Due to some problems we're having, signups are closed
until we determine it's time to re-open them. Apologies for the inconvenience.
You can express intrest in this thread to get a PM notification when signups reopen, as explained here.
The WAAPT Signup Thread!
OK. You may or may not have heard of the RP We Are All Pokémon Trainers
before, said knowledge or lack thereof being the likely reason you're here. This is where you get a more detailed explanation.
So, what the heck is a Waahpt anyway?
We Are All Pokemon Trainers
, or WAAPT for short, began in February 2011 as a forum game, with very loose continuity. Since then, the number of players has grown to a couple dozen (though not necessarily that many at once!), and the setting has evolved into a unique Pokemon fanverse of its own. The RP's world is primarily based on the main series Pokemon games, but spinoff games, the anime, the TCG, and the mangas have all had an influence on it, as well as stuff we made up ourselves. In addition, we like making references to media other than Pokemon as well! Typical plots involve either exploring and socializing, or facing off against some menacing threat.
Due to evolving from a forum game, this RP has a few differences from most. The main one is that there's no single GM - different plots and NPCs are run by different people, and everyone works together to plan stuff.
Ooh, sounds neat. What does it take to be a WAAPTer?
You have to be the very best, like no one ever was
Not TOO much. Just make sure your grammar isn't painful on the eyes, you aren't unpleasant to be around, (whether due to godmodding, munchkining, nitpicking, etc.) and you don't try too
hard to make your characters the most awesome things ever. It's far from a writing competition, but we do have standards.
tl;dr in descending order of importantness: don't be a dick, don't flaunt the rules, and don't go too
far with the "crazy and freeform" aspect of the RP. We've banned people for these things and would rather not do so again.
(Also, while this is less of a rule and more of a general trend... We have a slight preference for script format. I know, I know, it's less "professional", and you can go with prose if you desire, but you'll likely fit in better with script and have an easier time keeping up, plus it's easier on the eyes. Just don't get too
terse on detail, though!)
Also also, we're very
much a LGBTQ+-friendly RP, so if you're on the spectrum feel free to hop aboard!
Okay, I want in on this. How do I join?
Be warned that it is
possible for you to not
be accepted. This is nothing personal, we just want to make sure whether or not you'll fit in in our community.
Also please be aware that this RP operates in somewhat real-time, and is often fast paced. And keep in mind that Pokemon are nearly as important as humans as characters, so be prepared to actually write for them.
First, read this.
It contains very
important rules, guidelines, and advice, as well as info you NEED for your signup to be accepted. We will bar you from posting until said info is included in your signup.
Next, post your Trainer's bio. This includes...
- Your Trainer's name: You can use your troper handle as a basis or something completely different. Just not unpronounceable strings of characters. Names like Tagg, Umbramatic, and Amaterasu Crescendo are fine, Kwygibothulukarzan is not.
- Age: A general range works instead of something specific, though not too unspecific.
- Gender: Male or female.
- Ethnicity: So you're probably wondering what we mean by that. Basically, it means "If your character existed in the real world, what real-world ethnicity would they likely identify as?" Any analogue of a RL ethnicity is acceptable, as long as they don't play into any stereotypes. If you feel uncomfortable giving your character a defined ethnicity you are free to say that they're ambiguous, and you're also free to give them a defined ethnicity at any later time.
- Brief description of his/her appearance: Note the brief. This should be detailed, but not insanely so. You can use a picture of some sort as a visual aide if you like, but the description comes before and is required.
- Any ties to an organization(i.e Pokemon Rangers, regional evil team, International Police, etc): Is your Trainer a regretful ex-member of an evil team? A devotee of some Legendary religion? Or just a Joe Shmoe who somehow got sucked into the craziness? Tell us here! Just don't surprise us with something outlandish down the line without discussion. (Also, being a PEFE member needs to be earned in-RP unless you're an intern or something.)
- Region of origin: What it says on the tin. Where's your Trainer's hometown? Canon regions (including spinoff ones) are best, ambiguity is acceptable, and non-canon areas (at least those that don't already exist in-RP) will require discussion. Note that locations are closest to the anime scale-wise, and so it's possible to be from a nameless suburb of a big city like Celadon or Castelia, so long as it's in a canon region.
- Backstory: What's your Trainer's life been like? What makes him or her tick? Again, detailed but not overly so... We don't want a Freudian analysis. Again, we will be taking this at face value, so please don't surprise us with twists down the line without discussing with someone. You can eventually change your character in a meaningful / fundamental manner with input from the other players once you've gotten more established. Please also see this list of in-RP events your character would likely be aware of.
If you need help with any of these, read this.
And you should probably read this
Not to mention the syntax guide
for formatting everything correctly, both in your signup and in the RP.
Also, please include your timezone. It helps us better coordinate posts and when we can have someone interacting with you in-RP.
Next comes the mons. A team of one to six, no more, no less, is best for keeping things under control at first. Most characters in the RP can understand and speak to their Pokemon, but kinda like being a PEFE member this has to be earned, unless a justification is discussed. (Monese is usually in brackets like <this,> though be warned some players don't use those) . Even more so for not having mons at all - this is an RP about Pokemon Trainers, after all.
Mon profiles go like this:
- Species: Anything goes, so long as it isn't Legendary or a fakemon.
- Nickname: Very much optional, (the games don't judge you for no nicknames, neither do we) though they can help distinguish your Salamence or Zoroark or Eevee or whatever from the others.
- Gender: Male, female, or none.
- Ability: Any ability legal for the species in the games works here.
- Personality/Bio: What's your Pokemon like? Nice guy? Jerk? Shy? And why? They can be simple/flat, as long as there's something!
Also, indicating which mon is your starter is a requirement.
And there's no four-move limit, so listing moves isn't necessary unless you want to establish egg moves.
If you have any questions about your characters or how the RP works or just need advice, feel free to PM me, Umbramatic! If you're willing to listen I'll be glad to tell you what works, what doesn't and generally how things roll.
Finally... Once the signup is done, we'll give you a prompt for an RPing sample, usually a one-on-one battle, to see how you roll and help you fix glaring issues where needed. (If you want some help with this, read this.
) If you make it through that, we can officially welcome you aboard!
However, remember that we reserve the right to accept or reject players, and give a reason as to why for the latter.
Anything else I need to know?
Well... Here's our Discussion thread
and a wiki
with a handy-dandy FAQ
We also have chatrooms here
, the one used mainly for RP discussion being the main RP chat
. (Try these
if that doesn't work, you just need a nickname.) We also also have a second forum
Also, while signups are never permanently closed, some story arcs are off-limits to new people, eg. Holon or the Conquest arc.
So... If you do decide to try and join, we'll be glad to help you get started. We love new faces!
(Please note: This thread is currently subject to ROLLING UPDATES to iron out any issues. As such, things may change a bit from time to time while we work stuff out. Thank you for understanding.)
edited 14th Jan '15 2:17:20 PM by Umbramatic