you're wearing some of his old clothing.
- Large Ham: Comes with being a rockstar really.
- Me's a Crowd: "Billy, Billy, Billy, Billy, Billy". Though Billy is actually fine with having so many of himself around, understandable due to how much he loves himself.
- Mind over Matter: As of "School Of Terror", Billy has developed telekinesis.
- Narcissist: Adores himself more than his fangirls do.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: His name and default outfit seem to be inspired by Green Day front-man Billie Joe Armstrong.
- Non-Standard Character Design: More round and noodly than the other characters.
- Ocular Gushers: When he cries it's usually this. Made a plot point before, as his tears are made of ectoplasm, which has adverse side effects on whatever it contaminates.
- Our Ghosts are Different: Seems able to do pretty much the same things he could when he was alive, like sleep, eat, etc. although whether he actually needs to or not is not addressed.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Spencer's Blue Oni (curiously opposing their color theme).
- Security Cling: Billy has a habit of wrapping his entire body around Spencer if something frighteneds him.
- Series Continuity Error: Sometimes the writers forget that only people wearing Billy's old possessions can see him.
- Shrine to Self: Billy's entire mansion seems to be one big shrine to himself.
- Smarter Than You Look: Reveals to be this in "Billy Joe the Scholar".
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: When he was alive, (although he wasn't exactly dark) Billy definitely fit this trope.
- Too Dumb to Live: Some of Billy's decisions are borderline questionable to some fans, "Billy Joe's Last Fan" being a huge red flag. Probably the reason why he died so young...
- Three Chords and the Truth: When Billy was a rock star, he only knew three chords.
- Verbal Tic: The word "Bro", also including alternate forms of the word, like "Broseph" or "Bromigo".
- Vague Age: He's probably either in his late teens or is a young adult.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: One of Billy's most prominent ghost abilities.
- Would Hurt a Child: Billy, specially if said child is messing with his beloved possessions.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: After he became a ghost, Billy's hair changed from black to blue.
The Wright Family
Spencer's dad. He can be a bit eccentric but is a very caring father. He works as an accountant but has a passion for inventing and tinkering with things. Ironically, he is terrible with technology (especially computers).
Spencer's mom. She can be a little eccentric but is normally more level-headed than Spencer's dad. She also loves to style hair. Billy Joe Cobra's distant-cousin relationship to the Wrights has been implied to come from her side of the family.
Spencer's little sister. She is very athletic and even has a black belt in karate (which appears to be her favorite sport). She can be a bit annoying at times, and believes her brother is very weird for "talking to himself".
- Hollywood Genetics: Jessica has dark blue hair and green eyes, however her mom is a redhead with black eyes and her dad is a blue-eyed blonde.
- Little Miss Badass: Jessica, who must be no older than 12 and she's already a black belt.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The Masculine Girl to Spencer's Feminine Boy.
- Precocious Crush: She had a crush on Jerk Jock Kleet in "The Uninvited". She got over it when Spencer revealed that Kleet didn't even bother to learn her name.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Jessica has dark blue hair.
A mysterious woman who not only is aware of the mechanism that it makes Billy visible to human eyes; but is also seeking to catch the ghost, and keep keep him in a jar as part of her extend collection of Billy Joe Cobra memorabillia
- Bad Boss: Towards Hoover.
- Collector of the Strange: Trying to add billy, a ghost to her collection.
- Fangirl: With her earrings in the shape of Billy's head and even her manicure has Billy's face on it.
- The Collector: Madame X collects anything BJC related.
- The Faceless: We do get to see the lower part of her face.
- Stalker With a Crush: On Billy.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Madame X has dark purple hair.
A mysterious older man working for Madame X who's tasked with the job of capturing Billy Joe Cobra and returning him to his mistress. Due to Madame X he also knows the secret to see Billy, and wears his underwear to do so. He's a bit bumbling, and messes up most of his successful captures, but he tries.
- Butt-Monkey: He always manages to fail to capture Billy, and usually ends up being abused by the end.
- Bumbling Sidekick: To Madame X. He is constantly messing up in his attempts to capture Billy, which tries her patience.
- The Dragon: Can be seen as one towards Madame X.
- Fan Boy: Of Justin Bieber Expy JTT
- Fan Disservice: He often use Billy's underwear on top of his own underwear....and we get to see it, also his choice of swimwear.
- Master of Disguise: Adverted, Everybody (even Billy with some help) can recognize him.
- Punny Name: Sam Hoover frequently tries to capture Billy with a vacuum-like device.
The principal of Spencer's high school, he is a militant man who hates Spencer with a passion and takes pleasure out of making his life miserable. He will do anything to get him expelled from school, even if he's being unfair and unreasonable in the process.
- The Determinator: Will do anything to make Spencer's life a living hell and or get him expelled from school.
- Disproportionate Retribution: He's given (or threatened to give) Spencer detentions for infractions such as hanging posters in the school hallway and having brown hair. He also attempted to get Spencer expelled on the grounds that he and his family were "weirdos".
- Evil Is Petty: In different episodes, it's suggested that Ponzi targets Spencer specifically either because Billy humiliated Ponzi on a televised talent show ("Ponzi's Got Talent"), or because Spencer's an easy target due to not having socialite parents ("Escape From Beverly Beverly High"). Whatever the reason, it's not really justifiable.
- For the Evulz: He wants to ruin Spencer's life and get him expelled...why? Well why not?
- Hidden Depths: He's a talented ribbon dancer, as shown in "Ponzi's Got Talent".
- Likes Older Women: Has a crush on Mrs. Rumsfeld, who was his teacher when he was a kid.
- Meaningless Villain Victory/Pyrrhic Villainy: In "Escape From Beverly Beverly High", it's implied that the reason Ponzi is so horrible to Spencer is because, as the only student without rich and influential parents, he's the perfect vent for job stress. Therefore, if he does succeed in getting rid of Spencer, he'll lose the only student he can oppress with impunity.
- Professional Butt-Kisser: Will suck up to anyone if he thinks it will help him make a profit, even if its Spencer.
- Speech Impediment: Has a bit of a lisp.
- Uncatty Resemblance: To his pet bird, Lorenzo, who also has the same style of hairpiece.
The star athlete of Spencer's school, Kleet also hates Spencer with a burning passion, and will do whatever it takes to make his life miserable. Thick-headed and driven by anger, he's sometimes The Dragon to Principal Ponzi.
- Jerk Jock: Towards Spencer and pretty much everyone else.
A rich, spoiled, popular girl with a stereotypical valley girl accent. She doesn't like Spencer or his friends, as they usually stand up to her conceited and 'popular' attitude or just plain annoy her (mostly via Spencer's horror movies or Rajeev's flirting).
- False Friend: To Mallory and some extent to all the "popular" boys and girls.
- Punny Name: Her full name, Lolo Calorie, is a pun on "low calorie".
- Removing the Rival: A Flash Back in one episode shows that Lolo left Shanilla tied up backstage in order to steal her role in the school musical.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Lolo is becoming in one to Spencer so as the series goes on.
Spencer's best friend and lead actor, Rajeev is likable, funny character who helps out Spencer with his movies by playing the lead actor. He can see Billy Joe Cobra by wearing a belt that once belonged to him.
- Camp Straight: He crossdresses for fun, as it seems to be implied (Shanilla mentioned having lent all her gowns to him, for some reason) but still likes to have his way with girls.
Spencer's friend and Rajeev's sister. She is much more level-headed than her brother and is often the voice of common sense between the two. She wears a pink bracelet that used to belong to Billy in order to see the him. She also has a secret crush on Spencer.
- A Day in the Limelight: "The Candidate" featured Shanilla rather prominently.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Her efforts to help Spencer's campaign for school president ventured into breaking and entering twice, not to mention her impression of Lolo used to trick a voice recognizer.
- Out of Focus: Compared with her brother and Spencer, she has the least amount of screen-time in the show of the trio.
A pretty, popular girl who Spencer has a crush on. She is extremely nice and friendly, and appears to like Spencer as well.
- 100% Adoration Rating: She's so nice and so loved by everyone that upsetting her is considered a heinous crime in-universe.
- Demoted to Extra: Since "Reality Showdown" onward.
- Nice Girl: She's so nice and so loved by everyone that upsetting her is considered a heinous crime In-Universe.
- Satellite Love Interest: On a sort. She looks nice, kind, friendly; she is loved for everyone in Beverly Heights; she is the object of affection of Spencer... and that's all we ever know about her.