YMMV: Thir13en Ghosts
- Complete Monster: Cyrus Kriticos is a multimillionaire occultist and ghost hunter who desires nothing less than omnipotence and is responsible, in one way or another, for all the deaths in the film. He uses his wealth to construct the Ocularis Infernum (The Eye of Hell), a huge mechanical device originally designed in the 15th century that will give its bearer infinite power. He captures 12 tormented spirits, whom he traps in the basement of his mansion to drain their souls and fuel the engine. He then lures the family of his nephew Arthur Kriticos to the house in the hopes that Arthur will die and become the 13th ghost to complete the ritual, arranging this by kidnapping Arthur's two children and putting them in a death trap so Arthur will sacrifice himself in a futile attempt to save them. When Cyrus's lover Kalina, who initially worked as a spy for him and helped him to manipulate Arthur, balks at killing the children too, Cyrus has her crushed between two glass walls, sneering that she lacks the will to achieve greatness.
- Retroactive Recognition: Mr. Monk Inherits a Haunted House...
- And Shaggy has psychic powers!
- The Listener is the Torn Prince!
- The Woobie: Arthur and his family, especially his poor wife Jean, the Withered Lover. Also, the Dire Mother.
- Also Dennis, his powers make his life a living hell.
- Jerkass Woobie: The Torn Prince and the Pilgrimess, who became jerks after death for obvious reasons and the Angry Princess and the Bound Woman, who were tragic and bitchy victims.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: Even critics who didn't like the film (like Roger Ebert) agreed that the production design for the house and the machinery within it was fantastic.