The Sunsetverse is a shared fanfiction universe created by user Whiteeyes on Fimfiction.Net in the same vein as Rainbowdoubledash's Lunaverse or GrassAndCloud2's Cadanceverse. It is an alternate reality for the series My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
In this reality, Sunset Shimmer did not leave Princess Celestia's tutelage and is her student alongside Twilight Sparkle. Sunset winds up being the new bearer of the Element of Magic, rechristened Friendship, while Twilight received Loyalty. Their friends Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Sweetie Drops, and Masquerade also became element bearers.
This universe also features an alternate series of magic systems from those shown in series, as well as more pronounced tribal morphism with the ponies.
Current fics in the series include:
The Twin Students of the Sun: The original story. Twilight and Sunset team up to stop Nightmare Moon from taking over Equestria with the power of the Elements of Harmony.
Welcome to Ponyville!: Sunset and Twilight have finally moved to Ponyville and are hanging out with their friends, when those dumb gala tickets show up and...why is everypony staring at them?
The Sunsetverse contains examples of:
- Alternate Universe: It's basically the main idea behind the series. Magic and tribal spear ancestors and traits are the main difference between this reality and the main continuity.
- For Want of a Nail: The divergence from canon seems to come from Celestia managing to convince Sunset to back down during their confrontation years before Twilight came into the picture.
- Disappeared Dad: Applejack's father died sometime before the series started.
- It's the Journey That Counts: How Rainbow was able to realize she was stuck in the Lotus-Eater Machine. Immediately being granted entry into the Wonderbolts doesn't mean shit compared to having an epic adventure getting in.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: One of Sunset's traits, as she is trying her hardest to reform.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: One of Nightmare Moon's plans was to trap the ponies in a dream where all their wishes came true.
- Magic A Is Magic A: Spells, potions, and then like have a preset and predetermined outcome. However magnitude is variable.
- Magic Eye: Masquerade and the other twinkle eyed ponies have these. They are used to replaced damaged, faulty, or nonfunctional eyes with gemstones that let them see. A more mundane utility version of this trope, though it is noted that twinkle eyed ponies are immune to illusions not specifically crafted to affect them.
- Mundane Utility: Most magic in Equestria qualifies as this.
- O.C. Stand-in/ Spared by the Adaptation: Applejack's mother is alive and well.
- Title Drop: The first story's title is an epithet for Twilight and Sunset, applied by a certain pair of oracles, who admit it's not accurate, but they didn't write the prophecy.
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: Twilight feels this way due to her immense amount of raw magical talent and power, and lets Nightmare Moon's constructs know what she thinks of their offer of more power.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Something the group had to convince Sunset of when she tried to commit suicide by monster out of guilt.