- Alternate Character Interpretation: Due to the revelations made in Chapter 16, some readers have started to believe that the story about Winter the wolf pup was a fabrication meant to cover up the fact that Esdeath left baby Tatsumi to be raised by a different tribe.
- In addition, did she desecrate Numa Seika's corpse just for the heck of it, or was it out of a twisted sense of retaliation for the prince nearly killing Tatsumi?
- Moral Event Horizon: Esdeath crosses it when she buries the Northern civilians alive and later kills a survivor—a young girl, mind you—after Tatsumi saved her simply because he had the audacity to care about someone other than her.
- Squick: A good chunk of Chapter 15 involves major characters perusing through a street covered in shit and then through a smelly sewer before eventually nearly drowning in sewage after a bomb is detonated near them.
- The sex scene at the end of the same chapter becomes more squicky when the following chapter reveals that Tatsumi and Esdeath are either cousins or half-siblings.
- What an Idiot!: During his conversation with Stylish, Honest makes no serious attempt to make sure that no one can hear them talking, thus a bedridden Tatsumi hears every word they say. He hasn't used this information yet, but it could prove pivotal later.
- The Woobie: Poor, poor Tatsumi. The kid really needs a hug—from someone other than Esdeath.
YMMV / Alternate Worlds