- Author's Saving Throw: The first villain Xolotl defeats was originally "the Invisible Deafmute", but upon recognition that the character could come across as being potentially offensive (being a character the artist came up with as a 12-year-old), the artist went back and retconned him into "the Invisible Death Mime". Some pages of the storyline were even entirely redrawn mimicking the artist's older art style.
- Crazy Awesome: Hitlersaurus Rex vs. Stego-Stalin. 'Nuff Said.
- Genius Bonus: "Last one to surface is a paedomorph."
- "No Bayesian phylogenetics."
- Hilarious in Hindsight: In a flashback, Xolotl brings up "being ginger" as a potential flaw of humans created using broken bones. In present day, he befriends Simon, a red-headed human. Becomes Harsher in Hindsight when Simon dies permanently.
- Squick: Demon nipple lampreys.
- The costume Xolotl wears is the torn-off skin of a luchador. What's worse is that the luchador is still alive after this, and falls victim to it a second time.
YMMV / Black Mud Puppy