- Angst? What Angst?: Most of the tributes are only too ready to angst, but Francesca seems a liiiiiiiiiittle too happy about the whole thing. But it works.
- For someone who works with corpses all day, Felix is ridiculously upbeat.
- Designated Villain: The Careers and the Gamemakers.
- Fridge Horror: If making a barely-teenage girl show off her underwear on national television is sweet and innocent, what on earth do they consider racy?
- Heartwarming Moments: Ari and Laco's dance on the chariots.
- And the scene where she tells him how Namer was taken away by the Capitol and begs him not to leave her too.
- Francesca and Holland are made of these.
- Marshall's "As long as we're together, everything will be fine." Doubles as a Tear Jerker.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Holland's submission profile asked that if he died, that he would at least get to "fall down a tree or something first", which adds a new layer to his accident with the model tree during his private training session.
- Moral Event Horizon: Vince's murder of the defenseless Sapphire and Liotta are his first true act of cruelty, and shows just how serious he is when he claims he's eager and willing to kill.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- Poor, poor Sugar the party crasher.
- Evon's prep for the chariot ride also counts.
- Ferroh and Faye-Anna find Iilvsea Crane and the Creepy Twins torturing someone to death. That's bad enough, but it gets worse when Iilvsea talks to Ferroh, gets him a bandage for Faye-Anna and tells him to go enjoy the party while the poor bastard she's torturing is right there, and she's as happy as a kid in a candy shop.
- Julian's eye color was changed to blue surgically while he was still a fetus.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Dalton Rhodes, the mentor for District 10, won his Games by charging out on the back of a bear.
- Several of the training sessions, including Brandit destroying all the training dummies and Jason ripping his newly implanted wings out of his shoulder blades with his bare hands.
- One-Scene Wonder: Notably subverted. While many stories with that number of characters will give only a reaping chapter and maybe a pre-Games perspective to each, each character gets a reaping of thousands upon thousands of words, and multiple perspective before the beginning of the Games, just in case.
- Tear Jerker: Please let me be worth more than a five... She wasn't.
- The Woobie: Most characters have an aspect of this at some point or another, but Sector One sticks out, with Liotta young and helpless and Jason having wings painfully implanted into his back.
- Evon. Full stop. She gets her hands blown on, and it's all downhill from there.
YMMV / The Capitol Games