Season 2, Episode 14
Directed by Edward Ornelas
Keep Your Friends CloseSomeone hacking into air traffic control at LaGuardia Airport nearly causes a crash between two planes. Bull assists in the FBI's case against security analyst Malcolm Swift, but Cable learns that the accused is the husband of her (pregnant) old college roommate, and risks everything to prove his innocence.
- Defector from Commie Land: Malcolm's family originated from the Soviet Union, and their poor treatment from the CIA is speculated as a motive for the hack when initially looking into the case.
- Evil Former Friend: Sarah, Cable's pregnant friend, uses their connection and her vulnerability to trick Cable into using a flash drive with a virus that deletes everything incriminating Malcolm.
- Fun with Acronyms: Cable notices the name "JANET" while comparing Malcolm's digital signature, provided in a flash drive by Sarah, with the hacker's. It stands for "Joint Air Network Employee Transportation", and is a secret, discreet method of transporting military personnel across the country.
- Infraction Distraction: The hack turns out to have been a distraction while downloading information on a secret government project worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Hoist by Their Own Petard: The data on the flash drive, which carried the virus meant to free Malcolm, also revealed Malcolm's true crime.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In trying to prove Malcolm's innocence for her desperate, pregnant friend, Cable unwittingly unleashes a virus on a server that deletes all vital information, committing the crime of evidence tampering, and Bull ultimately fires her for it.