Misused (new crowner 8/9/13): Fail O Suckyname get usage counts
Deadlock Clock: 13th Jul 2013 11:59:00 PM
edited 10th Jul '13 10:25:30 AM by AnotherDuck
edited 24th Jul '13 11:36:33 PM by XFllo
- (yeas:12 nays:0) - Rename to make it clear that it's a name chosen by the character. New name will be decided by another crowner. (Note: Fail O'Suckyname is a catchy trope name and could be re-cycled; Unfortunate Name could be using it.)
- (yeas:8 nays:1) - Improve description. It's written as Example As Thesis and focuses on superheroes, while the trope's much broader in fiction.
- (yeas:6 nays:3) - Unfortunate Name should be for names viewed unfortunate or embarrassing in-universe.
Code names or nicknames chosen by the characters themselves aren't always as awesome or cool as they originally thought. Sometimes the names are ridiculed by other characters. That's when you run into this trope: Names mocked by other characters. Many are the reasons for a character to have such a malodorous moniker: Maybe it was a character originally from The Golden Age of Comic Books, when certain slang terms had different meanings. Maybe it's a fairly standard Something Person naming convention and the powers don't exactly make for an intimidating name. Whatever the name is, it just doesn't inspire the respect wanted. A specific type of Unfortunate Name. See also The Adjectival Superhero, Have a Gay Old Time, Giver of Lame Names. Please note that this trope is only about embarrassing names that the character specifically chooses. If it's a name the person was born with, see Unfortunate Names.
edited 19th Aug '13 6:44:00 AM by AnotherDuck
- Mocked Moniker: The name itself is ridiculed In-Universe and the name is implied to be/is bad. Care to find the difference between this and Embarrassing Nickname?
- Atrocious Alias: The name is bad and the character is ridiculed for it.
- Suckyname Man (I would prefer Captain Suckyname for overall neutrality): The name is flat-out bad and the character wears it without remorse. (I was thinking of Captain Space, Defender of Earth! having a laughably bad name.)
edited 10th Sep '13 7:19:51 PM by totlmstr
Alternative Titles: Fail O Suckynamerunoff
2nd Jan '14 7:43:31 AM