Originally aired November 12, 2003
Written by Holly Harold
Directed by David Jackson
Lana's lab partner Seth Nelson gains the ability to manipulate magnetism, and he uses his new powers to brainwash Lana into dating him. Lex finds out that Chloe has been investigating his father.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Blackmail: Chloe admits to Lex in the final act that she was looking for dirt on Lionel in order to get free from his control.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Lana, thanks to Seth's magnetism powers.
- Death by Irony: Clark defeats Seth using an electric cable to reverse the electromagnetic field and pull Seth towards a metal cart. He doesn't die, but it's put into a coma.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Clark is very jealous of Lana's relationship with Seth, even before he learns he's controlling her.
- Childhood Friends: Chloe reveals to Lex that Lionel and Morgan Edge were this.
- Lesser of Two Evils: Chloe calls Lex this when she confronts him about a police investigator taking her computer.
- Magnetism Manipulation: Seth gains the power to control magnetism.
- Stalker with a Crush: Lana accuses Clark of this when he interrupts her and Seth on their date.
- Villain of the Week: Seth Nelson, a boy who can control magnetism.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Lana gripes at Clark for telling Seth to stay away from her.