- Draco in Leather Pants: Marak Sixfinger and almost every Marak in fanfiction. During test readings, the readers would dislike Kate for not immediately falling in love with Marak even though he was attempting to kidnap her and force her into marriage.
- Jerkass Woobie: Til. Yeah, she's not a very nice person, at all, but she didn't have the easiest of childhoods. What with Kate, who shies away from confrontation, for a foster mother, and Marak...just Marak for a foster father, and being raised in a rather hostile environment where just about everyone had magic except her, constantly overshadowed by her foster brother - really, is it surprising she grows into such a nasty, bitter adult? "Small wonder that Til doesn't do so well."
- Mind Game Ship: Kate and Marak.
- Nightmare Fuel: Take your pick: the sorcerer's den, Nir's magic, the deformed goblins, the marriage ceremony. May overlap with Nausea Fuel. Do not read these books late at night.
- Sister Ship: Kate/Marak and Emily/Seylin
YMMV / Hollow Kingdom Trilogy