- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: One of the few good westerns to use the Black Hat White Hat Trope straight.
- Strictly speaking, Shane's hat is gray, appropriate to his moral ambiguity.
- The Hero Dies: As noted on the main page, the question of whether this trope is played straight or subverted remains a topic of debate.
- Memetic Mutation: "Shane! Come back, Shane!"
- One-Scene Wonder: Jack Palance's role as Wilson is both brief enough, and unforgettable enough to qualify as this.
- Tearjerker: "Shane, Come Back!!"