Works in this franchise with their own pages:
- "Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker!" In the first, it is a CMoA; in the third, it follows a CMoA - John McClane taking down Simon Gruber and his partner in a buzzard by shooting an electric cable; in the second and fourth, it precedes a CMoA - McClane blowing a plane in mid-air with a lighter, and while being held hostage by the villain, killing the baddie by shooting his own shoulder.
- How about Holly punching the smarmy reporter in the face?
- And tasering him a year later.
- Ironically, Hans Gruber's defeat was a CMOA for him. After getting shot by McClane and falling out the window, he almost pulls down Holly with him and makes one last effort to shoot McClane (which he does quite calmly considering the situation he is in). Then he falls in slow motion all dramatic-like. He may have lost, but damn if he wasn't badass about it!
- "Unfortunately, your Mr. Takagi did not see it that way, so he won't be joining us for the rest of his life." He says it very coolly, while eating a sandwich. The best part? Alan Rickman just thought it was the kind of thing Hans would do.
- Holly negotiating with Hans:
HANS: What idiot put you in charge?
HOLLY: You did. (Hans looks up in surprise) When you murdered my boss. Now everybody's looking to me. Personally, I'd pass on the job. I don't enjoy being this close to you.
- Holly's CMOA is negotiating with Hans at that level, and Hans' CMOA is that he simply accepts being called an idiot, because she was right!
- Argyle cutting off Theo with the limo and knocking him out.
- John taking out the rocket launcher-wielding terrorists with their own plastic explosives.
- "Oops, no bullets"
- "Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho."
- Powell shooting Karl, regaining his ability to use his gun. As John is pushing Holly out of the way, you can see Powell going for his gun.
- When McClane ties a firehose around his waist and leaps off the roof of the Nakatomi Plaza. In slow motion. Just as the FBI is about to shoot him from a helicopter. As the roof explodes behind him. It's one of the best shots in the movie.
- McClane ties a computer and a brick of C4 to a chair, drops it down the elevator shaft, to the bottom floor where the terrorists are holding their weapons. The huge explosion can be felt by the hostages and Hans. McClane looks down to see the blazing fire sprouting up. He screams "OH SHIIIIT!!!" and jumps out of the way just as it reached his floor.
McClane: Geronimo motherfucker!
- Another Throw It In in the form of Hans successfully faking an American accent when he first faces McClane. Which serves as a moment of funny as well, because when he first sees him his Oh, Crap face was genuine before he used it to further fool John into thinking he was an escaped hostage.
- Pretty much Alan Rickman's whole performance. Prior to this film he had purely been a stage actor and was very nervous about whether he could transfer that to working with cameras. And he completely knocked it out of the park, even while dealing with a character who'd pretty much been a non-entity in the original novel.
- And then there is Sgt. Al Powell...besides a magnificent aversion of Police Are Useless, he also gets one hell of a Big Damn Hero moment by being the one to finally take down Karl for good. This troper still remembers the huge cheer that went up in the theater at that moment.
- A meta one for Bruce Willis himself...prior to this movie, he was mostly known for his comedic movie roles, as well as his role in the TV series Moonlighting. There was a fair amount of doubt that he would be able to pull off this movie. Now, not only has it become his best known role, but Willis is now regarded as one of the better action movie stars in modern cinema history.
- Simon's reaction to Zeus with a gun:
You call in that code right now. Or I'll blow your sick ass into the next world. Simon: [shrugs casually]
If that's what you gotta do. [Zeus pulls the trigger and nothing happens. Simon eats an egg and calmly takes the gun from Zeus.] Simon: You forgot to take the safety catch off
. [shoots Zeus in the leg] Zeus:
Oh, God! Simon:
See, that works. Now, where's McClane?
- Charlie, the NYPD bomb expert, refuses to stop working on the bomb in the school because he heard on the radio there were still kids inside the building. "No guts. No glory."