- Epic Riff: "A Song for Our Fathers," "Your Hand in Mine."
- Face of the Band: Averted. They are deliberately leaderless, and except for Munaf's brief greeting to the crowd at the beginning and goodbye at the end, they do not speak on stage.
- Mainstream Obscurity: Despite having their music featured in Friday Night Lights and playing to a sellout crowd at Radio City Music Hall. The fact that their songs aren't exactly radio friendly probably has something to do with this, but that seems to be the way they like it.
- Memetic Mutation: "CRESCENDOS!!!",in reference to the band's usage of grand epic finales in their songs, which is just light jabs or sarcastic remarks.
- Signature Song: "Your Hand in Mine" is seen by some as this. "The Only Moment We Were Alone" could count as well, as it's used pretty frequently in soundtracks, especially for documentaries.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: They still get emails asking for the song used as the theme to Friday Night Lights. That particular piece is not their work; it was composed by veteran TV writer W.G. Snuffy Walden and deliberately mimicked their style.
YMMV / Explosions In The Sky