YMMV / Evil Dead
Works in this franchise with their own YMMV pages:
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Is Ash insane? Is he dead? Is this All Just a Dream? There is also a tension between the interpenetration of Ash as an Idiot Hero vs someone who is Brilliant, but Lazy. Army of Darkness depicts Ash as having significant leadership and technical skills, but also has him making some pretty serious errors in judgement like forgetting the magic words. While most people assume the Idiot trope, such mistakes could be due to Ash's lazy attitude. Much of this debate hinges on the choice of ending with the original "Rami" leaning toward idiot and the Revised Ending leaning towards Brilliant, but Lazy where Ash returns to his utterly non-demanding S-Mart job despite being capable of so much more. There was an interview with Bruce Campbell where he said that Ash had a lot of formal education (thus the textbooks and engineering supplies in his trunk), but took a job at S-Mart because it was the only place "he felt loved".
- Broken Base: Fans are divided on which film in the original trilogy is the best:
- The first is either seen as one of the greatest horror films or a poorly made film by today's standards, and some don't like the lack of humor (intentionally).
- Evil Dead 2 is well regarded or hated for balancing comedy or horror, unlike the others which relied on one or the other.
- Many either love or hate the more comedic approach of Army of Darkness.
- Crazy Awesome: Ash eventually evolves into this.
- Crosses the Line Twice: If there was a line, then it must have been obscured by Sam Raimi's many footprints.
- "Holy Shit!" Quotient: Through the roof. It is indeed the norm for the series but the remake tried to top all of the previous films.
- Jerkass Woobie: Ash shows these traits in the second and third movies. He increasingly acts more like a jerk, but he's just trying to get out of this nightmare alive.
- Memetic Badass: Ash. Who else?
- Memetic Mutation: Cosplay crossovers with Pokémon are common, due to both having protagonists named Ash. Becomes even funnier in Poker Night 2, where there's also a Brock.
- Narm Charm: Lots. All of it intentional for Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness.
- Nausea Fuel: The first film was one of the goriest movies at the time and the remake managed to be one of the goriest for modern audiences.
- Special Effect Failure: For contemporary viewers with clear prints and by the standards of effects now. People found the gore quite convincing when the films were new. By Army of Darkness, a lot of it's intentional, and that which isn't (Such as the brief bit during the recap which shows the string Ash is hanging from or the sections which you can blatantly tell are greenscreen shots) is happening at a point in the movie which is just too awesome to care about. A few of the effects still hold up really well, though, in particular the severed hand sequence and the trees attacking the cabin.
- Uncanny Valley: Due to the use of Stop Motion, the dancing corpse and Henrietta move very unnaturally.
- Watch It for the Meme: If you haven't seen them already, the only reason you're going to watch these movies is to get some context for all the memes it's spawned.