* AdaptationDisplacement: Most people had no idea there was a book.
* AwesomeMusic: The main theme, "The Call Of The Faraway Hills". It goes a ''long'' way to ramping up the feels, especially in the ending.
** Jack Wilson. He's only in a few scenes, and even in ''those'' few scenes he seldom speaks... but is nevertheless remembered as one of the creepiest villains in movie history, with the role being enough to warrant Jack Palance an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
** Stonewall Torrey, thanks to his memorable death scene and for being played by [[SacrificialLion perennial movie victim]] Elisha Cook Jr.
* TheHeroDies: As noted on the main page, the question of whether this trope is played straight or subverted remains a topic of debate.
* MemeticMutation: "Shane! Come back[[BeamMeUpScotty , Shane]]!"
** Mrs. Starrett has her moments, whenever she gets upset over something.
** Joey's acting can also get pretty cringe-worthy at times.
* OneSceneWonder: Jack Palance's role as [[TheDragon Wilson]] is both brief enough, and unforgettable enough to qualify as this.
** ''"Shane...! Come Back!!!"''
** '''''"Bye, Shane!"'''''
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotPolitical: The discussion between Shane and Mrs. Starrett about guns can result in this reaction. Shane's speech about how a gun is a tool is NRA gold--and Marian's insistence that there should be no guns at all can come across more as irrational stubbornness than anything else, especially considering the events of the movie.