Blog / Alice and Bob
Alice and Bob
(obviously named after a certain couple you always see here) is a blog story running on Tumblr
on the account "thealiceandbobstory" ("aliceandbob" was already taken), written by our very own Panctice Squad Cutterback
, the author of Allen the Alien
. The story mainly concerns Bob and his powers of the world around him changing.
This work provides examples of:
- Alice and Bob: The source of the title.
- All Men Are Perverts: Lampshaded but averted.
- Attack Its Weak Point: How Bob defeats the Dark Truck.
- Better Than a Bare Bulb
- Big Eater: Bob eats a 51-gallon tub of popcorn. ("High blood pressure, my ass")
- Bland-Name Product
- Bluenose Bowdlerizer: Alice keeps censoring Bob's posts.
- Bold Inflation: Lampshaded. "Man, I use bold way too much."
- Captain Obvious: After Bob gets moved three spaces back in a board game.
Alice: "Bob, you just got moved three spaces back. I think we're in a board game."
Bob: "'Yeah, I kinda figured.' (People love to state the obvious)"
- Department of Redundancy Department: Done here and lampshaded.
"Anyway, I was about to be killed and murdered in my murderous killing bed. And I was going to be murdered. (I want to use redundancy for emphasis.)"
- Edible Bludgeon: The characters used rotten food (technically edible) to fight in chapter 2.
- Evil Is Cool: "Right now villain stuff looks tempting."
- Gigantic Gulp: Bob drinks a 51-gallon tub of soda. ("High blood pressure, my ass")
- Green Rocks: The Amy trophy, which was made of "phlebotinum". It's invoked by Phlebotinum Inc.
"I watched a documentary on the Unnatural Channel. They said that it was constructed by "Phlebotinum Inc." to serve many purposes. Including superpowers, apparently."
- Idiosyncratic Chapter Naming: "Holy X, Batman!"
- I Love Nuclear Power: Defied. "For the last fucking time, nuclear power does not give you superpowers."
- iPhony: The iBone.
- It Was a Dark and Stormy Night: Parodied. "It was a Bulwer-Lytton night..."
- Lesser Star: Bob considers Alice to be this. "[She] isn't all that important. She's a supporting character at most."
- Loads and Loads of Loading: Bob's iBone is only a fourth of the way finished loading even after a full hour.
- Mathematician's Answer: Double subverted. "We are in a place. Well, thatís not a good answer. We are actually in a place."
- Murphy's Bed: Bob is in one in chapter 2.
- Nintendo Hard: Bob says that Metal Grinder "was as hard as an NEC game."
- Nobody Poops: While the diarrhea from the rotten food is an aversion, this trope is lampshaded.
"Surprisingly, nobody really seems to have to take a dump in fiction. Like, I used to play Elf Forest
, which was overly realistic. You could pretty much do anything but
relieve bodily wastes. The only game I recall in which you can do that is Simmy Buddies
which I think had that toilet meter.
- Potty Emergency: Due to rancid food, both Alice and Bob have to run for the toilet. Bob still has the runs in chapter 3.
- Power Incontinence: Bob can't control his world-changing powers.
- Precision F-Strike: Quoth Alice, "For the last fucking time, nuclear power does not give you superpowers."
"Oh, crap, she used a swear word, it must be serious."
- Reality Warper: Bob. The world can change at his will. Too bad he can't control it.
- Reference Overdosed: If not, then it's certainly getting there. Even early after creation.
- Revealing Cover-Up: The strikethroughs are clearly meant in-universe to cover words up.
- Said Bookism: Zigzagged in chapter 2, with attempts at avoiding "said" and then just settling on that word.
- Sophomore Slump: Discussed.
"I was watching my favorite anime of all time, The Sadness of Hurai Shoujo
. Well, itís mainly just the first season that I fancy. The second season is just the same episode several times. For some reason, the second installment of anything good seems to suck. Like, when I played Dragon Emblem II
, it was way too underwhelming for my tastes, compared to that first game."
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Bob considers Candy World to be this.
- Waxing Lyrical: I was reluctantly crouched at the starting line. With the engines pumping and starting in time...