Mateo starts kindergarten as Jane and Rafael reevaluate their relationship. Xiomara and Rogelio attempt to talk through their issues. Petra hires a lawyer, Jane Ramos, to defend her through the investigation of Anezka's death.
Tropes in this episode:
- Freudian Excuse: Exaggerated with Rogelio, who realizes that a lot of his issues come from Liliana's parenting and thus talks at length about his childhood traumas.
- Has Two Mommies: Mateo's new friend from kindergarten, Elijah.
- Test Kiss: Jane would like to kiss Rafael again to see if they're really compatible.
- Portmanteau Couple Name: Alba refers to Jane and Rafael as "Jafael."
- Shipper on Deck: Jane and Alba discuss why Alba ships Jane and Rafael, which effectively boils down to the fact that Alba likes the idea that it's "fated".
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: Xiomara talks about how her father Mateo wasn't home much. He was working multiple jobs to support their family. It's why Rogelio decides to take a year off in order to look after his daughter.