Fanfic Recs: Game of Thrones
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth being stabbed, shot, gored, poisoned, burned at the stake, burned alive by dragons, beheaded, strangled, smothered, eaten alive by rats, stabbed by a ghost baby, beheaded, turned into a whitewalker, pushed out of a moon door, or doused in molten gold for.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Game of Thrones
fanfic, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
If you are adding a fic, please help us out and use the new template-format on the Fanfic Recommendations Index Page
The North Remembers
Game Of Throne 1995 Style
- Synopsis: A continuation of the story from where A Dance with Dragons left off.
- Recommended by Eegah
Game of Stacks
- Synopsis: The author creates a fanvid about how the show would have looked like if it had aired in the 1990s, and the commentators write imaginary plots.
- Recommended by Lorialet
by Comma Splice
- Synopsis: Dr. Ned Stark, Professor of History at Crownlands University is asked by his old friend, College President Robert Baratheon, to become the new director of the school library. His new job causes dramatic changes to his family's life. Meanwhile, Tywin Lannister, CEO of Casterly Rock Enterprises deals with his disappointing children and finds a potential apprentice in his new intern, Arya Stark.
- Comments: An odd combination of a High School A.U. and Period Fic, Game of Stacks is both Game of Thrones in a modern world educational system as well as the implied future of Westeros. The characterization is spot on, with wonderful little changes thrown in to each character to modernize them to the setting.
- Recommended by Electroninja
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the characters.
Empathy & Apathy
- Pairings: Ned Stark and Cersei Lannister
- Synopsis: In this alternate universe story, Ned takes the throne instead of Robert and marries Cersei.
- Recommended by Lacey
- Seconded by Zysek. The characteritzations are spot on, especially Cersei's, and the narrative flow is perfectly measured. Pure unbridled brillance.
Out of Spiritus Mundi
- Pairings: Davos Seaworth/Stannis Baratheon
- Synopsis:A Pride&Prejudice AU featuring Stannis as Darcy and Davos as Elizabeth... don't ask. We'll see what kind of madness ensues.
- Recommended by Steerpike13713
- Pairings: Cersei/Jamie, Stannis/Melisandre, Renly/Loras, though they are not the entire focus.
- Synopsis: A Western Gothic AU using tarot cards as section breaks. Messianism and legacy and the beginning of what'll someday be a tall tale in the chronicle of Baratheon, WV. It starts with three brothers this time, and the cards are already on the table, waiting to be read.
- Comments: This fix is amazing, both as an AU and its own story. It needs to be read.
- Recommended by wolfpuppy.
The Covering Sky
- Pairings: Daenerys Targaryen and Robb Stark
- Synopsis: Eddard Stark offered her a deal. Safe return to the Seven Kingdoms but in exchange she would need to marry his son, to keep her under watch instead of killing her like Robert wanted. She accepted because she believed she could work on her plans from within. She could turn the Young Wolf in her ally. But she wasn't expecting Robb Stark not to be like the men she knew.
- Recommended by qazwsx
- Status: Ongoing
- Pairings: Jaime Lannister/Brienne of Tarth
- Synopsis: Alternate Universe from episode 3x07 in which Brienne becomes the reluctant guest of the Lannisters
- Recommended by Dell Max
- Comments: Enjoyable fic which despite some rather ridiculous situations keeps everyone thoroughly in character (One of the best Lord Tywins I've read in fanfic), what the Jaime/Brienne fans probably wish season 4 would be like.
Stories that combine elements of more than one established series.
- Status: Ongoing
- Pairings: Ramsay Bolton/Sansa Stark
- Synopsis: Petyr Baelish travels north to introduce the Boltons to his daughter, Alayne Stone.
- Recommended by They Killed Federico
- Comments: A very dark story, made all the more unsettling by being told from Ramsay's POV. The Sansa in this story is much more different and disturbed then we remember her, and their romance is equal parts unnerving and entertaining.
The River is everywhere.
A Game of Thrones: The House of Wayne
- Crossover with Garth Nix's Old Kingdom trilogy
- Pairings: Catelyn Stark/Ned Stark, Lyanna Stark/Rhaegar Targaryen, Elia Martell/Rhaegar Targaryen
- Synopsis: An Old Kingdom AU that follows Sansa as she tries to figure out her place in the world of Wallmakers, Abhorsens and Free Magic.
- Comments: For those unfamiliar with the Old Kingdom setting of the story, the author provides a guide, so no former knowledge is necessary. For those who have read Nix's series, the fic stems logically from Nix's canon, with mentions of his original characters. It is well-written, though not regularly updated - the last wait was a few months long, but worth it.
- Recommended by aoifemoran
by Occams Chainsaw 15
The Prince Who Was Promised
- Recommended by CMR Rosa
- Status: Ongoing
- Crossover with: Batman
- Synopsis: While the lords of Westoros battle for the crown, the last living member of the House of Wayne wages his own war in the shadows. Told from the perspectives of characters as it is in the books. Current characters are: Bruce, Alfred, Gordon, Dick, Selina, Harvey Dent, and the Joker.
- Comments: One of the best crossovers I every read, the author perfectly fuse the Batman mythos in the Game of Thrones world.
The House Of Elendil
- Recommended by Meimay, Ragnar The Semi Green
- Crossover with: Harry Potter.
- Synopsis: He remembered being Harry Potter. Dreamed of it. He dreams of the Great Other too, a creature of ice and death, with eyes red as blood and an army of cold, dead things. He is only the 2nd son of the King, a 'spare', but that changes when things rather left in the dark come to light, and Westeros is torn asunder by treachery and ambition. Winter is coming... but magic is might.
- Comments: The best crossover of Harry Potter/Game of Thrones you can find on ff.net. Great characterizations, good writing (sometimes there are still some misspelling but nothing too major) and a great potential, this fic is a must read.
- Has a Trope page.
A Man Of Iron
- Recommended by MrTerrorist
- Status: Ongoing
- Crossover with: The Lord of the Rings
- Synopsis: Across the Sunset Sea, they come. Nine ships and three lords and one white tree. Elendil the Tall and his people have come out of the fall of Numenor to the shores of Westeros, and now they join the Game of Thrones. They must win or die.
- Comments: A unique crossover between Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings.
by Mr Chaos
Game Of Touhou
- Recommended by Clato Lawa
- Status: Ongoing
- Crossover with: Iron Man
- Synopsis: Antony 'Tony' Stark is the arrogant cousin of Ned Stark whose made his fortune crafting fine weapons for the lords of Westeros. Tony leads a joyful life, doing what he pleases and leaving the politics of the realm to others. But when violent attack nearly ends his life, Tony decides to take action and creates a hero for the people to rally around... a knight known as Iron Man.
- Note: Other Marvel characters appear in later chapters, starting with Wolverine as a Dothraki bodyguard.
by Duwee Davis II
Son Of The Seven Kingdoms
- Recommended by RN 452, Feng Lengshun
- Status: Complete.
- Crossover with: Touhou
- Synopsis: The Touhou cast as one has never seen them before. Honor and justice, peace and prosperity, freedom and glory, chaos and strife, and a mere reunion with a lost sister... all these ambitions and more lie in the land of Noros. However, the only way to make these ambitions reality is to play the Game. The Game of Deceit, Treachery, and most of all, the Game of Thrones.
- Also available in comic format, first page here. It also has extensive side-material, detailing the traits of all factions, a map of the continent, among others.
- An amazing story, with a high amount of tension that makes you want to just keep reading it and hope it update fast. Fortunately, it does. Although there are certain canon characters that are deliberately made to be different, it has used all of them very nicely. Though there are OCs, all of them are interesting, which is quite an achievement. Very much recommendable. — Feng Lengshun
(Son Of The Seven Kingdoms
) by RantingRyuu728
Of Kings Draugr And Dragons
- Recommended by Manga Manic
- Status: Ongoing.
- Crossover with: The Elder Scrolls
- Synopsis: William Baratheon is the second son of Robert and Cersei. How will the only legitimate child of the king affect the game of thrones? Will he have the strength to protect the home he's come to love? OC x Arya, Crossover with Elder Scrolls.
(Of Kings, Drauger, and Dragons
) by DoctorEagle
- Recommened by Manga Manic
- Status: Ongoing.
- Crossover with: The Elder Scrolls
- Synopsis: The Dragonborn, Mjoll, and an assassin from the Dark Brotherhood travel to Westeros after learning that Paarthurnax senses two forces at work. Not only is a large army of ice draugr approaching, but new dragon life has also emerged. The adventurers must enter a foreign land to find out what is happening, stop the draugr, and find the dragons before they become wild and dangerous.
A Connecticut Yankee in King Robert's Court
Sean Bean Saves Westeros -- Book 1: Sean Lends A Hand
- Recommended by Milarqui
- Status: Cancelled. Being rebooted by 0100010 here.
- Pairings: Mike!Edmure Tully/Carolyn!Myranda Royce, Ned/Catelyn, Brynden Tully/Roslyn Frey, Jon Snow/Mya Stone, Arya/Gendry?, Bran/Myrcella
- Synopsis: an American engineer called Michael Killian awakes after a night drinking binge in the body (and mind) of Edmure Tully, heir to Riverrun. Using his extensive engineering (and scientific) knowledge, Mike begins to work in making life for the people of Westeros easier, by bringing new innovations like better agricultural equipment or the printing press. He soon discovers the existence of a second American, Carolyn Johnson, a nurse who has become Myranda Royce and has started to build up her own trade ventures and her modern medicine knowledge to become one of the most important women in the Seven Kingdoms. Between the two of them, they begin to work on helping the Seven Kingdoms modernize for whatever may happen in the future, but they do not know that the future may happen much sooner than they expected...
- While there are parts of the premise that are somewhat tough to believe - how fast Mike introduces firearms to his army, for example - it is quite the interesting work. If anything, the worst thing that this can be accused of is that updates were not chronologically organized, and Retcons were applied to fit readers' suggestions or other ideas. Still, it is well worth the time to read.
by High Plains Drifter
- Sean Bean Saves Westeros trope page.
- Recommended by Milarqui, Pyre Vulpimorph, chankljp
- Status: Ongoing, "Book 1" complete, continuation planned.
- Pairings: Sean/Catelyn, Robb/Roslyn Frey, possibly Arya/Olyvar Frey.
- Synopsis: after the last day of filming Ned Stark's scenes for Game of Thrones, Sean Bean receives a present: an armor to "protect" him in his next job. He goes on a drinking binge to say goodbye to the other people he has met at filming, and when he wakes up the next day, he does so in White Harbor the same day Ned Stark is killed. Sean Bean must then act in the role of his life as the real Ned Stark, not only to bring Ned Stark's family back together, but also to bring peace to Westeros before the Others appear and the Long Winter begins.
- It is probably one of the most interesting ideas to ever be written in the field of A Song of Ice and Fire's ISOT stories. The fact that Sean must use his wits, what he has learned in a lifetime of acting and every bit of knowledge he remembers from the books (passing it off as things the Old Gods have told him) only adds to the awesomeness of the story. His actions also change many things, preventing problems that happened in the books and TV series from ever taking place - such as marrying Robb as soon as possible. His inner monologues about how different things are to when he did them in the series are also quite hilarious, such as when he mentally compares every person in Westeros to their actor or actress equivalents.
- Also contains one of the most morbidly hilarious deaths Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish could ever suffer: stabbed by Sandor Clegane, who pisses into his mouth as he dies, just before he can escape King's Landing with Sansa.