Page-bottom layout change on the way. Details here.
Causes no change to editing/formatting of articles. This is just FYI.
By some weird reason, wizards and Mad Scientist
types often have names ending on "ius" (possibly just "us", but "ius" is just better). It makes their names sound more smartass and in the same time Bad Ass
Truth in Television
with Vesalius and all of the other Medieval/Renaissance scientists who used Romanized names (Keys would become Caius, to cite a real-life example), the likely inspiration for the trope. It's frequently Canis Latinicus
See also The Great Whodini
open/close all folders
- Doctor Faustus.
- Also Dr. Cornelius from The Chronicles of Narnia, a magician though not an evil one.
- Dr Igneous Cutwell, from Mort is another non-evil wizard, and is unusual in that it's his first name that fits the trope.
- The Vesper Holly series has Dr. Desmond Helvetius
- Harry Potter, of course. A lot of wizards have names ending in "us" : Albus, Lucius, Regulus, Remus, Rubeus, Severus, Scorpius, Sirius... It seems to be more frequent in the Pure-Blood families, though.
- Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's Occult Detective Dr. Hesselius.
- Dr. Cornelius from Doctor Who - a name which actually sounded somewhat jarring because of this very trope, given that he's an ordinary medical doctor.
- Dr. Gaius Baltar from Battlestar Galactica (both the classic and reimagined versions).
- Gaius,the court physician from Merlin
- Professor Psychoticus, Mike Barson's alias when Madness were pretending to be The Dangermen.
- Dr. Nefarious from Ratchet & Clank.
- Dr. Mordin Solus from Mass Effect 2.
- Most named turians throughout the series, in fact, have it somewhere in their names. Garrus, Saren and Desolas Arterius, Nihlus, Councillor Sparatus, Primarch and Tarquin Victus, General Corinthus...
- Dr. Mobius and Dr. Borous from Fallout: New Vegas.
- Dr. Genarius from Frutti Freak 2.
- Avernus, Danarius, and Corypheus from the Dragon Age series, all of whom are evil sorcerers. Silly!Hawke even lampshades this, saying that someone with a name like Corypheus is bound to go "mwahaha" at some point. Minor mage NPC Tobrius is, by contrast, a good man.
- Professor Odious from Everyday Heroes.
- Subverted in Last Res0rt when Gabriel Damascus ends up being a Doctor... except his name is actually Gabriel the Maskless.
- Other doctors in the comic include Qin Xu and Daisy Archanis.
- The Order of the Stick: Vaarsuvius, Aarindarius. And then subverted by Inkyrius, an apprentice baker.
- And of course Elan goes on to rename himself as Elanalicious.
- The Descendants has Doctor Paralus, which is his actual name but the heroes are constantly mocking it as Powerless or Perilous. A Bad Future is shown where he does in fact become Doctor Perilous.
- Dr. Viktor Capesius, Doctor of Pharmacy, physician and pharmacist in the Auschwitz death camp and right hand man to another Mad Scientist, Dr. Joseph Mengele.