Works with their own example pages:
The series in general
- Market-Based Title
- The Mark III version was titled Super Wonder Boy, presumably to distinguish it from the earlier SG-1000 version released exclusively in Japan, since the Mark III was backwards-compatible with all SG-1000 games (also doubles as an Updated Re-release, as two extra areas were added and the dolls were given purpose besides points).
- For some reason, the Game Gear version (based on the above release) was titled Revenge of Drancon in North America (it was simply called Wonder Boy everywhere else).
- More Popular Spin-Off: The Monster World sub-series. There's a reason why the PS2 compilation was titled the Monster World: Complete Collection and not the Wonder Boy Collection.
Wonder Boy Returns
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: The Black Comedy introduction does not incite the audience to like either the cheating Tom-Tom or Tina that much.
- It's the Same, Now It Sucks!: The general fan consensus was that returning to the original gameplay was unnecessary, as it was not anything that Monster Lair or the Adventure Island series had already done better. It doesn't help that the game looks more like a dated budget mobile game and was released in the shadow of Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom and the Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake.