YMMV: Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow?
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Superman gives up his powers when he is forced to kill Mr. Mxyzptlk. This is either his noblest act... or his most selfish. See the Analysis page for why.
- Anti-Climax Boss: The story seems to be building towards a major confrontation between Superman and Brainiac, but Brainiac is ultimately defeated by Lana, whose Mercy Kill of Lex robbed Brainiac of a viable host. Instead of a great battle, Brainiac simply breaks down at Supermanís feet.
- Complete Monster: Brainiac. He brainjacks Luthor in the most horrifying way possible, murders most of Superman's remaining friends, and is completely devoid of anything resembling a conscience.
- Harsher in Hindsight: The Prankster and Toyman were re-imagined as psychopaths in the Post-Crisis universe.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Jordan Elliot looks like the Comedian.
- Narm: Batman and Robin attacking Brainiac's energy shield with sticks.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: Lex Luthor, Superman's greatest Arch-Enemy, the greatest criminal mind of our time, is reduced to a meat puppet in his final (Silver Age) appearance. THAT'S how Lex Luthor goes out.