Basic Trope: An ongoing storyline is abruptly abandoned.
- Straight: In The Alice and Bob Show, Kevin starts trying to find his birth father, who he never knew. Kevin is shown working on the project for some episodes, until he just suddenly stops doing so from one episode to the next, without any explanation or even any acknowledgement that he has stopped said work at all. The plotline is never resolved, and isn't even mentioned again.
- Exaggerated: The entire premise of the show was originally about Kevin trying to find his absent father, but by season two the show became a comedy about Alice, Bob, and Kevin running a pizza restaurant together.
- Downplayed: Kevin mentions that he'd like to find his birth father one day. The subject isn't brought up again.
- Justified: All the characters in "The Alice and Bob Show" have very busy, crazy lives, so it's not a wonder that they forget some of their goals every now and then.
- Inverted: A Time Skip dumps the audience into the middle of an obviously important and complex set of events, but gives no clue as to how the heroes arrived there or why it all matters so much.
- Subverted: In The Alice and Bob Show, Kevin starts trying to find his birth father, who he never knew. We don't hear much about this for three seasons, but then the results of his search turn out to be the centerpiece of season 4.
- Double Subverted: We hear Kevin briefly mention his ongoing search once or twice a season. Then he finds his father! Then we never hear anything else about it or meet the man.
- Parodied: Kevin has a very short attention span and forgot about his search at the first distraction he found. Pretty much every major plotline Kevin is involved in tends to end that way.
- Zig Zagged: The plotline of Kevin's search is picked up and dropped for long periods multiple times throughout the series.
- Averted: The storyline with Kevin finding his biological father is resolved.
- The plotline was deemed to be boring by fans and critics.
- The Alice and Bob Show has Loads and Loads of Characters, with many different plotlines, so it's easy to lose track of them.
- The actor who played Kevin couldn't return to the show for whatever reason, whether that be a fall-out with the producers, scheduling conflicts with another show, or illness. Therefore, the storyline couldn't be completed.
- The writers didn't have any inspiration to finish the storyline.
- Lampshaded: "Wait, wasn't Kevin all about finding his father? Is he still searching or did he give up or what?"
- Invoked: Kevin would like to find his birth father, but he doesn't treat it as a priority over his friends and work, which is what the show revolves around.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Both Alice and Bob drag Kevin into travelling out of state to find his father, and they don't plan to return until they find him.
- Discussed:Kevin: Well, looks like all's well that ends well.
Alice: But what about your father?
- Conversed: "The Kevin actor had a row with the director and left the show. I guess we'll never find out that thing about his father."
- Played For Laughs: Kevin is asked what happened to his father. He says, "It's a long story. I don't wanna talk about it. Let's just say I'll never eat avocados again."
- Intended Audience Reaction: Kevin's father appears in the finale, and berates Kevin for forgetting about him.
Back to Aborted Arc