Manga: Charisma Doll
Charisma Doll is a shoujo manga written for Ribon magazine by Erika Kurahashi.Sara is an ordinary 15-year-old high school student. She's also her famous alter ego Sala, a popular new singer that no one knows their gender. She has a big crush on Hayase Shidou, the lead singer of The Rise, a popular singing group that Sala competes with, who goes to her school. Sara also has a boyfriend, who likes her for the likeness of her physical appearance to Sala. Sara finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her, and then he dumps her before she can dump him. Seeing her heartbroken, Hayase decides to get a little revenge on Sara's ex-boyfriend. They become very close, but Sala's mother and producer won't allow Sala to jeopardize her career for a boyfriend, and her rival.
Tropes used by the manga:
- Ambiguous Gender: Sala.
- Ass Pull: Sara's "secret voice changing skill" coming up just when convenient.
- Be Yourself: Eventually Sara can be, but it takes awhile to get there.
- Bishoujo: Design aesthetic used for every girl.
- Bishōnen: Every guy, so much.
- Celebrity Resemblance: Sara passes this off as her just happening to look like Sala. It is remarked upon often.
- Dating Catwoman
- Disappeared Dad
- Fangirl: Sara's a huge fangirl of Hayase, which makes it hard to be his rival.
- Follow in My Footsteps: Kazuma wants Sara to.
- Lucky Seven: Sara notices that her Rise fan club card is 0777.
- Meganekko: Sala's bodyguard
- No Such Thing as Bad Publicity: Sara feels Sala is nothing but a cheap gimmick because of the Ambiguous Gender.
- Secret Identity
- Single Girl Seeks Most Popular Guy: Only Hayase does like both Sala and Sara.
- Stage Mom: Kazuma.Sara: Remember this... a kid is not a parent's doll.
- Teen Idol
- Uncanny Valley: This is an odd version where Sara's mom admits her eyes are big and don't look real, like a doll's. She calls her a doll and that's how they dress her up.
- UST: So much.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Sara as Sala, but she crossdresses just to make her completely gender ambiguous.
- Your Cheating Heart: Sara's first boyfriend. Hayase sure gets him for it, though.