Down-and-out ex-screenwriter Austin Lively is doing "discovery" work for Global Studios and trying to stay afloat in a Hollywood that doesn't care whether he succeeds or fails. One day, he's at the Global Studios office when he walks through a doorway and finds himself in another kingdom — specifically, he's in a castle, there's a bloody knife in his hand, and a beautiful young woman is dead on the floor.
Can be found here.
Another Kingdom contains examples of:
- Blob Monster: The monster in the sewer.
- Crapsack World: After its civil war and the fall of its monarchy, Galiana is a corrupt, dirty, poverty-stricken realm.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Sean Gunther is a washed-up old author, rich off his one book but now perpetually drunk and hiring prostitutes.
- Loser Protagonist: Austin.
- Sissy Villain: Kittenface is a burly, competent assassin, but Austin can't figure out his gender for a couple of chapters and he fits Camp Gay to a tee.
- Snarky Non-Human Sidekick: Maude is a rather large magical rodent with a woman's face. She is perpetually exasperated with Austin's inability to function properly in Galiana.
- True Art Is Incomprehensible: In-Universe, Gunther's book is consistently described in these terms.