Anime: InuYasha the Movie: Affections Touching Across Time
InuYasha the Movie: Affections Touching Across Time
is the first of the four InuYasha
movies, released in 2001.
200 years ago, Inuyasha's father defeated Hyōga, a Chinese daiyokai
, and his son Menōmaru, and sealed them away
. Now, a shard of the Shikon Jewel has broken the seal on Menōmaru, and it falls to Inuyasha and his friends to finish what his father started... if they can.
This film contains examples of the following tropes (Beware of spoilers):
- And I Must Scream: Over the course of the film, Kagome is brainwashed by Menōmaru into trying to kill Inuyasha. Throughout the experience, she's fully conscious of her actions and surroundings, but unable to control her own body.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Unlike the anime series, all visible blood is actually red as opposed to reddish-black, as seen here◊.
- Big "NO!": Kagome gives out one as Menōmaru forces her to shoot Inuyasha with an arrow.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Kagome, courtesy of Menōmaru.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Menōmaru kidnaps Kagome, knowing that Inuyasha will pull a Leeroy Jenkins and give him the opportunity to break the seal on his father.
- Deadly Hug: When Inuyasha first comes across the brainwashed Kagome, she embraces him before proceeding to impale him with energized Wolverine Claws. This being Inuyasha, he survives.
- Defiant Captive: Kagome, while being held captive by Menōmaru to bait Inuyasha.
Menōmaru: "Little girl, you are bait. So start acting like bait."
Kagome: "Why don't you make me?"
- Didn't Think This Through: Ruri really should have done more research on the Wind Tunnel before she copied it from Miroku.
- Faux Affably Evil: Menōmaru acts polite and regal, but is just as arrogant and racist as most other demons.
- Fighting from the Inside: Kagome while she's being controlled by Menōmaru. Near the end of her attack on Inuyasha, she manages to seize enough control to talk to Inuyasha and desperately warn him to run before it's too late, and even then, she's visibly struggling to do so.
- Foil: Ruri and Hari serve as such to Miroku and Sango, respectively. Ruri copies the Wind Tunnel and uses it, but unlike Miroku, has no idea how to control it or how it works, and Hari, unlike Sango, believes that animals such as Kirara are nothing but slaves rather than friends.
- Generation Xerox: In a particularly twisted show of irony, Menōmaru brainwashes Kagome into nailing Inuyasha to the sacred tree with an arrow just as Kikyo did. Kikyo even lampshades it, citing the event as proof that Kagome really is her reincarnation.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: During the final battle, Hari is sliced in half by Sango.
- Hates Everyone Equally: When they meet, Sesshomaru asks Kikyo if she hates Kagome. Kikyo's response?
Kikyo: "I loathe all things. I despise every living creature who's bound to time."
- Hoist by His Own Petard: During her Wind Tunnel duel with Miroku, Ruri cuts the edge of hers to make it stronger... and quickly loses control of it and is consumed.
- Lethal Chef: Inverted. Kagome cooks up quite a feast for the gang early on. Much to her irritation, however, Inuyasha is only interested in the ramen.
- Mind-Control Eyes: Kagome has a mix of Red Eyes, Take Warning and Empty Eyes while Menōmaru is controlling her.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Menōmaru uses Inuyasha's Leeroy Jenkins tendencies to his advantage to trick Inuyasha into breaking the seal on his father. Oops...
- No One Gets Left Behind: When the brainwashed Kagome begs for Inuyasha to run before she finishes him off, Inuyasha has this to say:
Inuyasha: "That's enough! I don't wanna hear it! I'm sick of you and everyone else telling me to run. I'm not running! Not without you! I won't leave you behind!"
- Non-Serial Movie: Inuyasha has learned the Backlash Wave and Rin is traveling with Sesshomaru, which sets the film at some point after episode 54 of the anime. However, Sesshomaru lacks Tokijin, Kikyo is still a Broken Messiah who is pissed off at the world, and Inuyasha still requires his opponent's demonic aura in order to perform the Wind Scar, which are all only possible prior to episode 45.
- Not Quite Dead: Inuyasha after Menōmaru forces Kagome to shoot him.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: When he and Kikyo meet, Sesshomaru informs her that he will be the one to kill Inuyasha.
- Power Copying: Ruri copies Miroku's Wind Tunnel... which proves her undoing.
- Shout-Out: At the beginning, Kagome is wearing the same "Piyo Piyo" apron Kyoko wears on Maison Ikkoku, another Takahashi's series.
- Smug Super: Menōmaru, unlike most other members of Inuyasha's Rogues Gallery, has no desire to use the Shikon Jewel to enhance his powers because he believes he's already so powerful that he doesn't need it.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Ruri and Hari, Menōmaru's loyal henchwomen.
- Trapped in Another World: During the climax of the film, Kikyo forces Kagome back to her own time, with the Bone Eater's Well sealing itself behind her. Kagome gets back by using a sacred arrow to blast through said seal.
- Wolverine Claws: Kagome develops Laser Blade claws while being controlled by Menōmaru.