We Are All Pokemon Trainers Signup Thread:
IMPORTANT NOTICESignups are tentatively more open! See here. Current Queue: etran12 ThisGuy481
The WAAPT Signup Thread!OK. You may or may not have heard of the RP We Are All Pokémon Trainers before, said knowledge or lack thereof being the likely reason you're here. This is where you get a more detailed explanation.
So, what the heck is a Waahpt anyway?We Are All Pokemon Trainers, or WAAPT for short, began in February 2011 as a forum game, with very loose continuity. Since then, the number of players has grown to a couple dozen (though not necessarily that many at once!), and the setting has evolved into a unique Pokemon fanverse of its own. The RP's world is primarily based on the main series Pokemon games, but spinoff games, the anime, the TCG, and the mangas have all had an influence on it, as well as stuff we made up ourselves. In addition, we like making references to media other than Pokemon as well! Typical plots involve either exploring and socializing, or facing off against some menacing threat. Due to evolving from a forum game, this RP has a few differences from most. The main one is that there's no single GM - different plots and NPCs are run by different people, and everyone works together to plan stuff. For more info on the RP, its history, and how it works please see this page.
Ooh, sounds neat. What does it take to be a WAAPTer?
Okay, I want in on this. How do I join?Well... Be warned that it is possible for you to not be accepted. This is nothing personal, we just want to make sure whether or not you'll fit in in our community. Also please be aware that this RP operates in somewhat real-time, and is often fast paced. And keep in mind that Pokemon are nearly as important as humans as characters, so be prepared to actually write for them. First, read the following two essays: Every's Essay: Essentially the basic meta rules of the RP, and very important. The Tone Essay Basically a PSA about what kind of RP this is and what kind of content we're aiming for. Also very important. Both essays contain important tidbits of info you need in your signup sheet, so read them very carefully. It may seem like a lot to read, but trust us, it's worth it to get you properly acclimated! Next, post your Trainer's bio. This includes...
- Your Trainer's name: You can use your troper handle as a basis or something completely different. Just not unpronounceable strings of characters. Names like Tagg, Umbramatic, and Amaterasu Crescendo are fine, Kwygibothulukarzan is not.
- Age: A general range works instead of something specific, though not too unspecific.
- Gender: male/female (specifying cis or trans is completely optional and specifying/revealing which later on can be discussed as long as it's not transphobic), genderfluid,genderqueer, agender, etc. ("Robot" is not an acceptable answer here. It's a long story.)
- Ethnicity: So you're probably wondering what we mean by that. Basically, it means "If your character existed in the real world, what real-world ethnicity would they likely identify as?" Any analogue of a RL ethnicity is acceptable, as long as they don't play into any stereotypes. If you feel uncomfortable giving your character a defined ethnicity you are free to say that they're ambiguous, and you're also free to give them a defined ethnicity at any later time.
- Brief description of his/her appearance: Note the brief. This should be detailed, but not insanely so. You can use a picture of some sort as a visual aide if you like, but the description comes before and is required.
- Any ties to an organization(i.e Pokemon Rangers, regional evil team, International Police, etc): Is your Trainer a regretful ex-member of an evil team? A devotee of some Legendary religion? Or just a Joe Shmoe who somehow got sucked into the craziness? Tell us here! Just don't surprise us with something outlandish down the line without discussion. (Also, being a PEFE member needs to be earned in-RP unless you're an intern or something.)
- Region of origin: What it says on the tin. Where's your Trainer's hometown? Canon regions (including spinoff ones) are best, ambiguity is acceptable, and non-canon areas (at least those that don't already exist in-RP) will require discussion. Note that locations are closest to the anime scale-wise, and so it's possible to be from a nameless suburb of a big city like Celadon or Castelia, so long as it's in a canon region.
- Backstory: What's your Trainer's life been like? What makes him or her tick? Again, detailed but not overly so... We don't want a Freudian analysis. Again, we will be taking this at face value, so please don't surprise us with twists down the line without discussing with someone. You can eventually change your character in a meaningful / fundamental manner with input from the other players once you've gotten more established. Please also see this list of in-RP events your character would likely be aware of. This can also help.
- Species: Anything goes, so long as it isn't Legendary or a fakemon.
- Nickname: Very much optional, (the games don't judge you for no nicknames, neither do we) though they can help distinguish your Salamence or Zoroark or Eevee or whatever from the others.
- Gender: Male, female, or none. (Canonically genderless mons can "lean" male or female in voice and personality to whatever degree you desire, and canonically gendered mons can also be transgender, genderfluid, genderqueer, agender, etc. and discover or reveal they're such as long as, once again, you aren't transphobic about it.)
- Ability: Any ability legal for the species in the games works here.
- Personality/Bio: What's your Pokemon like? Nice guy? Jerk? Shy? And why? They can be simple/flat, as long as there's something!
Cool! Just one problem... What about that queue at the top of this post? I don't want to wait months to join!Bad news: since the whole reason we have a queue system in the first place was that large influxes of newbies have an unfortunate tendency to cause the RP itself to reach ludicrous speeds pace-wise, the queue's staying a thing for the foreseeable future. Good news: By very virtue of the fact it only affects the RP itself, we've found a way to potentially ease the wait! Thus we bring you...
The WAAPT Early Access Program!Yes, we have an early access program! And unlike most other such programs you don't have to pay an exorbitant fee or sell your soul to Yveltal or anything like that; in fact, you don't have to do anything different at all! Yveltal: <Wait, we aren't going ahead with the souls plan? Dammit.> —flies off in a huff- The premise is simple: From now on, as long as you go through the motions of expressing your interest in joining and being added to the queue, the only major thing you'll be barred from doing in the RP's community before we get to you in said queue is posting in the RP thread itself (As well as canon-to-the-RP threads on our second forum). Almost everything else about the RP's community is free for you to access from the start. Talking it up in the chats? You're good to go. Talking it up in Discussion instead? Feel free. Helping with the wiki? Yes, even that! Heck, feel free to start following the RP thread once you've joined the meta, if you want - It may help you jump in easier once you "properly" join. The point of this is to (hopefully) provide various benefits to all you newbies: You'll get to know the RP and it's community long before you actually join (hopefully increasing your chances of sticking around), have some form of participation and fun before truly joining, toss ideas for your characters around to see what works and what doesn't before even writing an actual signup, and being a much quicker way for you to decide whether this RP and its community are a good fit for you (as opposed to waiting several months, going through the whole signup shebang, and finally joining... only to realize a week in or less it's not your cup of tea). However, we've obviously got to have some rules for this, and here are the baseline ones which will likely be adjusted as necessary:
- As mentioned, no actually participating in the RP until we get to you in the queue. You can read the thread and ask questions and stuff about the RP all you want, but no actual R Ping until you go through the whole shebang of the signup process.
- As also mentioned, we want you guys to work on the wiki, but there's some kinks to work out first. We'll update this when we do; see here for details.
- Early Access newbies probably won't get much say in most big RP decisions, though we're likely to make exceptions depending on circumstances.
- You know that earlier bit of this post saying to follow the rules and not be a jerk and/or idiot lest you risk reprimand or punishment? (If you haven't read that yet, please kindly go back and do so; if that's too much work we'll be blunt and say we don't want you in this RP.) Anyway, That goes DOUBLE for Early Access newbies. Problem players are much harder to handle once they've properly joined, so unfortunately we're gonna have to tougher on you guys. If any early access newbie is deemed problematic, they will receive one warning telling them what they're doing wrong. If this does not lead to enough improvement they will be booted from the Early Access Program, be removed from the queue, and barred from joining the RP until/unless they've improved on their issues and have concrete evidence of such.
Anything else I need to know?Well... As mentioned, here's our Discussion thread and a wiki with a handy-dandy FAQ. We also have chatrooms here, the one used mainly for RP discussion being the main RP chat. (Try these if that doesn't work, you just need a nickname.) We also also have a second forum. Also, while signups are never permanently closed, some story arcs are off-limits to new people, eg. Holon or the Conquest arc. So... If you do decide to try and join, we'll be glad to help you get started. We love new faces! (Please note: This thread is currently subject to ROLLING UPDATES to iron out any issues. As such, things may change a bit from time to time while we work stuff out. Thank you for understanding.)
edited 24th Nov '15 3:29:21 PM by Umbramatic
- Name: Jake Parland
- Age: 15
- Gender: Male
- Appearance: Short, black hair, a yellow body warmer, that is unzipped, revealing a red shirt. Blue denim jeans, and brown steel toed boots.
- Affiliations: No, unless pokedex holder counts.
- Reigon of Origin: Mahogony, Johto
- Backstory: Jake is a normal kid, who lived a normal life, with nothing strange happening to him. When he was fifteen, he finally got a pokemon and dex from Proffesor Oak (incidentally, LEMON DROPS). He chose a Bulbasaur, and set out on his quest to explore the lesser known spots of Kanjoh, starting back at his hometown if Mahogony and the lake of rage.
- Species: Bulbasaur
- Nickname: Kermit
- Ability: Overgrow
- Gender: Male
- Personality: Kermit is quite disobedient, due to not respecting Jake, considering himself better than him. He is also quite rude, due to having a Druddigin in his lineage.
edited 4th Jan '13 5:46:26 PM by MusikMaestro
edited 4th Jan '13 6:21:20 PM by MusikMaestro
- Code Phrase: "Lemon Drops"
- Trainer Name: Jack Jackson, Jr.
- Age: 25
- Gender: Male
- Appearance: Six foot man with short hair, a perpetual 5 o'clock shadow, and generally an unkempt appearance. Not muscular by any means, but certainly not unfit. Clothing leans towards what would be suitable for the outdoors. Wears a large brimmed fendoraish hat that's seen more than it's fair share of wear and tear over the years, but Jack does his best to fix it and keep it as long as he can.
- Organization: Freelance Photojournalist
- Region of Origin: Viridian City, Kanto
- History: A man with a love for the truth, especially in light of the activities of Team Rocket that those around him had to deal with. While he tried to initially help by becoming a police officer and pokemon ranger, his immensely brief stints with each helped him discover a better means to find what he was looking for: Photojournalism. Since then, he's slowly drifted from his initial focus, instead traveling the world wherever good photos and a good story may call him. Even so, one thing he hasn't lost is his integrity, knowing not to sacrifice the truth in the interest of a 'better story'.
- Species: Abra (Starter Pokemon)
- Nickname: Runt
- Gender: Male
- Ability: Inner Focus
- Personality: Originally thought to suffer from some disorder preventing evolution. Served as a source of angst for Runt. After being adopted by Jack and tough how to be useful and fight even in its basic form, discovered a newfound source of self-confidence and a greater source of energy than one might expect from an Abra. So much so that after it was discovered his inability to evolve was psychological rather than biological, Runt still remains an Abra by choice. Even so, mostly serves as Jack's source of transportation and is saved as a backup combatant. Wears a pair of Cool Goggles. Mostly just for style.
- Egg Move: Skill Swap
- Species: Onix
- Nickname: Groot
- Gender: Male
- Ability: Sturdy
- Personality: Jacks 'big gun' and go-to pokemon in combat. A Gentle Giant at heart, but protective as well and not afraid to throw his weight around if needed. Jack obtained Groot after he and Runt formed a friendship on their own.
- Species: Beedrill
- Nickname: Penny
- Gender: Female
- Ability: Swarm
- Personality: Angry, fight happy Beedrill with rage issues. Jack and her originally met in a Noodle Incident involving an offense Jack committed. Still isn't sure himself what happened, and Penny refuses to share the details he'd need to figure it out to the point where Jack suspects she just didn't like him for some reason. Even after both getting away from her and defeating her in combat, she kept showing up like "a bad penny" (hence the name), at which point Jack caught her just to make sure she was fighting for him instead of against him. Even so, Jack prefers not to use her since she can be unpredictable or get to focused on her opponents during combat, instead usually keeping her in her pokeball where she can cause the least damage. This only serves to compound her typically bad mood.
edited 4th Jan '13 9:23:27 PM by SpaceJawa