Characters: Buck Godot: Zap Gun for Hire
open/close all folders
New Hong Kong
- Acrofatic: Granted he's a Hoffmanite so most of that is muscle and he grew up in four gees.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Combat Pragmatist
- Guile Hero - Not that Buck is a slouch when it comes to fighting, but his life and pay-check are always ultimately saved by his ability to think on his feet and play the entities around him against each other.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: He spends most of his time at the bar, though this characteristic is played down as the stories continue.Green-Skinned Space Babe: Are you Buck Godot, the detective?Buck: No. I'm Buck Godot, the drunkard. Detecting is just my hobby.
- Kevlard: At one point his bulk saves him from a poison that usually kills in a couple seconds long enough to get the antidote.
Louisa Dem Five
- Anything That Moves
- Bald Women
- Boldly Coming: Louisa Dem Five's preferred approach to inter-species diplomacy.
- Ethical Slut
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: And one with a very strong opinion of hookers without hearts of gold.
- Love Is in the Air
- Silk Hiding Steel: Not much silk, but she's the one who conducts a "New Hong Kong wake" to honor and avenge Oort in the Gallimaufry arc.
The Pistol-Packin' Polaris Packrat
- Alliterative Name
- Hypercompetent Sidekick - Smith and Wesson are obviously the brains of the operation.
- Adventurer Archaeologist - Oddly enough.
- Blue and Orange Morality - Does not consider species to be intelligent until they have invented teleportation.
- Eldritch Abomination / Starfish Alien
- Mass Teleportation
Der Rock the Destroyer
- Phantom Thief - from Sufficiently Advanced Aliens, no less.
- Badass - Fresh out of hospital, having had most of his body reconstructed from scratch, and still requiring a cane to walk, he still manages to fight 35 members of the PSmith collective to a standstill.
- Badass Normal: Implied to be a bog-standard human.
The Winslow! (All Hail!)
- Dissonant Serenity - "Hi!"
- MacGuffin - Lampshaded and deconstructed. Three-fourths of known religions revolve around Its importance; nobody can agree on why. Wars break out as various races/beliefs fight over It, and there are disastrous repercussions.
- Obfuscating Stupidity - Maybe... "No! Do not eat own foot! Could not be stupider if you tried!"
Ambassador Ettarre Cabell
- Damsel in Distress
- Iron Lady
- Meaningful Name: Ettarre is James Branch Cabell''s name for the unattainable Most Beautiful Woman.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Token Wholesome - with Thad.
- Not entirely— they're pledged to each other, and Ettarre has the libido-inhibiting virus. Once she recovers, she jumps him in public, and the view quickly cuts to Buck looking away and Madam Dem Five looking pleased.
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- A Date with Rosie Palms - Apparently out-of-control hormones pose a health hazard. Ettarre has the libido-inhibiting virus, but Thad doesn't want to break his pledge to her by sleeping with someone else. Eventually he solves the problem by raiding a medical officer's Porn Stash.
- Dissonant Serenity - Most people don't calmly walk through a raging Melee A 30. Most people didn't grow up in New Hong Kong.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl
- Token Wholesome - with Ettarre.
Sergeant Anton Clisp
Rowan and Martin
- Intellectual Animals
- McNinja - Martin the cat.
- Smart Dogs Wear Glasses
- The Nose Knows - Rowan the terrier.
- Uplifted Animal
Security Chief Parahexavoctal
- Cute Monster Girl
- It's for a Book - And one that her editor rejected, no less.
- Super Strength - Her intro includes casually tossing Buck around with one hand.
- Weaksauce Weakness - If Buck had paid more attention during their first meeting, he may have learned that she's terrified of potato mashers.
- Cute Is Evil — It turns out the Pogs are one of the races that worship the Winslow, and when they figure out humanity has it, they turn on their former allies, spreading a bio-engineered plague that saps the libido and eventually the mind in hopes of just taking it from humanity once they all go extinct. Despite this, they still look like happy, friendly little shell-less turtles.
- Expy: Played with. Until The Reveal, they seem like an homage to Pogo, with a strong resemblance to the turtle in that strip, Churchy La Femme.
- Funny Animal: Look kind of like a cross between a bipedal lizard and a bipedal turtle without a shell.
- Attack Animal
- Because You Were Nice to Me - Since there is a "shoot on sight" order for all Beemahs, Buck treating them with basic courtesy, respect, and honesty earns him this.
- Living Weapon
- Morality Pet - for the Kleg, in the end.
- Punny Name - They shoot energy beams from lenses in their foreheads. They're beamers.
- Waddling Head - They have fully-formed digitigrade legs, but otherwise qualify.
- Deconstructed somewhat— they require assistance for basic life functions, such as eating, which forces them to serve others in exchange for survival.
- You No Take Candle - Are capable of more normal speech pattens when carefully considering things, but rapidly devolve into this when stressed(especially when pissed off).
- The Atoner - According to the Ambassador, they regret selling the Zmouf the technology they used to create and enslave Beemahs. Confronted with living Beemahs, the Ambassador breaks down and starts crying.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold - Possibly even a Jerkass Fašade. They have devoted their race's skill with biotechnology to preventing biological warfare, possibly as a result of their involvement in the creation and enslavement of the Beemahs.
- Planet of Hats - "They're jerks." Relative to humans, at least, the Kleg are all irritable stingy jerks. Their other hat is biotechnology.
- Eldritch Abomination / Starfish Aliens - a good example of how hard it is to distinguish between the two. The Uligb exist in and perceive 17-and-a-half dimensions at once, including time; their physical forms resemble nothing so much as a cluster of eyes suspended in a hovering amorphous bedsheet. They are friends of humanity because they like popsicles - they stuff and mount them. They are respected as the most dangerous opponents in the known universe: they can destroy ANYTHING in a manner resembling a three-dimensional computer programmer "destroying" a typed character by hitting the "delete" key. Except it doesn't work on the Winslow. It's foretold that any Uligb attacking the Winslow is "the last sign". It's correct, as seconds later, the Prime Mover "deletes" them for aiding in a coup.
Return to Buck Godot: Zap Gun for Hire.
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.