"Awesome is what they say
All his victims feel the pain
Trapped with an Awesome Bomb
You go down and you never come up"
(1965-2007) was an American Professional Wrestler
from Tampa, Florida
known as Mike Awesome
and, in FMW
, The Gladiator.
He started in 1989 in Florida and was a masked Jobber
as The Pro
. He jumped to FMW in 1991 and became a regular there. He made his ECW
debut defeating Randy Starr at ECW Holiday Hell
on December 26, 1993. He continued to compete in FMW, though he made a few more appearances in ECW in 1994, including his famous match with JT Smith at ECW The Night the Line Was Crossed,
where Smith surprised everyone by pinning Awesome with a small package after
Awesome had crushed Smith against the guardrail. He returned to ECW in 1998, resuming his big feud with Masato Tanaka
to great acclaim. He surprised everyone by making his WCW debut on the April 10, 2000
episode of WCW Monday Nitro
while he was still the ECW World Heavyweight Champion
. He stayed with WCW until it closed and, after WWE
bought out WCW, he was brought in for the InVasion/Alliance angle, an experience he hated. He was released in September 2002 and would spend time in TNA
, Pro Wrestling NOAH
, All Japan Pro Wrestling
and some independents. His last in-ring appearance was his match with Tanaka at ECW One Night Stand
on June 12, 2005. He announced his retirement in 2006 and started a career in real estate. Sadly, he was found dead of suicide on February 12, 2007. (See Would Hit a Girl
below.) Among his in-ring achievements, he was a 2x ECW World Heavyweight Champion, a 1x ECW World Tag Team Champion
, a 1x WWE Hardcore
Champion, a 1x MLW World Heavyweight Champion
, and a 2x FMW World Brass Knuckles Heavyweight Champion
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
- '80s Hair
- Arch-Enemy: Masato Tanaka, of course, also El Vampiro in WCW
- Awesome McCool Name
- Bash Brothers: With Mr. Pogo, Big Titannote , Horace Boulder (Hogan)
- The Brute: As a heel.
- The Bus Came Back: For his match with Masato Tanaka at ECW One Night Stand 2005.
- Canada, Eh?: Not really, but he did turn heel and join Lance Storm's Team Canada stable.
- Catch Phrase: "Because I'm AWESOME!"
- Demoted to Extra: He only had one PPV match during his WWE run, which was he and Lance Storm losing to Edge and Christian at InVasion.
- He lost to Funaki on the September 7, 2002 Velocity.
- Disco Dan: He was briefly repackaged as "That '70's Guy", wearing polyester suits, driving a Patridge Family bus and hosting "The Lava Lamp Lounge".
- Downer Ending: His death at 42.
- Finishing Move: The Awesome Bomb, Awesome Splash
- Foreign Wrestling Heel: In Japan.
- Garbage Wrestler: Kinda obvious when you come from ECW, but most of his time in WWE was spent fighting for the Hardcore Title. In fact, he won it in his WWE TV debut.
- Lightning Bruiser: WCW announcer Scott Hudson loved to describe him as 'the heavyweight that flies like a cruiserweight'.
- Power Stable:
- The Quisling: He debuted in WCW on the April 10, 2000 episode of Nitro while he was still the ECW World Heavyweight Champion.
- Real Song Theme Tune:
- Red Baron: (in WCW): "That '70's Guy", "The Fat Chick Thrilla". Both as awful as they sound.
- Weapon of Choice: Tables.
- Would Hit a Girl: It was apparently what led to his death. He had had an altercation with his wife and she called the police and he was arrested. While he was in jail, his wife walked out on him. Reportedly, when he got back home he felt he had nothing to live for and he killed himself.
- In-Universe: During his title defense against 2 Cold Scorpio (w/Jazz) on the December 10, 1999 ECW on TNN, she got involved and tried punching away at him to no effect. He set her up for the Awesome Bomb but Scorpio came off the top with a clothesline to make the save.
- Wrestling Family: His cousin is Horace Hogan, who is Hulk Hogan's nephew.