- Accidentally Correct Writing: It turned out that a joke written for Mel Gibson actually did happen in real life. The writing staff wanted Gibson to say that he would urinate behind a dumpster, because it sounded like it would not be a classy thing to do for a movie star. He had, however, already done that during a couple of film premieres because he can feel trapped in a public toilet with a lot of fans. Gibson was surprised the writers knew about the story, but it turned out to be a coincidence.
- So My Kids Can Watch: Mel Gibson jumped at a guest role, as he and his kids were big fans.
- Unintentional Period Piece:
- While in Hollywood, the Simpsons see Robert Downey Jr. in a shoot-out with the LAPD, which Marge thought was a movie being filmed, parodying his drug problems and arrests at the time.
- Ellen DeGeneres and Anne Heche are shown to be a couple; in real-life their relationship ended not long after the episode aired.
- Mel mentions the "swing revival" as one of the causes violence is not popular anymore.
- A rare example of one caused in a dub: When Mel Gibson first asks Homer to help him with his movie, Homer, still mad at him due to Marge's infatuation with him, tells him "Listen, Gibson, I'm tired of Hollywood pretty boys like you and Jack Valenti thinking you can have any woman you want!"Explanation Since Valenti is virtually unknown outside of the United States, in the Latin American Spanish dub he was replaced with Puerto Rican singer Ricky Martin. This clearly dates the episode as being made before Ricky Martin came out as gay in 2010.
Trivia / The Simpsons S 11 E 1 Beyond Blunderdome