A Song of Ice and Fire
likes to throw permanent changes at the audience whenever it can, usually bloodily
, and the show based upon it's no exception. The night is dark, and full of spoilers
, so enter at your own risk.
And now his page has ended.
- Winter Is Coming, the first episode. Bran Stark winds up permanently crippled, proving that Jaime and Cersei Lannister Would Hurt a Child.
- A Golden Crown: Joffrey isn't Robert's son. Aside from that, Viserys gets death by molten gold, allowing Daenerys to finally rise up as the last Targaryen heir.
- You Win Or You Die: Jon Snow gets put on the path towards Lord Commander. More importantly, King Robert dies, meaning Ned Stark can edit his will to get his "rightful heir" on the throne, and he can show it to Cersei so she can rip it up, and Ned can be arrested, having been backstabbed by Littlefinger.
- The Pointy End: The existence of the White Walkers is finally confirmed in-universe.
- Baelor: The big one of the season: Ned Stark dies.
- Fire And Blood: Drogo dies, for the final time. The War of Five Kings, the focal point of the next few seasons, begins. Sansa gets confined to King's Landing, and Arya escapes, but sans her status. And for the final shot of the season, Daenerys gets dragons.
- The Ghost Of Harrenhal: Renly Baratheon dies, and the War of Five Kings loses its first entrant.
- ''Valar Morghulis": Winterfell gets burned down, Daenerys imprisons Xaro and Doreah forever and the army of the White Walkers is coming down upon the Night's Watch.
- Valar Dohaeris: We see the return of Ser Barristan Selmy, from the first series.
- Walk Of Punishment: Jaime Lannister loses his sword-hand.
- And Now His Watch Is Ended: Daenerys sacks Astapor, and the "Old Bear" Lord Commander Mormont is killed north beyond the Wall when the Night's Watch mutinies.
- Kissed By Fire: We find out why Jaime Lannister killed the Mad King: because he was plotting genocide by blowing up his capital city.
- The Climb: Ros dies.
- The Rains of Castamere, aka "The Red Wedding": Robb Stark dies. Catelyn dies. Talisa dies. The entire Stark army dies. ...yeah, it's a big episode. Big enough that there's actual news articles on fan reactions.