The story starts off years after the cartoon ended. The protagonist is a young music journalist, Katie McCall, who has been asked to interview former Misfits member Mary "Storm" Phillips (formerly known as "Stormer"). Storm has become a hit indie rockstar since her Misfits days. Katie has been asked to interview her for the New Millennium issue of her magazine. A lot has changed in the music scene since the 1990s.
Though a short fic of less than 4000 words, Rock Star adds a layer of realism to the music scene of Jem as it delves into the past history of the last decade.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Adaptation Dye-Job: By the start of the fic, Stormer has ditched her blue hair for a natural black. Jem implies that her hair is blue.
- Flash Forward Fic: Rock Stars takes place roughly 10 years after Jem finished.
- Memetic Mutation: Pizzazz's comment on the Jem scandal included the line "What mattered was the music". That line became memetic.
- Named by the Adaptation: Leela is given a full name of "Leela Robinson".
- There Should Be a Law: Jerrica being exposed as Jem didn't just lead to social problems. It also led to legal ones too. The IRS got involved because they thought that the band was committing fraud. Most of the charges were dropped. Later on Social Services had threatened to take all the Starlight Girls away, which led to a legal battle. It ended with Jerrica stepping down as the head of Starlight House.
- Secret Relationship: Stormer is dating Kimber, but they're not open to the press about their relationship.
- 20 Minutes into the Past: The story was published in 2008 but takes place in 1999.