The U.S. Marines' Rifleman's Creed:
"This is my rifle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...
My rifle and I know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...
My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen."
The US Army's U.S. Soldier's Creed* :
- "Semper Fi!", which is shortened from Semper Fidelis (Latin for "Always Faithful").
- "Forgiveness is between them and God. It's our job to arrange the meeting."
- "Once A Marine, Always A Marine."
- "To err is human; to forgive, divine. Neither is Marine Corps policy."
- "On bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps".
- "No better friend, no worse enemy."
- From 1st Recon: "Swift, silent, deadly."
- The Marines also have the more light hearted, "This is my rifle/ This is my gun./ One is for killing/ The other's for fun." Three guesses what the "gun" is.
- "Warrior by day, lover by night, drunkard by choice, Marine by the grace of God."
- "If the Army and the Navy ever gaze on Heaven's scenes, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines." Boy, these guys have a lot of creeds.
- That one gets bonus points for being a lyric in the Marine Corps Hymn.
- A much more understated one from the Marines: every Marine a rifleman. And it's true. Unlike any of the other American service branches, the Marines make everyone in their uniform go through full basic and qualify as an infantryman. That includes the lawyers who work for JAG, the musicians who play for the band, the doctors, everyone. They all went through Training from Hell to become combat soldiers, even if what they do has nothing to do with combat.
- The saying is "You join the Army to learn a specialization. You join the Navy to hang out in Pattaya. You join the Air Force to go to computing college. You join the Marine Corps to fight." note
- In their training, every Marine must memorize and be able to recite verbatim "The mission of the Marine rifle squad is to LOCATE, CLOSE WITH, and DESTROY the enemy by fire and maneuver, or to repel his assault by fire and close combat." — even the doctrine can be a badass creed.
- Also: "Hard things we can do right away. Impossible things may take a bit longer."
- 2nd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division: "Retreat, Hell!" (as in: "Retreat? Like Hell we will!")
"I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team.
I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values. I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.*
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier." Hooah
(Common, though not part of the creed itself)
- The Army motto, from the seal: "This We'll Defend."
- There's the very first one that they ever used: "Don't Tread On Me."
- The Infantryman's Creed:
"I am the Infantry. I am my country's strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight — wherever, whenever. I carry America's faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be — the best trained soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on — through the foe, to the objective, to triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, for I am mentally tough,physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!"
- US Army Combat Arms training:
"Men? We're not men, we're animals, and you made us this way! We don't eat; we don't sleep; all we do is dress-right-dress-right-dress! Straight between the second and third ribs — kill!" Also said in response to being called 'soldiers' or 'ladies'.
- 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment: Allons ("Let's Go")
- 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment: Toujours Prêt ("Always Ready")
- US Army Corps of Engineers: Essayons ("Let Us Try")
- Also "Rangers lead the way... after Engineers clear it."
- Special Forces (the "Green Berets"): De oppresso liber ("To Liberate the Oppressed")
- 10th Mountain Division: "Climb to Glory". Nowadays, their specialty is airborne assault.
- 3rd Infantry Division: Nous Resterons La ("We're staying here"). Said in response to an ally's suggestion that the division should retreat during the Battle of the Marne. After the battle, the 3rd would be known as "The Rock of the Marne."
- 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment "Night Stalkers" have two: "Night Stalkers Don't Quit" and "Death Waits in in the Dark".
- Also "We Own The Night."
- US Army Rangers: "Rangers Lead The Way!"
- 75th Ranger Regiment: Sua Sponte ("Of Their Own Accord")
- The Ranger's Creed:
Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of my Ranger Regiment.
Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster and fight harder than any other soldier.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one-hundred-percent and then some.
Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.
Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.
Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor.
Rangers Lead The Way!!!
- 101st Airborne Division: "Rendezvous With Destiny"
- Military Police Corps: "Of the troops, For the troops. Assist, Protect, Defend."