Characters: Evil Dead
The characters pertaining to the Evil Dead film series.
Ashley J. "Ash" Williams
Portrayed By: Bruce Campbell
Film Appearances: The Evil Dead (1981) / Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn / Army of Darkness / Evil Dead (2013)The main hero of the series.
- Adorkable: Ash has his moments in the first movie.
- He gets the odd few moments in the sequels as well, when he's not being a jerk.
- An Arm and a Leg: Ash amputates his right hand with a chainsaw.
- An Axeto Grind: His third weapon of choice. He uses it to hack Deadite Ed to pieces.
- Axe Crazy: A heroic example.
- Action Survivor: In the first movie.
- Badass Normal: After making his transformation during Evil Dead II, he becomes this with Army Of Darkness being at his most badass.
- Catchphrase: "Groovy!"
- The Chosen One: As revealed in Evil Dead 2, he's destined to battle the evil forces unleashed by the Book of the Dead.
- Deadpan Snarker: Ash finds plenty of opportunities to snark about medieval culture and action-adventure tropes.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Not as Deadite Ash in Evil Dead II, but becomes something like this in Evil Dead: Regeneration.
- Famous Ancestor: According to Poker Night 2, him and Sheila are this to Brock Samson (via time travel, of course). Ash seems pretty pleased once he finds out.Ash: "Welcome to the family!"
- Gender-Blender Name: Lampshaded by Brock in Poker Night 2.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Guest Fighter: Was one of your poker buddies in Telltale Games' Poker Night 2. Unfortunately, not voiced by Bruce.
- Handicapped Badass: A literal example! Lobs his own right hand after being bitten by the head of the Deadite form of his girlfriend.
- Idiot Hero
- Iron Butt Monkey: Combine this with Made of Iron, its a damn wonder to wonder why Ash is still alive from all of the injuries he pertained over the years.
- It's Personal: Let's see, the demon raped his sister, possesed his friends and girlfriend, forcing him to kill them and continued doing so throughout the movies.
- Lantern Jaw of Justice: Being a Bruce Campbell character, he's gotta be this trope. In Poker Night 2, Sam says he envies Ash and Brock's chins, and wishes he had one like theirs. Ash tells him it's not the size of the chin, but what you do with it that counts.
- Large Ham: Naturally. Army Of Darkness and the varied video games have him hammy as he wants to be.
- Let's Get Dangerous / Took a Level in Badass: It can be argued that the minute the minute he gets that chainsaw, Ash goes from hapless goof with the worst weekend ever going for him to the baddest slayer of evil this side of cinema.
- Nice Guy: In the first movie. He Took a Level in Jerkass though.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: To the point of creating a Sawed-Off Shotgun aka his Boomstick.
- Sword and Gun: Well, more preciously chainsaw and Boomstick. He also does use an actual sword in Army Of Darkness.
- The Stinger: He's so awesome, the stinger at the end of the remake just is of him saying "Groovy" and looking at the camera.
- Took a Level in Badass: In the first movie, he's a wimp who by the end of the movie realizes what he has to do to live. By the third movie, he's commanding an entire legion against the army of darkness.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: By the second movie and Army Of Darkness. Fortunately it coincides with Took a Level in Badass.
The "Evil Dead" / The Deadites
Film Appearances: The Evil Dead (1981) / Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn / Army of Darkness / Evil Dead (2013)An evil demonic force of nature, and the Big Bad of the series.
- Animate Inanimate Object: A few spin-offs show the Necronomicon can speak.
- Big Bad
- Demonic Possession: It's Modus Operandi.
- Eldritch Abomination
- Humanoid Abomination: Manifests itself into a humanoid form near the end of the 2013 film.
- Evil Is Hammy: "I'll swallow your soul!"
- Faux Affably Evil: Subverted in a sense, since combining with the above Evil Is Hammy trope and Laughably Evil, its hard to take them seriously. This is plain old averted in the remake though.
- For the Evulz: Apparently it's sole reason for doing anything. In Evil Dead II, Ash is alone for some time by himself being tormented by the Demon, which logically could have killed him at anytime it wanted. Why doesn't it? Because having driven him Axe Crazy and Laughing Mad, Ash has proven far too entertaining and the Demon is having too much fun to want to kill him just yet. It only renews it's attack on him once the others show up at the cabin.
- Hive Mind: Somewhat, each Deadite seems to have it's own personality, even though they're all possessed by the same demon.
- I Have Many Names: Throughout the movies it's called "The Evil" the "Candarian demon", "Rotting Apple Head" and in the 2013 version "The Abomination."
- Knight of Cerebus: In the 2013 version. It is definitely more serious then the demon in the previous ones.
- Our Demons Are Different: For one thing, they seem to possess Elemental Powers and a few other psychic powers.
- Relative Button: It rapes Ash's sister Cheryl, and David's sister Mia.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore:.Their main way of unleashing themselves onto the world.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: One moment they could be looking like a demon from Hell, the next moment they would be looking like the body of their possessed victim.
Portrayed By: Betsy Baker (The Evil Dead), Denise Bixler (Evil Dead II), Bridget Fonda (Army Of Darkness)She ends up being possessed by the demon and Ash ends up having to kill her. Regardless, she continues to appear in the sequels via flashbacks.
- Disposable Love Interest: Subverted in the second movie. She dies in the first ten minutes of the movie and isn't mentioned for a while until Ash is about to kill Annie. he finds her locket and becomes possessed.
- Played straight in the third movie.
- The Other Darrin: She's played by three different actresses in the three movies.
Professor Raymond Knowby
Portrayed By: Bob Dorian (The Evil Dead / Evil Dead (2013), voiceover), John Peaks (Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn, as a spirit)
Film Appearances: The Evil Dead (1981) / Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn / Evil Dead (2013)An archaeologist who found the Book of the Dead. When he took it to his cabin to translate it, he accidentally unleashed its evil spirits.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: His reciting the incantations caused his wife's and Ash's friend's possession and deaths.
Portrayed By: N/A
Game Appearances: ''Poker Night 2"A character exclusive to Ash's appearance in Telltale's Poker Night 2, Wendy is Ash's girlfriend (and later fiancee). She's a kindergarten teacher, and Ash has big plans for their life together. They're gonna settle down, have a nice honeymoon, fix up the Oldsmobile, raise a few kids... except Deadites start showing up whenever Wendy and Ash are together, and Wendy is later revealed to be the human form of the Nocimonorcen, a book of sacred spells and the opposite of the Necronomicon. A transcript of the dialogue from the game with audio clip can be found here.
- Arc Words: My life's an open book.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Saves Ash and Dr. Orpheus from demons by closing a hell-portal, but not before giving Ash a little sugar before she's turned back into the book.
- The Ghost: As the entire game takes place around the poker table, she's never seen, but Ash tells the other players about her every so often.
- Ladykiller in Love: Ash jokes about his former girlfriends a lot, but they all seem to be behind him now that he's met Wendy.
- Shout-Out: Apparently, Wendy and Ash were attacked by an evil doll with a knife once when they were together.
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: Ash proposed to her by slipping a ring into her margarita, serenading her with a mariachi band... and then the Deadites showed up. He finished them off by the time the enchiladas came, though.
open/close all folders
The Evil Dead
Portrayed By: Ellen SandweissAsh's sister. She's the first of the group to fall prey to evil spirits.
- Butt Monkey: She hears the first Join us!. It's just the start of really bad things for her.
- Deadpan Snarker: As a Deadite.
- Killed Off for Real: Not before becoming a Deadite though.
- Rape as Drama: By Trees!!!!
Portrayed By: Hal DelrichAsh's best friend. The designated "leader" of the group, he was responsible for renting the cabin in the woods. He is the last person in the group to become possessed.
- Asshole Victim: Is attacked when he tries abandoning his friends.
- Bad Ass: Subverted. He kills Shelly while Ash is frozen with fear. But then turns into a Dirty Coward.
- Decoy Protagonist: At the start of the movie, he was cooler, stronger and braver than Ash.
- Dirty Coward: Runs away claiming he doesn't care about Ash or his girlfriend.
- Jerk Ass: Leaves Ash and Linda to die in the cabin.
- Killed Off for Real: Twice! Once, succumbs to his wounds and then comes back as a Deadite only to die again after the book is burnt.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Just as the recorder is about to rehearse the words to allow the dead to possess the living, Cheryl turns it off. However, Scotty turns it on again just to mess with her and the words are rehearsed, invoking the deadites.
- Staking the Loved One: Is forced to put down Shelly.
- The Bully: Has shades of these.
Portrayed By: Sarah YorkScotty's girlfriend. The second member of the group to become possessed.
Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn
Portrayed By: Sarah BerryThe daughter of Professor Knowby. She arrives at the cabin hoping to to share her findings about the Book of the Dead with her father, completely unaware of the events that have transpired.
- Badass Adorable
- Brainy Brunette
- Exact Words: One condition of paying Jake to lead them to the cabin is that he has to carry her bags to the cabin. He thought she meant the two small ones in the car, not realizing there were several large ones in the trunk.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Killed Off for Real: Stabbed in the back by Ash's evil hand.
- You Killed My Father: Initially despises Ash and suspects him of having murdered her parents, since he's in their cabin, covered in blood and with a nearby chainsaw. Ones the Deadites begin their attacks however, she quickly realizes the truth is far worse.
Portrayed By: Dan HicksA dim-witted redneck who falls victim to the evil spirits.
- Asshole Victim: After he gets stabbed in the gut.
- Bait and Switch: It appears that he's going to get possessed him when the characters are forced to find Bobby Joe, due to the monster seeming to head toward him. Ash gets possessed instead.
- Jerk Ass
- Say My Name: "BOB-BY JOEEEEEEEE!"
- Too Dumb to Live: Throws the Necronomicon's missing pages into the locked cellar, then forces everyone out of the cabin at gunpoint to search for the missing Bobby Joe.
Portrayed By: Kassie DePaivaJake's girlfriend.
- Asshole Victim
- Butt Monkey
- Jerk Ass
- Too Dumb to Live: She stupidly runs outside and gets herself killed.
Portrayed By: Lou Hancock, Ted Raimi (Possessed)
"I'll swallow your soul!"Professor Knowby's wife. According to his recordings, she became possessed attacked her husband, who was forced to kill her. Her body was buried in the fruit cellar under the cabin — and, unfortunately, doesn't rest easily.
- Dead to Begin With
- Large Ham: "SOMEONE'S IN MY FRUIT CELLAR! SOMEONE WITH A FRESH SOUL!
- One-Winged Angel
Professor Ed Getley
Portrayed By: Richard DomeierAnnie'e research partner.
- Flipping the Bird: Hilariously it does this to Ash.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: It's a crazy little bugger, flipping off Ash, trolling the survivors and later getting caught in a mouse-trap. It also kills Annie in the climax with a knife to her back.
- Troll: It seems to have more fun messing with people than it does actually killing them, and even when it does kill something, it's usually timed after something hopeful seems to happen.
Army Of Darkness
Portrayed By: Embeth DavidtzA naive but good-hearted peasant girl who becomes Ash's lover in the 14th century.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: Shelia's transformation from human to Deadite is marked by a pale, mottled complexion, bloodshot, sunken eyes, and frizzy hair. (Naturally, her radiant beauty returns the instant she goes back to normal.)Evil Sheila: You found me beautiful once.Ash: Honey, you got real ugly.
- Nice Girl
- Rape as Drama: She's transformed into a Deadite after being assaulted by Evil Ash.
Bad / Evil Ash
Portrayed by: Bruce Campbell
- Evil Twin / Evil Counterpart: He retains all Ash's hamminess and snarky attitude, but he's on the evil side.
- Card-Carrying Villain
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Starts off a miniature clone, which then grows into an full-sized, evil yet still funny clone; which after comedically putting himself via stop motion, he turns into a threatening undead warlord
- Humanoid Abomination: Is the evil force having manifested into Ash's Evil Twin.
- The Heavy: Technically the Evil Force incarnate as an undead clone of Ash.
- Knight of Cerebus: Played with, he starts off as a Laughably Evil Evil Clone of Ash until he reassembles himself as a far more threatening undead warlord.
- Laughably Evil: Until he decides to stop mucking around..
Portrayed By: Marcus Gilbert
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He doesn't have much of a sense of humor (especially where Ash is concerned), and is always quick to assume the worst. However, it's clear he cares very much about his people and keeping them safe.
- Large Ham
- Made of Iron: He didn't even flinch when an arrow pierce right through him.
- Expy / Mythology Gag
Portrayed By: Ian Abercrombie
Duke Henry the Red
Portrayed By: Richard GroveLord Arthur's foe. Ash later calls upon him to help battle the Deadites.
- Anti-Villain: Type IV if he is to be considered a villain at all.
- Badass Beard: Colored red like his name.
- The Cavalry: Henry leads his army in a charge against the Deadites when they've overrun Arthur's men.
- Gondor Calls for Aid: Having befriended Henry at the beginning, Ash opine that they should call him in for the final battle.
Evil Dead (2013)
Portrayed By: Shiloh FernandezMia's older brother.
- Action Survivor
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Mia
- Decoy Protagonist: David is the hero for most the film, only to die right before the finale where his sister Mia becomes the Final Girl.
- Dirty Coward: Apparently. We never see this since when the shit hits the fan, he fights back. Possibly because the threats are supernaturally based.
- David never been able to commit to anything and abandoned his sister years ago before the film took place. He got a bit braver during that time
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Kills his Deadite form of his friend and himself just to save his sister.
- Expy: Okay, show off hands; who thought he was going to be a substitute for Ash (which he technically was). He even had the same light blue shirt and his sister gets possesed first.
- Grease Monkey: He's a mechanic.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sacrifices himself to save Mia from the Eric's deadite form.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Abandoned his sister and friends years ago, but genuinely regrets it and does everything he can to help when things go wrong.
- Sacrificial Lion: David is the hero for most the film, only to die right before the finale where his sister Mia becomes the Final Girl.
- Understanding Boyfriend: To Natalie
Portrayed By: Jane Levy
(while possessed) "You're all going to die tonight."
- Action Girl: During the finale.
- An Arm and a Leg: Forcefully tears off her hand after it was trapped under her jeep.
- Badass Adorable: In the climax.
- Break the Cutie: Her big brother left her with her dying mom, who was also suffering from dementia and confusing her for David, which makes her a drug addict. The events of the movie break her even more.
- Buried Alive: David does so to save her from the evil.
- Chainsaw Good: Unitizes this in a truly awesome manner in the finale.
- Composite Character: She has both Cheryl and Ash's characters combined. Like Cheryl, she's the first to get possesed by the demons and get locked in the basement. Unlike Cheryl, she is left as the sole survivor and fights off The Abomination with a chainsaw, just like Ash.
- Damsel in Distress: Possessed by a deadite until David saves her.
- Distaff Counterpart: Effectively becomes this to Ash.
- Drugs Are Bad: She is a drug addict, who is trying to go cold turkey for the second time around. The initial demonic craziness is mistakenly blamed on withdrawal.
- Expy: In the beginning it seemed like she was an Expy for Cheryl from the Original. However she turns out to be the Ash in the finale.
- Evil Is Hammy: Once she is possessed by a Deadite.
- Final Girl: And she's the Sole Survivor to boot.
- Life or Limb Decision: Her hand is pinned underneath a jeep, and the abomination that flipped the jeep is approaching. She can't reach any weapons until she rips her own hand off.
- Tragic Keepsake: Her brother's necklace he made for her.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: She does it twice. The first time is when her cravings are getting to her. The second time is when she is possessed and projectile vomits blood all over Olivia.
- Walking Spoiler: Considering what happens to her is spoiler filled enough, without giving away a couple important plot twists. Even if marketing gave away some spoilers.
Portrayed By: Lou Taylor Pucci
- Butt Monkey: See Made of Iron below. Of course, this is from after reading from the book.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Expy: He is the equivalent of Scotty. Like Scotty, Eric is sardonic and not hesitant of killing his possesed friends if necessary.
- Genre Savvy: Although he gets there waaay too late to be very helpful (see below), Eric is the first one to realize what's happening. He quickly accepts the supernatural nature of the events and studies the Necronomicon to figure out how to stop them. He even tries to burn the Necronomicon at one point, under the logic that destroying the cause of the Demon's arrival might stop it, but the book displays immunity to fire.
- Made of Iron: Endures a helluva lot of punishment for reading the spells from the book.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: It's his fault the plot started in the first place.
- Rasputinian Death: He's stabbed with a mirror shard, then a syringe, then shot several times with a nail gun, beaten with a crowbar, and stabbed in the heart with a straight razor. And it still takes him a little while to finally succumb.
- Too Dumb to Live: Reading from the book despite explicit warnings not to. The book was wrapped in plastic then bound with barbed wire. The pages had several warnings to never read or write anything in the book and the spell that causes all the problems had every letter scribbled out. So Eric went through a lot of trouble to accidentally unleash a being of pure evil.
- Portrayed By: Jessica Lucas
- Expy: She is the equivalent of Shelly.
- The Leader: She's the one who came up with the idea of bringing Mia to the cabin, and the one who comes up with the idea that she doesn't go back no matter what.
- Potty Failure: Olivia pees herself just before getting possessed by the Deadite.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Olivia is sort-of the leader to the group initially. She's the 2nd one possessed and the first one to die.
- Spirited Young Lady: Something of a leader to the group. Olivia is smart and the one who came up with the idea to go to the cabin to help Mia with her drug habit, though some of her methods are intense.
Portrayed By: Elizabeth Blackmore
- Advertised Extra: Despite the film being an ensemble, Natalie doesn't really do anything important.
- An Arm and a Leg: Amputates her arm after it becomes infected with.... something. Unlike the original, it doesn't work.
- Dying as Yourself: Possibly. After being killed as a Deadite, she apparently reverts back to herself before succumbing to her wounds. Though it may have been the Deadite messing with David.
- Expy: She is the equivalent of Linda. Both are the Love Interests and both get infected by an attack of their boyfriends' possesed sisters.
- The Generic Girl: Nice enough, but really not much character to her.
- Girl Next Door
- Life or Limb Decision: Subverted in that losing her limb doesn't end up changing anything. Probably because the infection had also been forced down her throat.
- Nice Girl
Ash vs. Evil Dead