Basic Trope: When a character grabs towards another character who is far away and in danger, and thinking that this will somehow help the latter.
- Straight: Super Alice sees that her sidekick, Super Bob, is about to fall off a cliff and reaches towards him, in the hopes of saving him, even though she is several feet away.
- Exaggerated: Super Alice sees that Super Bob is about to trip over a small rock and reaches towards him, screaming and yelling that she'll miss him when he's dead, even though she is less than 2 inches away from him.
- Downplayed: ???
- Justified: Super Alice doesn't want to lose her Sidekick.
- Inverted: Super Alice is about to fall off a cliff and Super Bob reaches out for her.
- Subverted: Super Alice reaches out for Super Bob and manages to save him from his impending death.
- Double Subverted: Until her hand slips and Super Bob falls to his death.
- Parodied: Super Alice reaches out for Super Bob when little trivial things happen, such as when he drops his fork on the ground or he doesn't wash his hands when he leaves the bathroom.
- Zig Zagged: Super Alice reaches out for Super Bob and almost grabs him, but decides that he can take care of himself and doesn't need her help. She turns and walks away, pausing several times, since she can't make up her mind whether or not to try and save him or not.
- Averted: Super Alice doesn't reach for Super Bob at all.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: "Super Alice does know that reaching for Super Bob from a mile away won't help him, right?"
- Conversed: "The fans have been telling us that Super Alice doesn't seem to care very much about her sidekick. Let's have her reach for him as he gets kidnapped. Maybe this will change their minds!"
Back to Futile Hand Reach