- Award Snub: Entertainment Weekly considers Jimmy Stewart's role as Scottie to be the worst Oscar snub ever. Many tend to agree.
- Awesome Music: Bernard Herrmann's haunting main title, and "Scene D'Amour".
- Hype Backlash: Not everyone thinks this movie deserved to beat Citizen Kane in the 2012 Sight and Sound Best Films poll, or even to outrank all of Hitch's other movies.
- Magnum Opus: Despite the occasional backlash stated above, there are a fair amount of film fans who do consider it to be Hitchcock's best film.
- Narm: The mental breakdown in the middle of the film can come off like a badly done Disney Acid Sequence.
- Values Dissonance: The disturbing scenes where Judy is forced to get the same grey suit that Madeleine wore. It's portrayed as disturbing when he bullies her verbally into doing it (as well as having her hair dyed). But the employees in the boutique and hair salon go along with it without question. These days, Scottie would come across as an abusive boyfriend and they would be more likely to call the police than go along with his demands.