open/close all folders
- There is a Dr. Vesalius in the Vincent Price movie The Abominable Dr. Phibes.
- Dr. Pretorius the mad scientist from Bride of Frankenstein.
- Dr. Morbius in Forbidden Planet
- Dr. Cornelius and Dr. Zaius from Planet of the Apes (1968).
- The title character of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.
- Dr. Sartorius in Solaris. He's not generally explicitly addressed as Dr. Sartorius, because all the men on the Solaris station are Doctors and therefore equals, but still.
- Doctor Faustus.
- Also Dr. Cornelius from The Chronicles of Narnia, a magician though not an evil one.
- Dr Igneous Cutwell, from Mort is another non-evil wizard, and is unusual in that it's his first name that fits the trope.
- The Vesper Holly series has Dr. Desmond Helvetius
- Harry Potter, of course. A lot of wizards have names ending in "us" : Albus, Lucius, Regulus, Remus, Rubeus, Severus, Scorpius, Sirius... It seems to be more frequent in the Pure-Blood families, though.
- Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's Occult Detective Dr. Hesselius.
- The Crows Tower has Icherios Cain, the protagonist, who is an alchemist and is starting to study medicine in that book of the series. He is more or less sane, though most people might not agree, seeing as he keeps a rat as pet ... A rat which, at this point, has licked up some immortality potion, and is not quite ... normal any more.
- Professor Psychoticus, Mike Barson's alias when Madness were pretending to be The Dangermen.
- Dr. Nefarious from Ratchet & Clank.
- Dr. Mordin Solus from Mass Effect 2.
- Most named turians throughout the series, in fact, have it somewhere in their names. Garrus, Saren and Desolas Arterius, Nihlus, Councillor Sparatus, Primarch and Tarquin Victus, General Corinthus...
- Dr. Mobius and Dr. Borous from Fallout: New Vegas. In their cases, however, the names also fulfill another theme, along with the rest of that level's doctors.
- Dr. Genarius from Frutti Freak 2.
- Avernus, Danarius, Decimus, and Corypheus from the Dragon Age series, all of whom are evil sorcerers. Silly!Hawke even lampshades this, saying that someone with a name like Corypheus is bound to go "mwahaha" at some point. Minor mage NPC Tobrius is, by contrast, a good man.
- Professor Odious from Everyday Heroes.
- Subverted in Last Res0rt when Gabriel Damascus ends up being a Doctor... except his name is actually Gabriel the Maskless.
- Other doctors in the comic include Qin Xu and Daisy Archanis.
- The Order of the Stick: Vaarsuvius, Aarindarius. And then subverted by Inkyrius, an apprentice baker.
- And of course Elan goes on to rename himself as Elanalicious.
- Professor Calamitus in Jimmy Neutron.
- Another Dr. Pretorius in Felidae. In the German original, his name is Preterius.
- Yet another Dr. Pretorius in The Mask animated series.
- The Venture Bros.: Dr. Byron Orpheus.
- Dr. Anton Sevarius from Gargoyles.
- Dr. Malignus, a minor recurring villain from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003).
- Dr Colossus, a throwaway gag from The Simpsons.
- Dr. Viktor Capesius, Doctor of Pharmacy, physician and pharmacist in the Auschwitz death camp and right hand man to another Mad Scientist, Dr. Joseph Mengele.