Back to Recap Page
Season 3, Episode 13
Join Or Die
- The key to surviving on the ground and on the Ark is to keep fighting at all costs against all odds. The minute you give up, you're dead.—Pike
In Polis, Kane and Pike enter Polis where the majority of grounders have been chipped. Kane sees a man being crucified for refusing to take the key. Ontari immediately comes forward and gives the key to the grounder guards. Jaha tries to convince them both to take the key but they refuse. Pike then grabs Ontari and holds a knife to her neck but it taken away and locked up. Kane also refuses to take the key and is taken away, but Abby says to leave it to her.
In a flashback to The Ark, Jaha is telling Pike that he needs to teach a crash course survival course. Jaha refuses to tell him why they are sending the kids to the ground. Jaha sends Pike into the room of delinquents and welcomes them to 'Earth Skills'.
Clarke, Bellamy, Octavia and Jasper are searching for Luna with Lincoln's diary. Their path is blocked but they hear running water and head towards it. They head to the point where Lincoln said the Boat People where said to be but they only find piles of rocks. Octavia screams in frustration.
In a flashback, Pike it teaching the delinquents. He shows them how to make fire but the majority are uninterested in what he has to say. Pike asks Octavia what the key to surviving on earth is and she nervously replies, not dying. The others laugh and Pike is annoyed and says they have a lot to learn. Pike tells them they have to keep fighting.
In Polis, both Pike and Murphy are chained up in the same room as many other grounders that refused the key, including Indra. She is unchained and tells Pike that she will give him 300 cuts to make up for the lives he took. She begins to cut Pike causing him to wince in pain but not cry out.
Octavia starts a fire and they agree that they will split up and look for Luna the next day. Octavia is still furious at Bellamy and believes he is responsible for Lincoln's death. Bellamy gets annoyed that she won't forgive him and storms off. Jasper throws some plant leaves into the fire and it burns green. Octavia looks in Lincoln's diary and sees the same kind of leaf and realises that the fire is a messenger fire. They throw more of the leaves into the fire and it burns brightly green.
Back in Polis, Kane has been locked in a room and Abby enters, pretending that she hasn't taken the chip. She pretends to be afraid and asks Kane where Clarke is as she knows that A.L.I.E. wants something from Clarke. Kane won't tell her and Abby tries harder by kissing him passionately. Abby pushes him onto the bed but by that time Kane has realised that she is chipped. Guards come in and take Kane away as he stares in horror. Jaha nails Kane to a cross and he screams in pain whilst the others watch unsympathetically.
Clarke walks after Bellamy and says that Lincoln's death wasn't his fault. Bellamy reveals that he was mad at Clarke for leaving and wonders if Octavia will be able to forgive him. Clarke says she will eventually but he first needs to forgive himself. They hug and then suddenly people start to rise up out of the water. They tie up Clarke and Bellamy and take them over to Octavia and Jasper. Octavia requests safe passage and says it is because of Lincoln. A boat person hands them all little vials which Octavia and Jasper drink. Both of them fall to the ground and Clarke and Bellamy eventually give in and drink it.
In a flashback, the delinquents are not paying attention to Pike's class. Pike asks Jaha if he can tell them or go down with them but Jaha won't allow, threatening to float Pike if he tells. In the class, Pike asks Murphy to assist him. He then punches Murphy and continues to punch him again despite cries from the class. Pike says that nobody is coming to help them as he assaults Murphy. Pike is finally dragged off of Murphy by the other delinquents and Kane is alerted by the noise. He believes that the children attacked Pike and tells them off and asks what is going on. Pike tells him it is graduation and everybody has passed.
In Polis, Indra is still cutting Pike whilst he screams. Murphy finally stops Indra saying that Pike isn't the real enemy. Murphy says that Indra will avenge her people but not today. Indra says that they must kill Jaha as he is the leader but Murphy reveals that A.L.I.E. is the real enemy.
In a flashback, the delinquents are being put into the dropship. Clarke is on a stretcher as she has been tranquilised and Abby questions if what they are doing is right. Abby kisses her forehead and coldy says to Kane that he got his extra year. The delinquents are shown falling to Earth in footage from the Pilot. Back in Polis, Kane is on a cross. Jaha gives him the key but Kane won't take it. However Jaha then holds a gun to Abby's head which finally convinces Kane to take the chip. Kane looks up as his pain is relieves by the chip.
Clarke and the others awake in a metal box. Luna enters and Clarke shows her the flame. She says that Luna is her last hope and asks her to take the chip but Luna says no. They follow Luna out and they are revealed to be on an oil rig in the middle of the ocean.
- Call-Back: A slower version of Radioactive is playing when the 100 are being sent to the ground, which calls back to the song being played in the Pilot.
- Character Development: Some of Pike's time on the Ark is shown in flashbacks where it is revealed that he was tasked to teach the 100 Earth Skills to prepare them before they were sent to the ground.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Kane gets crucified by Alie in order to force him to take the chip. Pike is tortured by Indra in their cell as revenge for his massacre of the Grounder army sent to protect Arkadia.
- Cruel to Be Kind: Pike beats up Murphy in front of the others to get them to fight back against him to better prepare them to survive on the ground.
- A Day in the Limelight: Pike and his story on the Ark and his interaction with Indra and Murphy in the cell in Polis.
- Enemy Mine:Invoked Murphy convinces Indra to spare Pike's life by pointing out that they'll need him to fight ALIE.
- Easily Forgiven: Subverted;Octavia reveals that she still hasn't forgiven Bellamy.
- Establishing Character Moment: Luna establishes that she has taken a vow against killing and she says no to taking the Flame and becoming Commander.Clarke: "Luna, you're the last of your kind. The last Natblida.Luna: "So, Lexa's dead as well."Clarke: "Her spirit has chosen you to become the next Commander. Titus entrusted me with the flame to give to you.Luna: "Then he should have told you that I left my Conclave swearing to never kill again."
- Fantastic Racism: When he is brought into Polis, Pike comments that this is what he expected when he sees all the crucified bodies on the sides of the city.
- Flashback: The two weeks before the 100 are sent to earth are shown from Pike's point of view.
- Pacifist: Luna reveals herself to be one when she states that she has taken a vow against killing.