- Most of Moreta and Nerilka's Story is this, from the deaths of Nerilka's mother and four sisters to Moreta's tragic ride and Leri and Orlith's suicide. What makes Moreta's death especially sad is that it was so sudden and unexpected to all and could have been prevented if the Telgar riders hadn't defected or if Moreta had been riding her own queen dragon, Orlith (who was watching her clutch of eggs at the time). The reactions to her death are especially tear-jerking. Alessan for a long while is determined to kill himself so that he can join Moreta in death, and only Nerilka's steady love for him brings him out of it. Sh'Gall, though having not been so close to Moreta, falls to his knees grieving before Orlith on the Hatching Grounds after hearing the news, which brings tears to your eyes since it shows that though he was fussy and argumentative toward Moreta, he did love her and respect her in his own way.
- Jaxom identifies with Ruth before he even realizes the little dragon is going to need help being born, as he himself did. When the two Impress and Jaxom cries out "He says his name is Ruth!", Lytol comes as close as he ever does to weeping, and probably so do many readers.
- Path, confused and frightened on the hatching ground, Mirrim standing up in the witnesses' area, Ramoth starting to move toward her daughter, the little dragon's frantic attempts to climb up to her girl, Mirrim's sudden realization, "I can't!" and then their communion, are almost cinematic... damn onions.
- In Dragonsdawn, the final scene between Sallah Telgar and Tarvi Andiyar, especially her final words.
- And then the bonfire scene afterward (doubles as heartwarming)
- The end of All the Weyrs of Pern: All of Pern is finally safe from Thread... and while everyone is celebrating, Masterharper Robinton dies after reading a message from a now-terminated AIVAS. And his little bronze fire lizard curls up on his chest and dies with him, like a dragon with his rider... all have fulfilled their duties to Hold, Hall and Weyr..
Tear Jerker / Dragonriders of Pern