Blog / Just Another Fool
So, a young lad named Logan. One of his friends (named Matt) is going to Iraq in February 2009; so, as a parting gift, he gives him a black, moleskin notebook. However, Matt is caught in an ambush in early July; he survived
, and had post-traumatic stress disorder. He came back to America and spent the remainder of his days in a mental hospital; he died on July 30th, 2009. Then, on August 5th, Logan receives Matt's notebook.
And there was some freaky shit
A part of The Slender Man Mythos
, and almost certainly the Trope Maker
for the numerous blogs based on the character. Beginning only a week or two after Marble Hornets
began, it is one of the most popular Slender Man blogs. You can find the first post here
and the first mention of the notebook
, that the below examples will contain unmarked spoilers. It is advised for you to read through the blog first, then read these examples. Be warned!
This series provides examples of:
- Ascended Extra: DavFlamerock and TetsuyaBH were commentators; they ended up receiving notebooks from Logan and made Youtube videos analyzing them. DavFlamerock is also a moderator at Unfiction forums.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: In the first page of the notebook, Slendy's hat is cleanly visible, despite the fact that he otherwise looks more like a spider than a human.
- The Bad Guy Wins
- The Blank: As always, the Slender Man himself.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Implied by the note in "Searching."
- Chekhov's Gun: Logan's watch.
- Crazy Survivalist: Matt, at first. Logan takes up the mantle after the blog post "Untitled." It's implied that Slender Man tries to kill Logan, who runs. Later, he posts a blog with just a title: "LEAVE IT JOSH." He continues to haunt the blog and try to shake Josh off the case.
- Decoy Protagonist: Logan; after a while, he goes missing and Josh takes over the blog.
- Don't Go in the Woods: From the second page on, trees become a recurring element. One of the "categories" is entitled RESULTS OF THE TREES.
- Downer Ending: The final post strongly implies that Slender Man has succeeded in killing Josh.
- Early Installment Weirdness: As mentioned below, it is the Trope Codifier for Slenderblogs. But it also has some elements that was not carried over into the greater mythos.
- Some of the sketches depict Slendy with a hat (admittedly a nice one) - Something that was not seen anywhere else.
- While Slendy is certainly capable of it, wiping out a Marine squad in a violent and bloody confrontation is not his style. Granted Unreliable Narrator is at play here but nevertheless.
- Eye Scream: Apparently, Slendy did this to Logan in their first confrontation.
- Follow the Leader: This blog pretty much started the trend of having ARG blogs about Slender Man screwing with people. They're all still worth reading, of course.
- Foreshadowing: When Josh is on his motorcycle, he almost crashes into a certain "business man"... guess how the story is heavily implied to end.
- Four is Death: It is implied that Logan is attacked by the Slender Man at 11:11. Four ones, which make one four.
- From Bad to Worse: Much, MUCH worse.
- Genius Bonus: The blog is peppered with references to Yggdrasil, the Axis Mundi in Norse Mythology. Under the root of the tree that goes to the land of giants is the Mimir's Well. Mimir knows and understands all things because he drinks from the Well. Odin, the chief Norse God, went to the well and asked for a single drink, a drink that would give him great wisdom, but Mimir demanded that Odin gouge out his eye before drinking. In exchange for the eye, wisdom. Logan loses an eye to the Slender Man in his first encounter with it. Logan then displays, and relates to both Joshua and Dav Flamerock, information that he would have no way of knowing. In other words, Logan traded his eye for knowledge, just like Odin.
- Hidden Eyes: Logan's hiding his right eye with his hand in "Laughter", "ALMOST TIME" and is supposed to be in "Game Over." According to Word of God, "Game Over" was a botched Photoshop job, and Logan is supposed to have lost an eye running from Slendy.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: Slendy is in the final picture with Logan; look closely at the trees in the background. According to Word of God, Logan died minutes after posting the picture online.
- Kill 'em All: Everyone who posts on the blog ends up dead.
- Kubrick Stare: Logan in "Laughter."
- Laughing Mad: Logan is implied to have become this; see the blog post "Laughter."
- Look Behind You: The tie-in videos made by Dav involve this with "DONT TURN AROUND" written in the notebook (one page per word). Dav helpfully pans the camera up to show that there's nothing behind him.note
- Nightmare Retardant: At the end of the blog, in their first confrontation, the Slender Man is supposed to have gouged Logan's eyes out, but in the last picture he posts before dying, he clearly has both eyes. Apparently he was supposed to have held his hand over it to hide the fact that whoever was playing Logan in the pictures clearly still has an eye, but he didn't. And so we have a protagonist missing an eye who isn't... missing an eye. At all.
- No Ending: The blog ends abruptly with Josh going to ID Logan's body, saying it won't take more than an hour or two; given an earlier incident involving a near-accident on a motorcycle and a certain "asshole businessman," the implication is that he died in a Slendy-caused crash.
- Noodle People: Slendy on the first page of the notebook.
- Non-Indicative First Episode: The first blog post is oddly light-hearted compared to the rest of the blog.
- Sanity Slippage: Logan starts slipping in "Untitled."
- Shout-Out: Logan lives on Ash Tree Lane.
- Dav Flamerock attends Miskatonic University.
- It is implied that Logan (and possibly Matt) were attacked at 11:11. Noah Maxwell's birthday is 11/11 (and appropriately fucked-up Slendershit went down).
- Slasher Smile: Rather creepy one in the blog post "ALMOST TIME?"
- Slenderman Mythos: The first blog story that featured Slender Man.
- Trope Maker: This blog has spawned dozens of imitators and wannabes; for a full list, check the list in the link to the Unfiction forums.
- The War on Terror: Alert Level Blue. Matt was sent to Iraq, encountered the Slender Man, and this kicks off the plot.
- When Trees Attack: Trees are a recurring element in this blog, with both Yggdrasil and many pictures of trees appearing throughout.
- Word of God: Confirmed that the game was over, since some fans were confused by the blog's sudden end. Also explains some of the blog's pacing errors towards the end.
- The World Tree: Yggdrasil is implied to have significance; nothing much comes of it, however.