open/close all folders
- 1 - Winter Is Coming: Yes, the first episode. Bran Stark is thrown off a tower for witnessing Jaime and Cersei's incestual coupling, proving that the Lannisters Would Hurt a Child. He's left permanently crippled as a result.
- 6 - A Golden Crown: Joffrey isn't Robert's son but Jaime's. Aside from that, Viserys gets death by molten gold, leaving Daenerys as the last Targaryen heir.
- 7 - You Win Or You Die: King Robert dies and names Ned Stark regent, until his "rightful heir" (as Ned writes in the will) comes of age. When Ned shows it to Cersei she rips it up, and Ned is arrested due to Littlefinger's treachery.
- 9 - Baelor: The big one of the season: Robb Stark crosses the Twins with a marriage vow and captures Jaime Lannister at the Battle of the Whispering Wood. Ned Stark confesses to treason to save his daughters and prevent war, but Joffrey capriciously has him executed anyway. The stage is set for the saga of Westeros to come.
- 10 - Fire And Blood: Drogo dies, for the final time. Robb Stark is declared King in the North by his bannermen, and The War of Five Kings, the focal point of the next few Seasons, begins. Sansa is imprisoned and still betrothed to Joffrey in King's Landing, and Arya escapes as an unknown runaway with a contingent bound for the Wall. For the final shot of the Season, Daenerys burns Mirri Maaz Duur alive on her husband's funeral pyre and walks into it, hatching her three dragon eggs.
- 5 - The Ghost Of Harrenhal: Renly Baratheon is killed by a shadow-baby, and the War of Five Kings becomes the War of Four.
- 9 - Blackwater: Stannis's fleets and army faces off with the Lannisters at King's Landing. Wildfire wrecks the Baratheon ships, Tyrion is severely wounded (and scarred) by one of the Kingsguard, and a surprise cavalry rout by Tywin and Loras defeats Stannis.
- 10 - Valar Morghulis: Winterfell is burned down, forcing Bran, Rickon, Osha, Hodor, and the wolves to leave a dying Maester Luwin behind and venture north. Jon infiltrates the wildling army as a double agent when Qhorin Halfhand allows Snow to dispatch him in a mock-fight. Daenerys frees her dragons from the House of the Undying, burns Pyat Pree, and imprisons Xaro Xoan Daxos and Doreah inside Xaro's vault forever. Jaqen H'ghar changes his face in front of an astonished Arya. And to close the Season, we get an army of wights led by mounted White Walker generals bearing down upon the Night's Watch at the Fist of the First Men.
- 4 - And Now His Watch Is Ended: Daenerys sacks Astapor, gaining an Unsullied army, and Lord Commander Jeor Mormont is killed in a Night's Watch mutiny at Craster's Keep.
- 9 - The Rains of Castamere: Bran learns how to warg into Summer, saving Jon from the wildlings, who turn on him. He leaves Ygritte behind. Daenerys concocts a successful plan to take Yunkai, which involves one of the biggest fight sequences of the Season. And if that wasn't enough, Edmure Tully marries Roslin Frey at the Twins. AKA "The Red Wedding": Talisa dies. Grey Wind dies. Robb Stark dies. Catelyn dies. The entire Northern army dies... yeah, it's a big episode. Big enough that there's actual news articles on fan reactions.
So many it should be called Wham Season
- 2 - The Lion and the Rose: The lethal marriage receptions continue, with King Joffrey choking to death at his wedding feast and Tyrion being immediately arrested as the unjustly accused prime suspect.
- 4 - Oathkeeper: Joffrey's killer is revealed, and it's Lady Olenna! With Petyr Baelish's help, of course. Dany takes Meereen through subterfuge. Bran, Hodor, Meera and Jojen are captured by Night's Watch Mutineers at Craster's Keep and the audience (including Book Readers) gets its first look at the possible Big Bad of the entire series, The Night's King.
- 5 - First of His Name: Tommen is crowned as King. Dany decides that she's going to stay in Meereen and learn how to rule after hearing that her opponents are undoing her hard work. We also find out the real reason that the War of the Five Kings started — Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish had Lysa Arryn poison her husband Jon Arryn and made Cat believe that the Lannisters did it, thus directly sowing the seeds for everyone to be screwed over in the resulting feud.
- 8 - The Mountain and the Viper: Ramsay and Theon take Moat Cailin and eject the Ironborn from the North, with Roose legitimizing his son as a reward. Daenerys exiles Jorah for spying on her for Varys in Season One. Gregor Clegane is mortally wounded by Oberyn during the trial by combat but also manages to horrifically kill the Prince in turn, allowing Tywin to sentence his own son, Tyrion, to death.
- 9 - The Watchers on the Wall: The Wildlings attack Castle Black on two sides, with giants and mammoths. Pyp and Grenn perish in the fighting, Jon Snow kills Styr, and Ygritte dies in Jon's arms. Soon after, Jon sets out on a suicide mission to take out Mance Rayder—with no sword and no direwolf.
- 10 - The Children: Stannis Baratheon relieves the siege of the Wildlings at the Wall. Daenerys locks up her dragons after being confronted with the charred corpse of a child burnt by Drogon. Bran, Hodor and Meera Reed meet the Three-Eyed Raven and discover that the Children of the Forest are not so mythical after all, Jojen Reed dies in an attack by wights. Jaime Lannister frees his brother Tyrion, who promptly pays his father a final visit where he finds his lover Shae in his bed. He kills her and then murders his father with a crossbow and flees King's Landing with Varys. Arya Stark and the Hound confront Brienne and Podrick. The Hound is badly wounded in the fight but Arya leaves him to die and walks away, finding safe passage on a ship to Braavos.
- 4 - The Sons Of The Harpy: The Sparrows and the Sons of the Harpy make their respective moves in force. Ser Loras is arrested for his homosexuality. Barristan the Bold is fatally injured in a battle with the Sons of the Harpy.
- 6 - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken: Loras and Margarey are to stand trial, the former for his homosexuality and the latter for bearing false witness at a Faith inquest. Sansa is married to Ramsay Bolton, who then forcibly consummates their marriage, forcing Theon to helplessly watch it happen. Jaime and Bronn are captured in Dorne, and Ellaria is arrested as well.
- 7 - The Gift: Maester Aemon dies, Ramsay personally executes Sansa's ally after she tries to seek help from Theon, Samwell and Gilly make love, Tyrion and Daenerys meet through Jorah and Cersei is arrested by the High Sparrow when Lancel sells her out.
- 8 - Hardhome: Daenerys makes Tyrion her adviser and banishes Jorah once more, who willingly becomes a gladiator. Kevan Lannister is summoned as hand of the king while Cersei is mentally breaking. Ramsay plans to launch a surprise attack on Stannis with a small specialist team. Sansa learns that Bran and Rickon are still alive. In Hardhome, Tormund kills the Lord of Bones and Jon convinces plenty of wildlings to make an alliance, but the army of the dead attacks the camp and makes a massacre. Jon learns that Valyrian steel can withstand the ice weapons of the white walkers, and kills one of them with Longclaw. The Night's King appears leading the assault and stares at Jon as he flees to the ships, while the remaining wildlings are being killed, then, as a demonstration of power he resurrects the dead wildlings as wights before the survivors' eyes.
- 9 - The Dance Of Dragons: Stannis burns his daughter Shireen alive in order to win the Iron Throne. The Sons of the Harpy kill Hizdahr and attempt to kill Dany at Daznak's Pit. Dany escapes the city by riding on Drogon.
- 10 - Mother's Mercy: Following the death of her daughter, Selyse commits suicide by hanging. Stannis' sellswords desert him and join forces with the Boltons, who easily defeat his army. King Stannis himself is executed by Brienne of Tarth for the assassination of his brother Renly. Ellaria poisons Myrcella, who dies in Jaime's arms on the way to King's Landing after admitting she knows he's her father. Sansa and Reek escape from Winterfell after killing Myranda. Arya kills Ser Meryn Trant, and is blinded as punishment by the Faceless Man. Daenerys is captured by a Dothraki khalasar. Cersei is forced to march through King's Landing fully nude. The Night's Watch mutinies against a Lord Commander for the second time in the show, with a number of men lead by Ser Alliser Thorne murdering Jon Snow.