Their trademarks include a free-wheeling style liberally laced with pop-culture references, an optimistic approach to their plots and worlds, a tremendous amount of imagination applied to dovetailing the various elements of their story universes, and — perhaps most importantly — the shameless use of self-insert characters (although this last is by no means a constant throughout all their fics).
Their website (and thus all their work) can be found here.
Over the past two decades, the membership of EPU has varied as the demands of college, work, and real life have swelled and ebbed for the various members. The full list of current and past members, taken directly from the EPU website, is as follows:
- Derek Bacon (deceased) (UF)(NXE)
- Janice "Ardaniel" Barlow (UF)
- Chad "Wedge" Collier (UF)
- Anne "Juniper" Cross (UF)
- Geoff "Mephron" Depew (UF)
- Benjamin D. "Gryphon" Hutchins (UF)(GW)(TIA)(WL)(HL)
- Adam "Pfloyd" Johnson (retired) (UF)
- Rob "ReRob" Mandeville (retired) (UF)
- Larry "R-Type" Mann (UF) (WL)
- Chris "Mako"/'Robotech_Master' Meadows (retired, deceased) (UF)
- MegaZone (UF)(GW)(TIA)(WL)(HL)
- Dave Menard (missing in action) (Staff artist)
- Phil Moyer (Staff artist)
- Pearson "Doc" Mui (retired)
- Kris "Redneck" Overstreet (retired) (UF)
- Rich "Rat" Pieri (retired) (GW)
- James "Mechaman" Rinehart (retired)
- Martin "PCHammer" Rose (UF)
- John "Truss" Trussell (UF)(NXE)
The abbreviations in parentheses after each name indicate in which projects a particular contributor has an avatar character. It is safe to assume that if the contributor has an avatar, he has also contributed to the development or writing of that setting; even if no avatar is listed, he has probably contributed to Undocumented Features in some way. The only exception to this coding is the late Derek Bacon, who contributed only to the early development of the UF setting (reputedly producing a large document of notes which the current writing team apparently still consults). His avatars in both UF and Neon Exodus Evangelion are posthumous memorials to his influence on the lives and writing of the core members of EPU.
Various members of the EPU collective also have solo efforts to their names, such as Gryphon's Film Noir-styled In Nomine story series .45 Caliber Angel. Many of these can be found at or linked off the EPU website.