Wrestling / Alexander Otsuka
"I give to the fans fights I hope they will never forget. That's the most important thing."
(b. Takashi Otsuka
in 1971) is a Japanese Professional Wrestler
and Mixed Martial Arts
fighter. A fan of amateur wrestling, he debuted in Yoshiaki Fujiwara
's Pro Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi, but got his true start shortly after in the promotion Battlarts created after the fold of Gumi. Though earlier a jobber, Otsuka eventually become one of the big stars of the company and was famous for his violent feuds with Yuki Ishikawa and Daisuke Ikeda. Also an usual wrestler for lucharesu realm Michinoku Pro Wrestling
, he moved to Pro Wrestling ZERO1
when Battlarts fell, but around the time he got known for his MMA career in PRIDE Fighting Championship; he would become a cult hero for his guts and toughness, facing the best opponents of the time and coming unfinished from fights which a common wrestler would be lucky to make it out of alive. After it, Otsuka returned to pro wrestling and showed his funniest side by adopting the comedy gimmick of Otoko Sakari, a bisexual wrestler in a thong just as weird as it sounds. Under that and his usual persona, he freelanced between all kinds of wrestling promotions in Japan through the years, especially Satoru Sayama
's Real Japan Pro Wrestling and Tatsumi Fujinami's Dradition. He doesn't seem to have the retirement on his horizon yet.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Diet Butchering Tropes":
- The All-Solving Hammer: In one of his apparitions in ZERO-ONE, he came to the ring and challenged Shinjiro Otani to a match. As Otani completely ignored him, Otsuka's solution to draw his attention was taking a fire extinguisher and spraying him in the face. After that, he did get his attention.
- Alternate Company Equivalent: He was to Japanese media more or less what Tank Abbott was to UFC fans: a loud, Boisterous Bruiser with an amateur wrestling background and a tough reputation, who was barely a cagefighter in the sense of the word, but who gave some great performances by sheer chutzpah and street wisdom.
- Anything That Moves: Otoko Sakari performs sexual advances towards any opponent, male or female.
- Arch-Enemy: In pro wrestling, Yuki Ishikawa and Daisuke Ikeda. In real life, Sanae Kikuta.
- Ass Kicks You: Sakari uses plenty of ass-based moves, including hip attacks, sitting on his opponent's face (Tsubo Genjin's old Bamiyan Stamp) and a corner headscissors which shove his opponent's face into Otoko's butt.
- Bald of Awesome: So much that he once appeared in the famous comedy show Mecha Mecha Iketeru playing a character called "Momo Hage" ("Peach Baldie").
- Bash Brothers: With Mohammed Yone (as Love Warriors) and Yuki Ishikawa. When wrestling as Otoko Sakari, Máximo and other gay wrestlers.
- Birds of a Feather: Sakari used to team up with Mexican exótico Máximo, who apparently fell in love with him after Otoko gave him his ass treatment.
- Boisterous Bruiser: A very hyper, outgoing big guy.
- Cast from Hit Points: Otsuka's trademark giant swing also takes his own balance out after using it, so he typically fails the subsequent moonsault he tries.
- Category Traitor: Upon Otsuka's return to ZERO-ONE, Shinjiro Otani called him a traitor for having left pro wrestling for MMA. Naturally Alexander did not like it.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: He always deadlifts his suplexes, meaning that he lifts his opponent without him helping by jumping.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Thoroughly. As noted in his interviews and public persona, Otsuka is mainly known for his eccentric charisma, craziness and not less crazy will to take on everybody PRIDE threw to him. Not to talk about the Otoko Sakari character.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Yellow and red or orange are the predominant colors in his tights.
- Combination Attack: Featured a tag team move with Jinsei Shinzaki called Meishan, an aided German suplex.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He appears to have dedicated his life to his trope.
- Defeat by Modesty: Not his modesty, but the crowd's one. Otoko Sakari is often defeated when his opponent compromises his attire and the ring crew throws the towel for him to cover his privates.
- Depraved Bisexual: Sakari molests both male and female wrestlers.
- Determinator: One of the toughest Japanese wrestlers ever. Not having the skill of some fellow underdogs, Otsuka instead built his career over determination and hard head.
- Escape Artist: Though not at the level of Daijiro Matsui, Otsuka was good in submission escapes, including an awesome one from a completely locked armbar by Sanae Kikuta.
- Everything Is Better With Spinning: One of his signature moves is the giant swing. He also uses the airplane spin from time to time.
- Fan Disservice: If wrestling around in a thong is not enough, Otoko Sakari once feuded with Kanjyuro Matsuyama in a cabellera contra cabellera series of matches, but as Otsuka was already bald, he bet his pubic hair. Even worse, he lost.
- Finishing Move: As Alexander Otsuka, the Alexander Screw Driver (a vertical suplex piledriver), Alek Lock (a cross-legged toehold sharpshooter), Alek Lock II (modified version of the former) and dragon suplex. As Otoko Sakari, the Bamiyan Stamp (a seated pin on his opponent's face, originally created by MPW wrestler Yone and Tsubo Genjin) and a triangle choke.
- Fundoshi: His attire as Otoko Sakari is a Japanese thong or fundoshi.
- Hard Head: Freakishly hard. His ability to absorb punishment through his skull was sometimes scary to watch, and his MMA record shows it, having got finished mostly on petty cuts instead of straight knockouts.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: He is highschool pals with Jinsei Shinzaki.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He lost his fight with Yoshihisa Yamamoto when he performed a jumping knee drop on Yoshi's back and accidentally injured his other knee in the process. Otherwise, he was winning the match, and he would have probably taken the win.
- I Know Amateur Wrestling: Trained it at high school.
- Incompletely Trained: He went on a MMA career with barely any training at all, only relying on his wrestling background, toughness and ingenuity.
- Leotard of Power: His orange and yellow wrestling singlet.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Although he was never a top grappler, he got the MMA world open-mouthed with his victory by double armbar against the bigger Mike Bourke. Not only because nobody in the U.S. wold have believed that Otsuka knew how to grapple at all, but also because the technique was a worked pro wrestling move (innovated and used as a finishing move by Otsuka's colleague Carl Greco) and would have been incredibly difficult to pull out by any grappler.
- Made of Iron: Considering the gallery of opponents he has faced in MMA and the amount of brutal strikes and suplexes he has endured in pro wrestling, any other average human would be lucky to make it out of Otsuka's career alive.
- Major Injury Underreaction: In a famous instance in PRIDE, he ended with a grotesque golfball-sized hematoma on his head caused by soccer kicks, but he looked more amused than affected by the ordeal.
- Manly Tears: After losing to Chris Haseman in RINGS due to a petty cut.
- Meaningful Name: "Otoko Sakari" has no direct translation, but it can be read as "Man in Heat" or "The Human Heat", which is explicit enough about his character.
- Odd Friendship: With boxing champion Yasuei Yakushiji.
- Precision F-Strike: According to him, "fuck your mother" were the first Spanish words he learned in México.
- Red Baron: "Diet Butcher", "Alek".
- Renaissance Man: This guy has done just everything: MMA, shoot-style, lucha libre, comedy wrestling, joshi wrestling (to his female opponents's chagrin) and everything he could get into.
- Spinning Piledriver: One of his finishers.
- Shout-Out/Homage: His ring name, Alexander, is a nod to the legendary Alexander Karelin.
- Stone Wall: His biggest assets in MMA were his durability and defensive skills. He could fend off a shroud grappler or eat strikes from a hard hitter for entire rounds.
- Technician vs. Performer: The performer against Sanae Kikuta's technician. They had a very public feud in which Otsuka, the kind of unskilled fighter who stepped on the ring to put a show, called out Sanae, the methodical grappler who didn't care about make the crowd dead bored for minutes in order to secure a submission.
- Use Your Head: In the vein of his master Fujiwara, Otsuka's wrestling style includes hard headbutts, and not the regular kind of worked headbutts, but solid ones.
- The Worf Effect: By Ken Shamrock, who is to date the only person who fully knocked out Otsuka.
- Worf Had the Flu: Fought both Egan Inoue and Igor Vovchanchyn after working a violent pro wrestling match the same days. He even came to both matches with his head bandaged.
- Worthy Opponent: Fellow shoot-style fighter Kenichi Yamamoto, who he defeated in PRIDE.